SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_550378687

Living Privacy Fence on hill--help!

SouthernCharm87
5 years ago

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. Our house is one we built and have been in almost 2 years now. We have a large hill on the side of our property (photos included) and would like to add a living privacy fence to give us privacy from the neighbors above us who can see directly into our yard. We also need some erosion protection so we are planning to have asiatic jasmine and purple secretia added to the hill in addition to the trees. Our landscape designer has recommended either 2-row staggered Cryptomeria or Deodar Cedars (fewer cedars than Cryptomeria...I assume because they get wider?). He has also recommended a mixture of tricolor asiatic jasmine, traditional green asiatic jasmine, and purple secretia to fill in where the trees are not placed to serve as groundcover. We are planning to start this project in June so any advice you have on which you think would be the better option would be greatly appreciated--we feel stuck and are having trouble deciding!

We are in North-Central Alabama.

Thanks for any advice!

P.S. In the photos, there are 3 taken in the back yard (surrounded by fence) and 2 in the front yard. I have drawn a red line on the 2 front yard hill photos to notate the furthest extent of our property where we will be landscaping. The slope of the hill faces East-Southeast. As a reference, the fence is about 6.5 to 7 ft tall.

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations