SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkayetwvz5

Slightly OT - any hints for speeding up tree stumps and root decay?

lkayetwvz5
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I had two rows of espaliered fruit trees - one side was apples and one side was pears. Because of poor to no production of fruit here (this is the second time I tried) I cut them all down two and three years ago. The 4x4 posts and the framework are still there and I would like to put roses on it but I am left with 10" stumps and lots of huge roots. My husband cross hatched the stumps with the chainsaw but it hasn't helped at all to start them deteriorating. The only thing we tried once with a huge tree that fell was burning the stump by building a charcoal fire on top of the stump several times. I also read in an old magazine to pour straight ammonia on the stump and cover with black plastic. If I remember correctly it didn't do anything. It took over 10 years and lots of sowbugs to eventually break the top down so we didn't hit it everytime we mowed. But I am sure the lower roots are probably still there - the tree was huge. Any ideas for using these areas for roses?

This is the only picture I could find showing one and a half sections when I first started putting them in. There are four full sections on each side of this garden.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!