SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

Question on node theory and blooming of citrus seedlings.

Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I have a Clem-Yuz hybrid grown from seed that had to grow about 7 feet before it finally bloomed last season (2018) at the very tip-top of the plant. No fruit came of it.

THIS season (2019), the plant bloomed again, however this time there were many, many more blooms and many blooming much further down on the plant -- even as low as 2 feet above soil level (granted that some of the lower branches are quite long and are arching downward). I am aware of 'citrus node theory' that says a citrus seedling must grow a certain number of nodes (where leaf meets stem) before the growth becomes mature enough to bloom and bear, but I also wonder if something else comes into play. Could it be that there must be a 'critical mass' of mature growth before some of the tree is able to bloom? Maybe this lower growth had already attained maturity (required node count), but didn't 'kick in' until more of the tree had become mature -- like maybe some hormone was given off in adequate concentration? I wish citrus professor Dr. Manners were still monitoring these conversations to comment.

I am thinking of reducing the height of my plant by a couple feet next winter. I want to see how reducing the amount of mature growth at the top affects blooming of the lower branches -- will they continue to bloom again? -- or will they cease until the plant has grown back its critical mass of mature growth?

So for those who have grown seedlings to fruit bearing size, I welcome your comments and observations.

Comments (21)