SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

Yum! What's your flavor?

glenda_al
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Ice cream, that is!

Had a craving and went to my favorite, Bruster's Ice Cream.

Butter pecan is what I had. One scoop in a cup. T'was plenty. Lots of toasted pecan halves as well.

Prefer mine in a cup, vs a regular cone or a waffle cone.

PLUS they offer senior discounts :o)

Comments (65)

• DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Lucille, I did not know that Costco had their own brand of ice cream. I will look for it next time we are there. Kirkland anything is usually a quality product.

• wanda_va
    5 years ago

My favorites used to be chocolate chip and Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia. But, Breyers now has a new one--it is Heath Candy and Waffle Cone. Half of the container is vanilla ice cream with heath candy; the other half is chocolate ice cream with pieces of waffle cones dipped in chocolate. Scrumptious!!

• Related Discussions

Your favorite Ice Cream flavor and something strange

Q

Comments (38)
    My family and I were in Parma, Italy (one of the gastronomic capitals of the world, and believe me, we went to town!) last summer, and I had violet gelato. That's right, violet. Oh. My. Frickin'. God. It was like eating essence of flowers. I can still taste it! That being said, my favorite flavor may be Italian hazelnut (nocciola), and to all who say there's no difference between store-brand and higher end, them's fightin' words. In summer, my favorite's peach. Lest you now think I'm a total food snob (OK, I actually AM a total food snob, but I go lowbrow too: cheez doodles, street hot dogs, etc.), the something strange is, during college I used to stash my leftover pizza in the box, on the floor underneath my bed. That cold linoleum kept it chilled, nobody with the late nite munchies could steal it, and it was right there for breakfast in the morning! Extra bonus strange: my Dad, whose interest in experimental cooking predated fusion cuisine and all that, used to put grapefruit peel in the marinara sauce. No, it did not taste good. Jim
    ...See More

Feed your koi garden snails and they'll eat them up, yum!

Q

Comments (1)
    Woo-hoo! Here in snail capitol USA that sounds like a great plan. I'll give them some today when I get home. Cold tomorrow so they won't get fed again until it warms up. Tally HO!
    ...See More

Yum, Yum, Squirrel Croquettes

Q

Comments (11)
    My husband said the hawk was in our yard a couple of days earlier with a squirrel. It could just be the cold weather but there are definitely less squirrels in my yard. Just this fall I was wondering about how the squirrel population was increasing. It was sad, actually. While the hawk was devouring the squirrel, just a few feet away, behind a tree, was another squirrel, clinging on very still but at attention. Later, after the hawk flew away with his prize, the squirrel was sniffing around the spot, probably missing a sibling.
    ...See More

Aphids! YUM YUM!

Q

Comments (15)
    It's a whole phylum, Marica, so there are many kinds and they are all awesome! Some are considered beneficial in that they eat mostly grubs that, in turn, feed on rhizomes, bulbs, corms and such. I use them in certain areas of the yard and what I use depends on what I have to control. For instance, I know I have Japanese beetles, certain moths that eat iris rhizomes as well as Asiatic lily bulbs. There are also areas where I do not want ants. Some people use them to keep their lawns perfect but I don't really give a flying eff about my lawn. You have to release them at specific times of the year depending on the life cycle of the pest you want to control. So you have to walk your yard and figure out if there is anything at all that needs controlling. Of course, not all are beneficial. Some nematodes will give you filariasis. Then there's my high school biology teacher whom we used to call Ascaris behind his back. When he found out, he thought it was perfect and wanted to be addressed as Mr. Ascaris from then on (apologies to Dina for going OT). Lots of info online. Pagan
    ...See More
  • sushipup1
    5 years ago

Jamocca Almond Fudge from Baskin-Robbins.

• Chi
    5 years ago

Wanda, I used to love Ben and Jerry's Coffee Heath bar ice cream but a few years back they swapped out the Heath bar with some kind of healthier toffee and it's not good anymore! That Breyers sounds yummy.

• catticusmockingbird
    5 years ago

Dh keeps Trader Joe's Coffee Bean Blast in the freezer. It's SO GOOD! I try to resist. My weakness is Yasso frozen yogurt Mint Chocolate Chip bars. I have one every night.

https://yasso.com/products/bars/mint-chocolate-chip/

• liira55
    5 years ago

I love tiger eye ice cream and at Christmas time I like Spumante ice cream.

• nicole___
    5 years ago

I just purchased choc-chip ice cream between 2 choc-chip cookies. Makes for the perfect size and NO dishes or scooper to clean. :0)

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

Just so people are aware some flavors are developed and licensed to various manufacturers. So if you have a special flavor that you cannot find in your favorite brand you might want to look for it in another brand. While some companies use different processes to make their product the proportions of the flavoring is supposed to follow the licensing agreement.

My favorite for a while was the cheapy Churn brand extreme moose tracks with the fudge swirls.

• kittywhiskers
    5 years ago

My favorite is Stewart's Crumbs Along The Mohawk.

• amylou321
    5 years ago

Chocolate

Or brownie batter

Or fudge

Ir cookies and cream

Mmmmmmm

• sealavender
    5 years ago

Mint chocolate chip reminds me of summers at the beach as a kid. The snack bar served it in waxed paper cups. Haagen Daas had a ginger ice cream in its "Five" line a while back; it was a study in hot and cold. Good quality coffee and pistachio are also on my list. Overseas, I've had durian and tamanegi (sweet onion.)

