SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal48

Have you noticed..............

How many new threads are started in forums to which they have no relationship whatsoever? I just answered a question about a butterfly bush that was posted in Lawn Care!! And there are constant plant ID questions posted in the Landscape Design forum.

Most of these seem to be initiated by people new to the site that are having difficulty navigating around the forums (no wonder - they do make it very difficult) and perhaps finding the right place to post. I was just wondering if anyone had any brilliant ideas about how to improve this or even communicate to Houzz about the issue. I attribute a lot of it to the unnecessary cross-posting feature as well. It just makes everything very confusing and the forums cluttered and questions often go unanswered because of poor location......

Any ideas?

Comments (42)

• Paul NY 5b-6a
    4 years ago

Very true. The large number of forums also contributes to the confusion, but almost all online forum sites receive posts that are in the wrong sections. Some other sites have moderators that move them to the right sections.

What most gets to me is the number of posts in The Cutting Garden that are about taking cuttings for propagation.

I participate in a group that still uses a listserv. Many messages there are posted as irrelevant replies to other posts, because some of the participants don't know how to send a new message to the listserv.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked Paul NY 5b-6a
  • Related Discussions

Have you noticed?

Q

Comments (10)
    Noticed it a little while ago! They are really taking our concerns to heart it shows good faith to me! I for one am going to give the mergering powers that be the benefit of doubt and belief they maybe have some good intentions after all! I also assume they hope to drum up some new business as well but that is how the world works after all.
    ...See More

Have you noticed fewer Oleander Aphids this year?

Q

Comments (5)
    i was inundated w/ the little buggers. i tried mushing them, but then read a post about the beneficials who depend on them and keep them under control. so i pulled off my latex gloves and watched.... and waited... and lo and behold the syrphid flies did their thing, the ladybug nymphs did their thing, and the little wasps did their part as well. it was amazing to watch the boom of aphids then their almost overnight decline, then the slow build until all the predators returned and the resulting decline. amazing cycles, ebbs and flows, all the while i collected and raised over 200 eggs to adulthood :) now, the tachinid wasp 'maggots' those suckahs are a different story :( in nw ga
    ...See More

Have you noticed this on the Home Depot Altman's plants?

Q

Comments (17)
    Stanofh, My hardy cactus don't seem to be afflicted by insects other than stink bugs, but it gets below zero at night for extended periods here so everything that's not planted outside has to come in. Not much insect activity when it's cold, but March is when the insects become active. The plants are still semi-dormant at that point so they have to be spot treated for insect attacks. And those darn spider mites can do a lot of damage before I notice. They really seem to like Lobivias so any hybrid with L. heritage is more susceptible. When I think about it, my logic is flawed because I usually don't put the systemic on them until I put them back outside in April. The conundrum is: Is the systemic controlling the insects outside or are the plants less vulnerable there? I guess I'll find out next year......
    ...See More

Have you noticed - Changes in Sam's Club

Q

Comments (9)
    DH shopped Costco last week. Narrow entrance with two lines -- one for first responders. One-way in and out of Dairy and Produce sections. Spacing as customers stood in checkout lines. Entire staff in masks. DH was instructed to lay his CC on the scanner and pick it up after it registered so the checker didn't have to touch it. There was zero fruit. There was plenty of TP. Choice steak was $7.89/lb. (I see dairy farmers are selling cows due to milk product sales dropping 50%.)
    ...See More
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not only 'Design Dilemma' but that incredibly nebulous and useless 'Garden' catch-all forum!!

I hate to say this yet again, but navigating and posting in any of the gardening forums (the original Garden Web) was so much more straightforward and easier before Houzz got involved!! The FAQ's for each forum were clearly labeled at the top of that forum page (where all those suggestions for correct information and common questions were handled) and not in some remote, unrelated location. And where cross posting was discouraged - not encouraged - for the reasons I outlined. It is now just mass confusion!!

