SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roarahgw

go fund me type requests from adults not prepared for adulthood

roarah
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I just need to vent. It seems every time I open Facebook or even email lately I am being asked to donate to an individual unprepared to handle normal adult issues. I do often donate to go fund me pages when a true tragedy has incurred, like children's college funds, or childhood causes similar to make a wish but more and more often I see people going on extravagant vacations or buying new cars after I have contributed to an adults' medical expense go fund me page and this really angers me!

In the last three years my family has met our deductible, Over 10k per year, but financially as adults we planned for this being a very likely possibility in life. I am sympathetic to the fact that many Americans can not afford to do this so have however always given my acquaintances the benefit of doubt when they are asking for help. But than I see these friends spending thousand of dollars on extravagances like a new jeep and vacations. This has happened six times in the last year to me. So I am done helping individuals fiscally but now will send meals to help out.

So now to what really set me off today. I just opened a personal email from a friend divorcing asking for money to pay her lawyer to sue her husband to not sell the house. She asked for help" to keep the house she and her children DESERVE to live in". ok first people do not deserve to own a house they pay to own a house. Secondly if you can not afford a lawyer you most likely can not afford to keep a house properly. Thirdly, really you want outside help to pay for a bitter fight! This individual knows that my husband has rectal cancer and I had two strokes at the end of last year. Both of us were under 50 . She has not sent a thinking of you card, meal or reached out in support at all in the past three years and her drama in my eyes pales in comparison to the life and death issues my family is facing. It is taking all my restraint to not call her out on this. I feel sending an individual email, not a link to a page, is tasteless and makes me feel guilty not answering her requests but I am not going to pay anything so I am going to just ignore the request but it has really upset me, so much so I think I will no longer keep a friendship with her.

I guess i I needed to vent because the email placed me in a state of unexplained guilt. I know I am valid in my thoughts but I feel that my anger is maybe misplaced and uncaring but I also am tired of people using crowdfunding to avoid " adulting"

Thanks for listening.

Comments (52)