SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kat2533

Help! Bad decor and arrangement in small room

Katie B
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I recently found an awesome vintage armoire and mirrored dresser and added it to my room. While I like the new furniture, I feel like the room is very boring and has a bad furniture layout and decor. I like a more colorful rustic, farmhouse or mod like look since I already have my mixer and music in my room too. What irritates me the most about this room is when the wall comes out in the corner (I will post more photos). I have this cool Japanese like lamp that I feel like could be a focal point in the room but right now I don't know where to put it and I would like a music station/spot for my guitar amps. Please recommend ideas of how I can decorate and lay my furniture out since it's a very small room. Any color changes in the comforter etc is recommended too. I'll upload room dimension photos. I would like to work with the furniture I currently have if possible. Thanks :)

Comments (48)

• gigirambles
    5 years ago

Do you have a need for that many dressers? By my count, there are at least five?

• Katie B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I got stuck with some hand me downs
  • Related Discussions

Help with designing/arranging/decorating living room

Q

Comments (8)
    The room is looking a bit bare....curtains floor to ceiling and roman woven wood blind in the window are a possibility or just beefing up the wood trim around the window as is to give it more presence. A pair of end tables and lamps on either end of the sofa. Another chair in an accent color, maybe a pattern, to the right of the fireplace. Tree in the corner art work in the room. Here is an inspiration room......lamps to balance the TV, round objects in room to soften the square areas, art work on the wall, end tables that match each other but not the cocktail table, lamps on either end of sofa.....if not using curtains at window then finishing the windows out with wide molding to add interest, a paint that contrasts with the furnishing a bit, chair in pattern on a diagonal to sofa adds interest, fills the room, helps to balance the furniture arrangement.....a room takes a lot of stuff and the sofa and chairs you have are a great start. You just need to plan the rest of the room, and shop and fill in where needed.
    ...See More

family room decor/ furniture arrangements help

Q

Comments (7)
    Nice large window and hardwood floors! Here's a few things to think about: 1 Turn the rug so the long side is facing the sofas. Then bring the sofas in closer off the walls and have the front leg sit on the rug. 2 A coffee table 3. Bring the two teal chairs closer to the sofas to create a conversation area and not block the lovely fireplace. 4. Remove the mirrors (They are hung too high) and get one large piece of art 5. Try longer curtains that just touch the floor, maybe in teal . Two panels per side. 6 Does the chair that is suspended from the ceiling have to stay?
    ...See More

Help me decorate and arrange my living room.

Q

Comments (5)
    Will leather furniture replace the chairs or sofa? If not, you could do a leather ottoman as a way to work some leather in. If you get another rectangular coffee table i would turn it the other way and center it at the sofa. I would probably change up the art on the wall behind the chairs to one large piece or maybe four same size pieces set up in a grid. Maybe paint the light switch plate to match the wall cover, or at least change it to ivory or white. What does it look like to center the console/sideboard cabinet under the pass through? I think to warm it up you could add texture and color somewhere....Pillows, throws, wicket basket with a plant in it, add another plant or two
    ...See More

Help needed - Living room furniture/decor arrangement!

Q

Comments (18)
    As far as arranging furniture with the columns, I would tend to ignore them and group seating around the fireplace. You are always in good company with a more flexible 3-seat sofa and two upholstered armchairs (or swivels.) I think a sectional will just add another complication to the space. What is opposite the fireplace? Are there any floor outlets near the columns or actually in them? Is there any electrical wiring in the bulkhead above them? They might be interesting if lighted. You could also install some glass shelves between the two that are near the exterior wall. Lighted from the top, that would be a great display for something like colored blown glass. As for the lighting, you can find less expensive variations on those. Scaling them for your room size will also lower the price somewhat.
    ...See More
  • njmomma
    5 years ago

I was just going to ask that question gigirambles lol

• njmomma
    5 years ago

This could be a very cute room, but you must choose what stays and what goes.

• Katie B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here's the lamp I would like to eventually make room for. I just don't want to get rid of the wrong furniture and rather ask others with experience in interior design or style

• njmomma
    5 years ago

Totally understand, hopefully Interior Design Experts will come and help you out. Good Luck.