Oh, for the good old days!! LOL!!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

i could flag this post.. and hope someone in authority reads it ... lol ...

but you might think some evil plot on my part.. so i will defer ...

wonder if you can flag your own post to the same effect????

ken

• dbarron
    4 years ago

I doubt it would do much good Ken.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked dbarron
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

i used to get responses on flags ... from someone named teresa ... but that was many years ago ...

no clue if they still do such ... it was just an idea ..

ken

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

Agree ... "Garden" forum is too much a catchall.

It's doubtful Houzz will reverse course on their changes. (I'm probably not as disturbed about the site organization because I mainly only come here. I barely know what's out there.)

We do need FAQs.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked Yardvaark
  • redriver550
    4 years ago

I posted this morning I think. I had to do it three times because the first time, it continued to a page of links instead of selecting categories. The other times I clicked nothing but something else loaded and dumped my post. I like how the site looks but I like the old format better....

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked redriver550
  • perennialfan275
    4 years ago

As far as the butterfly bush question is concerned, maybe the OP posted it there because the bush was in his/her lawn, but I agree it probably would've been better in name that plant. It's also some people just aren't very familiar with all the different forums. Maybe they didn't even know this forum exists.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked perennialfan275
  • ClemsonFan Suzy
    4 years ago

Maybe those of you who use the forum frequently could come up with a short and kind way to refer newbies to the information they need re: getting the most out of the site. Those of us who “don’t do it right” are usually just doing the best they know how.

If you really don‘t like a person’s post, and you don’t feel like saying the same thing to educate them, you could always just skip over it and go to the next one.

• dbarron
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Re: CFS
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I try to educate them, and get snark back, sometimes I'm snarky.

You don't realize how thin the resources on the forum are, then the wailing begins 'Anyone out there?"

And there's the privileged response, like it was someone's JOB to reply to them or help them or answer their question.

And I hate the poster that never reply...ever.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked dbarron
  • ClemsonFan Suzy
    4 years ago

Dbaron: I appreciate your response. I really do, and I get your point. I have always been amazed that I get recommendations to my questions and how thoughtful some of them are. Believe me, I never thought anyone owed me a response. I guess I thought people who pitch in their two cents worth just did it because they like sharing their interests and skills. Thank you for your part in making this a fun place to spend some time.

• dbarron
    4 years ago

The community part is great, but there's so few of us any more. I have participated (even recently) on the other side of the fence. It's always great to have ideas that you never thought of for that annoying spot.

As Facebook (and probably forums) are for old people, we'll probably all just fade away at some point in the near future.

• User
    4 years ago

I just wish companies would stop posting ads in the landscape design forum. Maybe Houzz could create a "professional" (advertising) forum? ..yeah, right.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

"If you really don‘t like a person’s post ... you could always just skip over it and go to the next one." In the interest of time, I must do that. But it doesn't solve issue of wading through clutter, which there is quite a bit more of. Some of us explain what newbies need to do or whey they need to go. What we were saying is that we get tired of doing this over and over again.

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    4 years ago

I have noticed this also in the Pool and Spa Forum.

One thing that bothers me are the Pro's who use Houzz as a way to advertise/solicit their products or services.

I'm not sure what or if there are any rules regarding this, but I find it objectionable. The forums are for helping people.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked Mystic Pools, LLC
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

@Mystic ... it is prohibited to use the forum for advertising, but some do out of ignorance and others do by trying to sneak it in as helpful advice. I'm sure there is some that is wanton disregard of of rules. Some of these people shoot themselves in the foot by including pictures of projects that don't look all that great.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked Yardvaark
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

For the posts that are very obviously touting their services or even the only slghtly more subtle "showcasing" of a recent project with just a link to their website........if you flag the post as "spam", it will be removed. These are discussion forums, not intended for free advertising, and that sort of activity is not condoned.

Personally, any 'professional' that needs to drum up business that way is not someone I would choose to do business with anyway. There is a degree of desperation about it....and you wonder why they are not generating business via more acceptable avenues. And I find it very unprofessona!!

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    4 years ago

gardengal... was not aware of flagging as spam-thank you. Agreed, unprofessional and desperate.

