SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nvrnugh

Privacy Live Fence

Vanessa 8a
10 years ago

I have read through quite a few posts which has helped me narrow my questions down :)

The set up: (sorry if it's long winded)
I have a corner lot with a C or U for a yard if you will. All of which is quite visible to both streets. I do currently have a 4 foot chain link fence. I honestly hate the look of chain link no offense to anyone. To change out my fence is quite an ordeal (must have permission from 10 adjacent neighbors all sides) and expensive (surveys, PVC 6ft that I would like) etc. So I want to put a live fence outside my current fence. I looked and the city calls this the buffer yard so I'm good to plant there. I have about 2-3 feet before you get to the wonderful drainage ditches. Other side of the drain ditch is the natural gas line then the road.

My main reason is privacy. I can't be in the yard, on the deck (behind the house not pictured), play with my dog, have friends etc. without the entire world seeing as it's a busy neighborhood.

I can't do anything about the front yard but I want something to go along the side/back yard. I've read what you said about fast usually equals headache. The line would get FULL sun east to west and if you don't know VA weather it's all over the place.

The ideas:
So, I was considering a hedge but reading through I'm wondering if the trimming is as bad as folks say?

The ones I considered are:
Forsythia
Japanese boxwood
Japanese Euonymus
North Privet
Wintergreen Boxwood

As I read some folks mentioned "trees".
Green Giant Arborvitae
Emerald Green Thuja

The Questions:
Considering you have more experience than me which would you go with?
Do I have enough room outside the fence to put it in? I'm okay if it eventually I have to take it out.

I don't think the city would let it get to tall lol but under 8ish I should be able to get away with. Though they don't or I can't find an ordinance with height restrictions. I do have lines overhead so that's a tall concern :). Ultimately, I would like to have full privacy for at least that part of the yard.

Thanks so much for any assistance,
Vanessa

Comments (21)