SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esand323

Adding drainage for paver patio

5 years ago

Hi, I'm building a paver patio and slopping 1 inch for every 4 feet so that rain runs off the patio. However, I'm still concerned with flooding water. Our soil has a lot of clay in it and the water table is very high. When it rains, there are pools of water in all of the yards in our area. The patio itself is 37x12 and I'm concerned that there will be a lot of rain water slopping all towards one side and flooding the edge of the patio. We're planning to extend the gavel under the patio 6 inches out and 4 inches deep on all sides of the patio. However, I'm worried this still could cause erosion of the patio if there is standing water at the edge.

I've thought about adding a drain to the edge that would be underneath dirt and gravel. It could be a french drain that runs to somewhere else in the yard. However, the yard doesn't really slope enough for me to be able to run the drain anywhere in the yard at a slope. I could add a dry well that is very deep so that the water in the drain can slope, but that would require a lot of additionally money and time.

Should it be a concern, with this soil type, of having pooled water at the edge of the patio where the slope ends?

Comments (3)