• Katie B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Overall room sizes

• Katie B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

furniture approximate

• cawaps
    5 years ago

I'm with Partim. Keep the two new pieces and get rid of the black dresser and the tall dresser at the end of the bed. Put the new armoire at the end of the bed and the dresser with the mirror opposite it (more-or-less). Put the Japanese lamp in the corner by the windows and use the free space in that corner for guitar and amps. If you need a nightstand next to the bed, look for something petite.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

I remember your new '"vintage" dresser and wardrobe in my aunt's home in 1952 and it wasn't really good furniture even back then. It was mass produced for a certain price point. It's certainly further from 'farmhouse' than your other items. I would get rid of it.

• Jora
    5 years ago

I'm a tad claustrophobic, (and def. NOT a pro), so I vote for getting rid of as much furniture as you can .

I'd keep the black dresser (under the window) and put your Japanese lantern to the left of the window.

I'd keep your new piece (the piece to the left of the first picture), your bed, and your guitar, and get rid of everything else in your room.

• Katie B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Any recommended sites where I can sell clothing or other things? I am not sure which sites are secure or legit and I'm not even sure if it's in demand. I've only donated to Goodwill before. A lot of the excess furniture has come from friends and family giving away their furniture since they love to thrift shop but I should probably downsize the furniture collection. I kind of thought my room was like a closet myself haha despite the critical comments
  • Katie B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    and the black dresser is actually a dark forest green... I'll have to upload a better photo of the color sometime
  • PRO
    Thanksgiving Interiors
    5 years ago

This is my dream project! Some furniture probably would have to go elsewhere, but.. Have you considered a dresser in an unexpected place, like the entryway, or kitchen for storage? www.thanksgivinginteriors.com

• DH
    5 years ago

I don’t think your room is boring! It actually has quite a bit of personality. Easy to see that you have a passion for music.

I think your first problem is that you have too much furniture in the room right now. I agree with others that its its time to purge some clothes and other belongings, so that you don’t have a need for that many dressers/storage pieces in the room. I used to have too many clothes myself, so I personally know how great it feels to get rid of things you don’t really use or like.

If you like the style of those those new pieces, and they are working well for you in terms of functionality, don’t worry that they aren’t “good“ pieces of furniture. But I would recommend that you fix the drawer. If you can’t, I would reconsider keeping them. I would hold out/save up for something that is both a style that you like and is in good shape.

• DH
    5 years ago

And while you are “downsizing,” think some more about what style you like. I understand it is hard to have a particular style when you are using hand me down furniture, but I think there are ways to transform what you decide to keep, such as painting it all one color, that will help your room more cohesive and set a mood.

For example, right now you have several different styles going on: the Japanese light (which could also be considered modern); boho/hippie with the tie dye bed spread, rock and roll, with your guitar, amp, and artwork, and now the 50’s dresser and armoir, that has a slightly Art Deco, but with a somewhat feminine, more curvy and frilly vibe to it.

I think a good way to start pinning down the style you want, is to start looking through pictures of bedrooms here on Houzz, and saving anything you like to an idea book. Note what it is you like about each photo. Pretty soon, you’ll start to see some trends and patterns emerge: Such as you really like clean, modern lines with a bit of Asian flair (like your Japanese lamp), or you like romantic rooms that have some frills and softness to them. Or maybe you’re a truly hard core rock and roll gal and want to go with that theme.

Using your Japanese lamp as inspiration for your room makeover is a great idea, if that‘s the style you want to go with, but I’m not sure it should be a “focal point.” Usually, the focal point of a bedroom is the bed. And I sense that you want a bit of a bed makeover too, so think and dream big, then we can start helping you get there.

I’m going to start looking photos of Japanese style rock and roll bedrooms in the meantime. I’ll let you know if I find anything.

• partim
    5 years ago

Before you get rid of any furniture, be absolutely sure that the new items function just as well for you. One of the drawers seems to be broken. My parents have an almost identical chest of drawers (purchased 1955), and the drawers have always been very sticky and hard to move - wax on the wood glides helps somewhat. Also, the drawers are very deep, and it's hard to prevent a big mashed up drawer that's hard to find things in. The Konmari style of rolling clothes in sub-boxes may help with this, but you may not want to do this. You may find that the improved style does not make up for the decreased functionality, and then regret having gotten rid of your other furniture. So use the new furniture for awhile first.

