SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pink_peony

Zone 7B for Dummies

5 years ago

I have a slew of ongoing questions and decided i would create a thread that i can go back to over time with my random gardening questions. We have been in Carolina for 12 years but i still can’t seem to grasp how to garden correctly here. Y’all have been helpful on another post i began about topiaries so I’m hopeful this will be a great source for me to finally develop the garden I’ve been trying for for 12 years.

my first question is i am looking for a evergreen ground cover to plant in my beds that will take the place of having to use pine straw or mulch. I saw one at a model and found out it is called creeping Jenny. The gal af the local nursery said it would be great for what I’m looking for and would be grown in by end of summer. However she said i would have to keep it cut back. Spoke to a guy at Lowes who warned me against it and said it was incredibly invasive and even with regular pruning it would take over my beds and antubing planted in them. I don’t know who to believe. Read a few things online that made me think the first gal at the nursery was more spot on. Also based on what i saw at the model home , which has been there for two years the ground cover was full but easily groomed. I would love to hear advice on this and if it isn’t a good choice what would be. My beds will be full mid Day to sunset sun and back beds are morning to mid day sun. Thanks. Here is a picture of the creeping Jenny i love.

Comments (16)