Yep Yardvaark, some pretty awful showcase photos

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked Mystic Pools, LLC
  • deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    4 years ago

I have to admit to being a culprit, but my reason hasn't been mentioned above. I have by now really dwindled down to two main forums on which I post: Perennials and New England. For some reason, I feel that I should post all my questions on those because the people "know" me. I recently cross posted a rhododendron question on the Azaleas & Rhododendrons forum and felt somewhat like a new kid at a party. I have no idea why! I am not shy, am very extroverted, and actually go out of my way to introduce myself to other new people at events. Why did I feel weird posting on a new forum which included many gardeners I don't usually "see" in my two main forums? I think that with all the GW changes I'm feeling somewhat "lost," especially considering the fact that I didn't really garden for about 4-5 years recently. Many active gardeners from ten years ago are no longer here, and I miss their input, so I seem to have this sense that I'm part of a dwindling tribe when I really should be spreading and meeting new folks in other appropriate forums. I really should try to do more cross-posting and get involved in more forums.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

deanna, feel free to contribute to as many forums as you like!! But there is really no need for any cross-posting and many longtime members dislike it for the reasons already mentioned.....it just clogs up the forums unnecessarly :-) The ony reason I cross-posted this thread was to gain attention to an irritating site issue from three of the most widely accessed forums. I would never do that for any basic plant or gardenng question but only pick the most relevant forum in which to post.

btw, the more you post to different forums, the more you will be 'recognized' and become known :-) And the folks that tend to frequent specific forums do so because that is often their area of expertise and they may have more insight than what might be generated by a more generalized cross post.

• ClemsonFan Suzy
    4 years ago

Re: “advertising“ by posting responses on Houz: No one solicited anything from me, BUT I was so pleased with info I got on Houzz, especially from pro’s, than when I was actually ready to hire someone for a major reno, I requested names through Houzz. We were 100% pleased with the contractor we found, to the point that many friends have asked, “How did you find that guy? He is great!” When I tell them it was through Houzz, they sometimes seem surprised, especially that I’ve been in conversation with several folks in these issues. (“You mean people actually respond to your questions??”) I’m just saying all this to encourage the pro posters that your comments are helpful and do help your businesses, just indirectly.

• User
    4 years ago

O, I am absolutely with Deanna - I am not posting for any other reason than to chat about plants with my forum mates...and if I have a burning desire to rave on about annuals (given the moribund state of the actual annual forum which seems to grow zinnias only), I am damn well going to do so here, with my friends on the perennial forum.

I used to post avidly over on the antique rose forum until I fell out with everyone because of an argument about amending soil. There was always a big emphasis on collecting (the annual order boasts were simply tedious...and endless, endless wish lists) and many posters were, to my mind, stuck in a very dated mindset with some amazingly bizarre practices such as stuffing the planting holes with bales of hay (and this from an experienced gardener). I was becoming more and more jazzed about owning a wood and actually wanted to talk serious gardening...not more liplicking about some bloody tea rose...so my exciteable interjections were not welcome...whereas I found a second home here on perennials...where I feel able to chat about anything plant related.

GG, posting on other forums is all well and good...but many of them are just hopeless - have you looked at alpines and rock gardens (a huge interest of mine) lately? Or woodlands, which is lucky to get one post a month. I just don't want a conversation with myself and I don't want to trawl all over Houzz either, in search of interesting posts (such as the segregated regional forums which could be fabulous, for all I know but who has time to go all over the site) and moreover, the simple SOB is, I find, the best way of maintaining some sort of democratic freedom rather than yet more limits, and even smaller communities of gardeners.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

LOL!! Camp, I have to agree with you about the rose forums. They seem to attract some unusual personalities and foster all manner of bizarre practices that have no sound horticultural basis. I recently had to comment on a thread that asked about treating downey mildew with manure!! As if!! I have no issue with true rosarians but they seem to be few and far between.

And I can totally support remaining centered in forums that are your primary interest and Perennials is broad enough of a categiory to encompass darn near anything.

It is really just the cross posting thing that bugs the daylights out of me :-)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    4 years ago

Usually, if you read a cross posted thread in one forum it marks it as read in the others. Sometimes not and I think those cases involve how GW was/is split. I must say, I'm guilty of cross posting.