The market for used items vary so much from place to place that it is difficult to give you advice. Maybe if we knew your city then some local people could advise you. But you may well find that it's not worth the time (meeting or mailing) and trouble to sell items that don't have an individually high price tag. Again the Konmari method may help you get over the psychological barrier to simply donating these items. If you have a lot of sentimental items, you can take a photo of it and let the actual item go.

Some years ago, before Marie Kondo, I helped my clothes horse mother pare down her wardrobe. For example, we brought together all the clothes in one category, for example her long sleeve tops, then subdivided to wooly long sleeve sweaters, then subdivided to wooly long sleeve cardigan sweaters, then asked the question "Which of these do you like best?"

Is there a closet door that can be reinstalled? Do you have curtains or blinds on your windows?

• samondragon
    5 years ago

May I ask how old you are? The twin bed? The mish-mash of furniture? All the "stuff" ALL Over? First off, I'd heavily purge the clutter, clothes & knick knacks both on the furniture & windows. Invest in a bigger bed. Once you purge, maybe you can actually fit more clothing, etc. into the closet. As it shows now, it's totally inefficient use of that space. I think the 50"s furniture you bought seems bulky in there but if you love them, you can make it work but you must get rid of the multiple dressers. The problem with vintage furniture is that they often smell old & musty inside the drawers. Check yours for such odors. You don't want clothing placed in stinky drawers. If the furniture smells, get rid of it & choose to keep one of the other dressers. And, just because you received furniture from others, doesn't mean you have to keep it. As for the music & equipment, you can inexpensively buy (from Target, online, IKEA) adjustable wire shelving units that you can put together in minutes. I suggest one that has 3 or 4 shelves & perfectly fits receivers, turntables, etc. Take down everything from the walls & get rid of the wall art you don't want. Once the room is purged & cleaned, you can take the wall art & reposition everything into a more pleasing collage. Look on Houzz for ideas & suggested hanging for photo walls.

• Katie B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I'm not revealing how old I am. That's totally unnecessary.
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

I see chalk paint to change into a somewhat muted color - even funky if only 1 piece is done.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Your art would be seen better with less items in the room. This photo shows how accent color looks good with muted furniture / imo, your guitar, your art, could be appreciated more with less wood stain.

Rustic chest of drawers by Ildiko Horvath in Annie Sloan paint · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/rustic-chest-of-drawers-by-ildiko-horvath-in-annie-sloan-paint-rustic-bedroom-oxfordshire-phvw-vp~112660023

• Katie B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Love the color accent idea! Best idea by far. Thank you.
  • tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Not boring at all. You have lots of decorating personality. The new pieces are cool to look at but, as advised above, you have to get rid of some of the big pieces. Just to confirm - everything must stay in this room or leave the house completely?

• Katie B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I'm open minded to new ideas. I'm probably not going to keep all of the furniture. I just want to keep the pieces that are best for the layout of the small room. I also used some of those dressers for multi functional things like entertainment storage but I could easily move that probably to another room
  • partim
    5 years ago

I wouldn't chalk paint the new pieces. To my eye, their charm is in the woodwork.

Aesthetically, the design of a room is not much different from the design of a painting or sculpture. The objective is to move the eye in a pleasing way from one point of interest to another. The challenge and fun of doing this in a room is that it also has to function as a place to live.

In this room, the windows are very attractive and because of the light they will be the natural place for the eye to go when entering the room. So the showpiece of the room should be on the wall to the left of the window where Katie now has the mirror dresser. One of the new furniture pieces could go there, or it could be a big gallery wall, floor to ceiling, of the most interesting wall art, with a music area in front. Then as you enter the room, your eye will move around to the other walls, and we'll try to created interesting areas to look at there too.

And that's why a cluttered room isn't as attractive. The little things hanging from the windows or sitting on top of dressers aren't big enough to be say anything about you but they're enough distract the eye from moving to the items that we want to focus on. Same with small pictures on narrow bits of wall, or the open closet.

