SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristi_muller

Designer/Furniture Store Took My Money and Won't Deliver

Kristi Muller
4 years ago

Hi - I've been in a home renovation project since Jan with a GC and a Designer. In February, our Designer took $20,000 from me for an invoice full of all the furniture for our updated rooms. She installed about 9K worth on 3/9, and said the rest would be in the following week. As several delivery dates came and went, I asked for tracking number, then order confirmation numbers, and designer became hostile - and quit, but with $10K of our money still in hand. I have been able to confirm via 1 vendor, and later by the Designer herself as she attempted to "cut a deal" and give me $2200 of the 10K in furniture, if I agreed to give her another $2500, then later an offer to give me 4900 of it (but wrote she'd have to order or go buy it) for $2500 - which tells me she spent my money months ago .

Once company, Destination Lighting, worked hard to get me answers, but ultimately they can't deliver the items I paid for. Alder and Tweed Furniture wrote on my Insta account they'd help, but they have not responded (of the items received, most is there, and one item is damaged and another non-functional - a table the top won't screw on to - maybe two different tables. Uttermost says they can't discuss the details of direct customers transactions, but I called there a month ago and a rep on the phone has already admitted that my orders were never placed.

I'm trying to find out if this is a common problem? If so are there groups advocating for change? The big furniture companies seem to act like it's not big deal, and I'm shocked by that - makes me think it's an issue they are comfortable dealing with.

I'd love any feedback or experience shares around this.

Comments (168)