SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

The Phantom Tollbooth, er, House

bpath
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

The Phantom Tollbooth is my all-time favorite book (I'm a sucker for good wordplay) so when I saw this house, designed by the author (who was primarily an architect), on the market, I had to take a photo-tour. I'm in love. I can't seem to display the pictures, so just the link here:

Norton Juster-designed house

Hmm, looks like I can get a few, here's the outside. Definitely 1970s style. Not that that's a terrible thing. (these photos are from Curbed, who seem to have a knack for using the worst photos from a listing.)

Now, could I live in it? Well, the location is a bit secluded for me, especially up the hill like that. And in the winter...is there no garage? eek. And lots of steps from the parking pad. No powder on the first floor. 3 guest bedrooms but one of them is wee small. Master is a loft. Yeah, yeah, I know, all the stairs, just to get into the house, what about aging in place? Well, you won't. But the price? Yeah, I could spring for that.

But, look at the interior. The open main floor, but the kitchen is a bit separated which I like. Yes, it's small, but I'm thinking it's a weekend house, I have no intention of preparing 3 huge meals every day for a family of 6, and it keeps the kitchen from being the hangout. Hang out in the public spaces, on the terrace, on the lawn!

And the "away room", pre-Sarah Susanka, with the fireplace (and a matching one upstairs). The views. The open central passageway guiding you through the house. The wide light-filled stairs. The warm woods and light walls. And the views. There's a sauna off the master! and an away room so I can stay up late and read without disturbing DH.

I can't tell what's between the range and the "away space", and the wall behind the settee looks like an afterthought, so maybe there was a utility or pantry space at one time?

Are or were there window coverings? The house seems to face east, so I certainly hope so.

What do you think?

Comments (9)