The room should reflect your interests and personality, but too much stuff just dilutes the message. The same way that you may like different styles of music (and crossover styles can be some of the best!) but you can't have too many styles at once or it doesn't sound like anything at all.

• Katie B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I'm considering multi functional pieces like a thin tall bookshelf with cabinets for media storage instead of the extra dressers.
  • Gcubed
    5 years ago

Probably best to get all furniture out of the room (leave bed if that is definitely staying) before you buy anything more. Add back what you definitely want and then see what other functional pieces are needed. This, all after you purge (pretend like you are moving and get rid of stuff!)

• everdebz
    5 years ago

hi Katie... possible to hide media stuff unit in a closet?

• housegal200
    5 years ago

Don't worry about style, just about creating an open, interesting bedroom. Declutter before redecorating. Here are some steps you can take:

--Downsize everything in your closet. Anything you haven't worn in a year should be gone. Same for the dresser at the end of the bed--empty it out and get rid of most of what's in there. (Take two well-lit photos of the dresser and put it in the Free section of Craigslist as "curb alert." Provide measurements and a description of it. Then nobody has to come into your house to pick it up.)

Once you downsize your clothes, you can store them in the closet or the two pieces you do like--the vintage armoire and dresser. Move the vintage piece where the dresser was. Don't keep any clothes whatsover that don't fit in the closet or the two vintage pieces. Invite friends over to help themselves to your downsized wardrobe.

--Read up on how to organize a closet. There's a ton of space in there but it's poorly organized.

--Hang a curtain rod across the closet and neutral drapes with grommets across the rod for a door. This will get rid of visual clutter and give you closet "doors."

Now you will have those two vintage pieces, and the piece under the window. It's a start. DO NOT PUT ONE SINGLE THING ON TOP OF THE VINTAGE WARDROBE PIECE--ZERO. Choose a few simple things for the dresser vintage pieces, but keep it too a minimum.

Next up:

--Take down ALL your art work. It's not properly hung, and there are too many small pieces. Pick just thee large pieces you like best: one vertical for over the headboard, one where the vintage piece was so you see it when you enter the room, and one over the long side of the bed, which will be reflected in your dresser mirror. This is plenty. (Art tricks: Putting art across an entry "pulls" you into the room, and it means you'll see that favorite piece every time you walk in. Art work across from a mirror double the pleasure of looking at it) Hang the art work across the doorway so that the center of it is 57" from the floor--eye level. No other art and I'm an art freak! Hang the other piece over the bed.

--Get a new bedspread in a solid, but subtle color you pick from those three pieces. What accent colors are in the paintings you'll have over the bed? Get a bedspread in that color. Pick out the closet curtains in that color. Get sheets, pillowcases in another color from the art. This connects everything.

--I think the window end of your room is okay with the plant, a place for your turntable. It's the rest of the room that's a jumble.

Honestly, I can now picture your room--much more airy and focused. DO NOT, DO NOT again buy any "awesome" pieces for this room. Even with all this downsizing, that Japanese standing lamp is yet another piece of furniture your should say sayonaro to. Instead get interesting wall lamps or drop lamps--Target has some great styles of them. You don't have enough floor space for a floor lamps.

Good luck. You will be much happier with your room once you get rid of half of what's in there. That's where your bad room vibe is coming from--random stuff blocking air space, visual space.

--

• Lorrie H
    5 years ago

There are so many things in this room and may seem a little overwhelming to take on everything at once. Personally, I would start on a total makeover of the closet first. Remove everything, get rid of what you don't wear won't fit or don't like. Paint the inside, remove the dresser and use elsewhere, it is taking up space that could be used for hanging more clothes. Remove the green hanging organizer, I don't think it is useful. Organizing this should provide room for you to move clothing from some of the other dressers. Then start eliminating some of the other dressers, sell what you don't need and use that money to replace the bed. I really love chalk paint and the piece everdebz posted. Pick a key color that you would like to decorate with. Look on pinterest for closet organizing ideas.