All newbies need to be aware of THIS LINK.

tj

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    4 years ago

I can understand the need to limit cross posting, but I generally limit my cross posting to the New England forum + a focused forum to ensure good zonal feedback. As an example, when I posted to the Azalea/Rhody forum I wanted to be sure to hear from people in my zone. Comments from Georgia on winter damage in Maine might not be as applicable!

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) thanked deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

deanna, you lucked out as one of the most knowledgeable and experienced posters on the Azalea and Rhody forum happens to live in Maine as well.

• User
    4 years ago

Heres a thing though. Both you and i GardenGal, have the great good luck of living in a temperate maritime climate zone and can, therefore, grow plants from a vast geographical area. I can quite see why someone living in the freezy north doesn't want to have to go through posts referencing plumaria, gardenia, palms and I guess it works the other way round, too. Huge climate differences in the US means a limited choice of plants...whereas I am interested in plants from a wide area so the regional forums are really annoying - tantalising as well since there will be interesting posters with their own expertise.

4 years ago

Yes, gardengal, that fact did not escape me! I have a suspicion as to where he is, but there's no way for me to confirm it without contacting him. I was very very grateful for his post!

Yes, Camp, the regions are indeed so very different. It's interesting because as a beginning gardening I think we all are usually limited in understanding to merely zone temperatures. Living where I do has emphasized so many regional differences. My same zone is found all the way down south, but the two areas could not be more different. Between humidity, length of seasons, rainfall, etc., it's quite fascinating how the areas can be different and yet be in the same zone.

• perennialfan275
    4 years ago

Yes, over the years I've learned that when it comes to gardening there's a lot more to it then just hardiness zones. Soil and climate are also very important. I've always wanted to grow blueberries and they're definitely hardy in my zone, but unfortunately my soil is not acidic enough for them so they will not do well. I'd love to grow lupines and delphiniums here too our summers are too hot and the soil does not drain well enough (actually I probably could grow them but I don't think they'd live very long or be very happy).

• dbarron
    4 years ago

I've seen nice delphs in South Dakota, but it's dry and cold there. Also in the mountains in New Mexico (but similar cooler/arid conditions).

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    4 years ago

I honestly feel like there are simply too many forums. Even before Houzz took over I would find myself wandering across a dozen or so different ones to see if anything new was posted. Sometimes there was but not always. Now that the amount of users has dwindled I rarely look at any except for a few. There's just no activity on some of them.

If Houzz really wanted to revamp the site and make it more user friendly I would think some forums would have to go. A lot of them now are lucky if they get a few posts/comments a month. With such little use what is the point of keeping them active? Close the ones that are more or less dead but keep them on the server so the information that was shared by the community can still be accessed and read.

Simply by doing this it would redirect people to the other, more active forums and new users would not be confronted by a couple hundred or so different forums to choose from when creating a thread. Meaning they would be more likely to choose the correct one to post in, as well as being more likely to get their question(s) answered.

Yes, FAQ's need to be put back up on their respective forum. Same goes for the links to related forums. And I do hate the cross posting feature at times. Not always but sometimes.

Rodney

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    4 years ago

I just don't find it that big of an issue. I go to the forums that interest me, see a thread I'm interested in and read that, or read the top most current threads if I have the time and post if I'm inclined to. At that point, I get notification in my email box and I click on that link to go back to it and if I'm done with the thread, I switch off notifications. I'm not paying attention to what everyone else is doing. And if I have a directed question, I normally choose the one specific forum that seems most likely to have the traffic and interest to answer my question. I basically use three forums most of the time, with an occasional visit to others.

I like that there are a lot of specific forums, but at the same time, the few times I have a need to visit some of them, there's not enough traffic to benefit from that forum being specific to what I need and I end up going back to one of the main forums to post or search.

I have more issue with Garden Web/Houzz overall. I really miss the old format we used to be able to interact with before GW moved to Houzz. I thought it was a lot more user friendly.

