SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
duane_collie

Federal Tariffs increasing on Furniture and product from China

The KEEPING ROOM
4 years ago

New Federal Tariffs went into place at Midnight on Friday the 10th, when trade negotiations collapsed with China. When the CEO's of all the major companies return to work on Monday, you can pretty well be sure the first order of business will be discussing how these will affect their product lines, and we dealers will likely see price increases in effect in the next few weeks. The manufacturers will not absorb these tariffs, they will be passed along as price increases.

You may think "I'm not worried, the furniture I am considering buying is made in North Carolina, it's Domestic". Yes, but the cover (fabric or leather) and components such as steel springs or motion mechanisms may be from China. Some companies will raise prices on China-specific items, others will just do it across the board.

If you are considering a new purchase of furniture, keep in mind if you wait much longer you may get a surprise when you get the item quotes updated. I'm expecting nearly every maker I carry to react to this and a slew of price increases in the next 30 days, based on 33 years in the business.

Just a fair warning.....

Comments (2)