• Katie B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for all the tips!
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

The windows are the natural focal point of the room, and the bed is always the main attraction in any bedroom. I would turn the bed and put it under the windows, moving the plant to the corner where the bed is now Put the tall chest you already have at the end of that wall and use the black one opposite the door. Anything more is excess, and old stuff is just old stuff; I don't see it fitting your rock-n-roll vibe. If you purge, clean and cover the closet, you'll be amazed. I had two drawers for flat folded tee shirts, and with the konmari method I consolidated into 1 drawer without throwing anything away. Hang Kurt 5" above the black dresser opposite the door. Hang another favorite one right of the window centered 5' above the floor. How does the Japanese lamp function; sits on the floor or hangs on the wall? Could you stand it on the black dresser? That and Kurt should set the tone for your entry.

• partim
    5 years ago

What media are you storing? Records? CDs?

Is it clothing that's filling up your drawer and closet space? Or paper, or memorabilia, or records or CDs?

• partim
    5 years ago

Since you don't seem to use your closet for hanging clothes, maybe the lower clothes bar could be removed and one of your older dressers could go in the closet for storage of media or clothes. So don't buy new or get rid of any furniture, or take down all your pictures, until you know what you need to store. The first step is to cull your possessions.

• gigirambles
    5 years ago

The suggestion to use some of the dressers in an unexpected manner in another room (if possible and there is room) is an excellent one. I currently have a dresser residing in my dining room where it houses table linens, office supplies, etc. I think everyone who has chimed in has offered excellent advice. Once you've determined which pieces work best, you will find the path forward. Good luck!

• DH
    5 years ago

Found a few pictures that might appeal to you, please let us know if anything grabs you.

I’m also noting you’d like to have a furniture plan for your room. I can give it a shot later today.

One thing that might be pretty cool is to hang your guitars on the wall. It would save some floor space, and could double as art, too.

Note how walls and bedding are somewhat dark and neutral, combined with bright pops of color that have a high impact.

Clearly the guitars and/or artwork have inspired these color themes. Black also plays a key role in these rooms, to help provide contrast and definition.

Color blocking on your walls can be very dramatic, and create a great backdrop for your guitars and artwork.

• samondragon
    5 years ago

I really don't care how old you are but asked as your room seems a reflection of a younger, 20 something person sharing an apartment or house with other people. Age & living arrangements can make a difference in decorating choices & you did ask for decorating help.

• Katie B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Good point. Well, you guessed correctly
  • Katie B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I looked into a couple of styles and I think I like mid century with glam accents or farmhouse. I'm just wondering if the current furniture I have is similar to that. I do like my current art deco pieces though
  • Katie B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for the photos @DH you are great!
  • Katie B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I tend to like vibrant colors and art but while maintaining a more updated and mature look to my room
  • Katie B
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here's the dresser photo update I took yesterday night after work. It's actually a dark green instead of the black it appeared to be in the photo. Not sure if this piece would match my idea of a mid century or glam accent or farmhouse look

• housegal200
    5 years ago

Good luck, Katie. I think Houzz isn't working for you if you think style is the problem in the room. The problem is clutter and too much furniture.

• Katie B
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I'm going to downsize the collection for sure I read the comments.
  • partim
    5 years ago

The 3 pieces you already had could work with a farmhouse look (the green dresser, your bed and the tallboy dresser). They look well made and functional. Maybe you should stick with those and not the new pieces?

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

You've gotten great advice so far. My two cents: don't get too hung up on a style name for your space. It can be limiting. I understand it will give you decor direction but first, figure out function (how to use the space, which belongings deserve to be kept, how to store and display them) then how it will look. If a piece doesn't fall 100% in a certain style, you can still use it.

Love DH's pics displaying the guitars. That makes for a very cool room. :)

I used to have vintage waterfall Art Deco pieces. Very cool but yes, there's something to be said for modern drawer hardware.

ETA: I had more to say about the style name... :) What I wanted to say is instead of focusing on a particular style, perhaps you want to think about the mood(s) or feeling(s) you want your space to evoke? That can be a more "freeing" way of achieving one's goals for a room. IOW, describe your room with as many or as few words you'd like. That can help you fine tune the layout and decor.

On my screen, the green dresser in the corner fits there well. As for the open closet, I'd think about getting a curtain for it. Something that's easy to keep open or closed, as my mood and needs dictated.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!