SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tanna_m

Will island be taller with miter edge?

Tanna M
5 years ago
We would like a 2 to 3 inch mitered edge on our island to give the illusion of a fat slab of quartz. We decided to do this after our cabinets are already mostly installed.
I would guess the countertop usually rests on the top of the cabinets? So I assume we need to build up the top of the cabinets with extra plywood to make space for the longer vertical edge of the counter so it doesn’t stop us from opening drawers/cupboards? Since our cabinets are not custom and don’t have extra high tops (space above the drawers)...
If only the island has the mitered edge is this going to make the island countertop taller than the rest of our kitchen that does not have the mitered edge? Is that unusual? Will it look weird? Will it be uncomfortable? I’ve seen lots of photos like this but I don’t know how it’s done and I’ve never actually seen it in person.
Am I correct to assume that you can’t really do a mitered edge in an area where there is a range because the range comes with a certain height, and adding plywood and extra edge to the counter will make the counter taller than the oven?

Comments (6)