4 years ago

Prairiemoon- Definitely agree that GardenWeb/Houzz has a lot of issues. Especially their mobile website which I use nearly exclusively. Seems I am always getting some type of glitch but that's a rant for a diffrrent thread. haha

"I like that there are a lot of specific forums, but at the same time, the few times I have a need to visit some of them, there's not enough traffic to benefit from that forum being specific to what I need and I end up going back to one of the main forums to post or search."

That's what I was referring to in my previous comment. I am almost exclusively in the vegetable forum nowadays but I used to check the allium, hot peppers, pumpkin, heirloom, and square foot gardening forums and there just is very little activity on those nowadays. At least compared to what there used to be. They could easily be closed and/or merged with the vegetable forum. Why does there still need to be a Growing Tomatoes forum and a Tomato Pests & Disease forum? There's little traffic on the pests and disease forum so why not close it and combine it with growing tomatoes?

Here's an example of a dead forum: I was scrolling through the list of them last night and saw that there was a dried and pressed flower forum. I didn't even know it existed and apparently few others do either, or else it is just not much of a hobby, because the last comment was from September 2018. So why keep it around?

Anyway. Rant over.

Rodney

• ClemsonFan Suzy
    4 years ago

Rodney: Does Houzz respond at all when you recommend changes like this?

• User
    4 years ago

I've seen one thread so far that actually got some (noncommittal) responses from an official Houzz person. I forget the exact topic, but it was forum improvement related or troubleshooting related. Wasn't too long ago.

Of course, that official Houzz person was pretty thoroughly harassed by at least one forum poster ("Your forums are terrible! Make these changes! Let me buy the forums from you and make the changes myself! I have no idea how much the forums are worth, so I am making you an absurdly low offer! Hey, why aren't you responding any more?!")

Judging by that thread, I have my doubts that Houzz sees that kind of engagement as productive.

I don't have a really clear memory of the format before Houzz, but I remember that when the forum changed to Houzz I was absolutely shocked by the number of different garden forums. There are way, way too many for the amount of activity this place gets, and I saw (and still see) no benefit in it. Even out of the 4 or 5 I frequent that are not overlapping topics as described above, 2 or 3 of them are barely active (sigh..)

4 years ago

Suzy- I actually haven't ever brought it up to Houzz. What I have said in this thread has more or less been my own personal thoughts up until now.

Rodney

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    4 years ago

I understand and agree that there is not enough activity in many of the 'sub' forums, but so what? I guess I just don't understand the push to get rid of them? What are they hurting by existing? They're there in case someone wants to make the effort to post and get a response and when someone posts to them, don't they pop up on the main page of current threads?

• User
    4 years ago

Generally, online communities thrive with more participants, and decline when there start to be barriers to attracting or retaining newer users. New users are important because there is always an attrition rate of existing users. My concern with the excessive number of barely utilized forums is that they will serve as a barrier to retaining newer users.

The people that show up looking for help or discussion, post in a mostly dead forum and get few to no responses, are unlikely to hang around, in my opinion.

Condensing forums helps address this by concentrating active users into a smaller "area", making interaction with newer users more likely, and responses more plentiful.

In addition, I think that spreading the current users out across so many sub forums may hasten the attrition rate in some cases, as people who are used to posting in only certain sub forums may stop participating as those forums become less active - even though there may be plenty of active users willing to engage on those topics in other, similar sub forums.

The fact that posts show up on one main page is of little help, in my opinion. For me on mobile, my "main page" posts are only from forums I have chosen to follow - which means I don't see posts from any other forums unless I purposefully visit them. And even if your main page shows posts from a lot of different forums, less active forums are still likely to be overlooked as they quickly get buried by the activity in more active forums. For example, I added some of the rose forums to my list of followed forums, and now I miss threads in other, less active forums because the high number of new rose forum posts push those other threads pretty far down the page pretty quickly.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    4 years ago

Good explanation, illsstep, makes sense. You might be the right person to bring it to the attention of the Houzz staff. :-)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    4 years ago

I hate to say this yet again, but navigating and posting in any of the gardening forums (the original Garden Web) was so much more straightforward and easier before Houzz got involved!!

That's a feature, not a bug. The more you have to click around, the more ads are displayed, and the more money they make.

• User
    4 years ago

Might ne a bug.