SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southernstitches

Louisiana Flood took my cabinets- help please

Mary
7 years ago

I have to replace 14' bottom run on one side and 10' on the other, plus a pantry. Uppers the same except for a 32" window. Galley kitchen. My former cabinets were custom knotty alder with Old Masters Dark Mahogany finish. We didn't have flood insurance. Please, before you consider me an idiot, know that our neighborhood hadn't ever flooded since it was built in the mid 70's. We were not in a flood zone.

Anyway it was only about 7 years ago when the great folks here helped me renovate that kitchen. I learned here about the microwave drawer that I adore. Appliances were saved thankfully. The cabinets could have been saved. We didn't have the help to do more than gut the sheet rock, and husband thought the cabinets would be fine if he just cut holes on the backs and put fans on them. Two weeks later we find he was wrong. Serv Pro came and measured too much moisture that had been there long enough for mold to set in, and we saw de lamination was occurring when we pulled them out. My granite was saved and hopefull can use it again.

Sorry this is so long! I just want to give you the perspective. We did get an SBA loan of $48k, and $15k from FEMA. That has to cover sheet rock, painting, trim and baseboards, new floors and cabinets. Living area is 1608. We are VERY blessed to be able to live in our travel trailer in our back yard!! It has electrical hookup and we can use the toilets in the house.

So I am going to have to do all new purchased cabinets. I'm hoping there is a company that has a wall oven cabinet where the microwave drawer will fit under the wall oven. It appears most that have a oven/micro cab have the micro on top. That won't work with the drawer.

All the salvaged furniture and appliances are in our shed. There is nowhere to store RTA cabinets nor can my husband do it for several reasons. We will have to go with a package where they keep the cabinets till they are ready to install. There are no custom cab makers available in the area at all. We will be very lucky to get a contractor who will even show up. Most don't even answer the phone or call back they are so swamped. Understandably they only want to work on insured homes, or people they know have the $$, and are telling them to just fix it at whatever price. They are not giving itemized estimates, just one number. I am not kidding. I understand they are thinking with over 100,000 homes and properties needing work, they will be very busy for the next couple of years, but then their work will likely drop off sharply, so they are making the money now. I can't complain, as businesses have been very generous. LensCrafters have me an employee discount for replacement glasses lost in the flood, and Flooret is sending 8 free samples of flooring to me.

Any suggestions of mid range cabinets lines to look at? Ones where I could perhaps have my oven configuration as I'd like?. Thanks for any help!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm