SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruitcat7b_atl

Peggy Martin and Veilchenblau arch: Year 3

5 years ago

I wanted to share Peggy's progress aka world domination. These roses were planted in late 2017. The photos are from spring 2018 (left photo) and spring 2019. Veilchenblau on the left, Peggy everywhere. Peggy threw multiple looong "fingers" off last year's growth. I had to tie those to the side (sometimes did a U-turn so as to not completely suffocate Veilchenblau) to still be able to walk through the arch. Veilchenblau definitely grew to the top of the arch this year and remains fairly bushy overall. You can't really see in the photo, but Peggy's canes are mostly leafless to about 4-5 feet; seems all energy went into the new side shoots, so that's another thing that doesn't work very well as far as looks.

As soon as Peggy's done blooming, I will prune her as I would a grape vine to see if she can leaf out and stay on her side of things. If pruning doesn't help (and I expect this is a lost cause, as others have warned: either ongoing battle or death by pruning), I will move her this winter or find something less world-dominating to put on that side of the arch (suggestions welcome!). Happy Jack clematis is merrily galloping across the arch as you can see. Sorry about the photo quality, mostly wanted to show growth as this is obviously a cautionary tale!

Comments (22)