SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_484875537

Chimera African Violets

Hyn Patty
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Do you have and want to learn how to propagate your chimera African Violets and don't know how? Post here and I'll be happy to help. I produce mine by encouraging them to sucker or by bloomstalk propagation. Let's post some photos and discuss our methods with those who may not have been brave enough to try.

Below is Yukako from Japan. This one is very easy for me to propagate because it produces large leaflets on the bloom stalks which make it stupid easy to grow baby chimeric replicas.

Yahichyo below is also from Japan and one of my favorites. The bloom stalk leaflets however are VERY small. Typically this one is more of a challenge to produce by that method though I find inserting them into damp sphagnum moss and sealing into baggies under bright light works about half of the time or more.

Alternatively this plant produces suckers readily that can be sliced off with an exacto knife and potted up in mix or sphagnum moss and root readily. Occasionally I will cut out the center of a crown, remove it to reroot (again very easy) and then the remaining stump with a few leaves left in the original pot will quickly begin to produce many suckers!

The leaf chimera known as Rob's Lucky Charm readily suckers prolifically. It is easy to separate the suckers with a sharp knife and pot them up in baggies for humidity.

I also once did an experiment with Rob's Lucky Charm where I cut one plant up into leaf pieces - but every leaf piece had some of the main stem and a dormant bud at the base of the petioles. I then potted up each leaf with the stem tissue and sealed into baggies and within a few weeks I had...

MANY Rob's Lucky Charm leaf chimeric plants! Only ONE of these did not come true to the parent and was discarded.

Chimeric trailers such as Pixie Runaround Sport or Rob's Miriwini are very easily propagated simply by dividing the crowns. Every time I repot these I find they have grown so crowded that I have to break up the crowns and often have some or many extras to trade. The same is true of leaf chimeras that are trailers. Generally these are the best chimeras to start with if you haven't ever grown chimeric African Violets before and do not wish to invest a lot of money into a single plant.

Lastly, BEWARE of what is offered for sale on Ebay. I see a /lot/ of plants listed for sale there as 'chimera' African Violets and many of them are not in fact flower nor leaf chimeras. If in doubt, always ask friends who are familiar with chimeras to have a look and give their opinion. Flower chimeras should have the 'pinwheel' stripe through the flower (even if it's faint) but there are a lot of look a likes that are NOT chimeras such as the bi-colored Optimaras. Leaf chimeras can be highly variable but generally have a strip of lighter or darker color up through the /center/ of the leaves.

I am looking to expand my own chimera African Violet collection. If you have extra plants or suckers you may wish to trade or sell, PM me. Or if you want to try to propagate your own but aren't sure how that is the purpose of this post! I'm glad to help and I encourage others to chime in. Chimeras are not propagated by leaves alone, like other African Violets, nor do they pass on the chimera patterns through seed.

Comments (23)