• bpath
    5 years ago

One of two, because I'm a simple gal:

I love a hot fudge sundae, or better yet with Elmer's Gold Brick (like Magic Shell)

or, a cone or cup with one scoop of mint chocolate chip and one scoop of vanilla chocolate chip. Not too a big a scoop of either, thanks,

I have a cookies-n-cream story. I was working in a corporate hotel in Texas. A guest checks in with his business host, who asks me if I can send up two spoons. I say "sure". He tells me his guest has never had Blue Bell Ice Cream before and lifts a paper sack with telltale signs of a quart of ice cream. I wink and ask "Cookies and Cream?" "Of course, what else?" I used to like the Blue Bell commercials: why does it taste so good? Because it's made in Brenham, and the cows think Brenham is Heaven.

• marcopolo5
    5 years ago

Lucky to have a mom and pop ice cream business close to me. Snowflake has a featured flavor in addition to the 25 regular flavors of ice cream. Rum Raisin is top of my list choice. They soak the raisins in rum for a few days before folding them whole into the ice cream. NOT for kids. They will consider suggestions of new flavors. My DGD suggested Caffinated Turtle, coffee ice cream, caramel swirl, with pecans. A popular flavor.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    5 years ago

Coffee, but I can't eat it late afternoon or evening or I won't sleep. Lemon ice cream is a favorite too. Don't like anything lumpy in the ice cream.

• happy2b…gw
    5 years ago

College introduced me to mint chocolate chip hot fudge sundaes. I confess to having them for lunch many times.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    5 years ago

One flavor that hood stopped making was reverse chocolate chip....white choc chips in chocolate ice cream...it was good.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

I very rarely eat ice cream, not that big of a fan. If I do have some I prefer coffee flavor. Starbucks had a Java chip one that I liked but I don't think they make it anymore. Hubby loves butter pecan. When we lived in Oklahoma every weekend during summer we had big pool parties. I would make homemade ice cream with fresh fruit in it. I wouldn't tell what flavor it was. It was a surprise. I really liked that kind of ice cream, banana, strawberry, peach all good.

• georgysmom2
    5 years ago

Cannot have butter pecan in the house. It would be calling out eat me, eat me. I do like a good strawberry. For DH's birthday I would make a baked Alaska pie with strawberry, chocolate and pistachio. Delish. DH likes chocolate mint chip. I like it but it doesn't cry out to me. It's safe to have in the house. I've only been to Bruster's once. We were early for the movie theater years ago so I suggested we get a dish of ice cream and share it to kill some time. He asked what flavor and I said Well, I love strawberry but I know you don't so get butter pecan since we both like that. I watch him standing on line and chatting away with some ladies, having a grand time. Turns out one of them was a friend from a neighboring town and they were raving about the peak ice cream. I'm sitting their salivating at the thought of butter pecan and what does he come back with. You guessed it.....peach. It may have been good but when all you could think about was butter pecan, didn't taste great to me. I was not a happy camper. :-)))))

• caflowerluver
    5 years ago

Another vote for Jamoca Almond Fudge from Baskin-Robbins.

• wildchild2x2
    5 years ago

My ice cream favorites change but these are ongoing standards.

Locally: Treat Ice Cream - Black Raspberry Marble

Marianne's: Spumoni - not that disgusting green pink and brown stuff, this s white spumoni. I also think they make the best strawberry.

Grocery store: Sunnyside Farms Ice Cream - Favorite is the cherry vanilla, also the Triple Vanilla

Novelties: Fat boy ice cream sandwiches, Klondike bars and Walmart's drumstick cones are far better than Nestle's.

Worst Ice cream we have recently had was Safeway's Signature Brand. Ended up tossing it out.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    5 years ago

I'm with WW and there are a number of members who rave about Halo Top. So I tried it. Yuck! No way can that even be considered ice cream. Enjoy the real thing and take the points!

• chisue
    5 years ago

I don't want eggshells or fish bones in my ice cream. That's the way I feel about the 'mouth' of ice cream with hard or crunchy bits in it. I'm OK with nuts because my tongue recognizes them as nuts.

High butterfat is essential; it's supposed to be ice *cream*! There should be minimal air whipped into the product. The flavor has to outrank the sugar.

Sugar, air and crunchy bits are all cheap tricks to stretch the product. A pint of good ice cream can weigh almost as much as a half gallon of aerated, sugary ice milk with emulsifiers added for fake 'mouth'.

A chocolate flavor should catch in the back of my throat or it's not working for me. A fruit flavor should 'smell' like real, fresh fruit while I'm eating it -- I think that's only possible where a small shop makes the product *with* fresh fruit.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

I tend to agree with you, chisue :-) Which is why I never buy '"store bought" ice cream (other than vanilla) and prefer to only purchase from an ice creamery where they make their own.......in small batches and with all fresh, natural ingredients. The difference is night and day!!

• User
    5 years ago

Heavenly Hash is probably my favourite, followed by Bryers Creamcicle Ice cream.

• Feathers11
    5 years ago

A local ice cream shop makes coconut almond ice cream. I've never had anything as good anywhere else. I generally prefer a smooth ice cream but this one is the exception.

Growing up, my stepfather always had butter pecan in freezer. I think that's where I got a distaste for chunky ice cream. But I need to try the flavor again, as I usually end up liking tastes I didn't care for as a child.

• yeonassky
    5 years ago

Licorice is my favorite flavour. Or at least that's what I remember as I can't really eat it.

• sprtphntc7a
    5 years ago

we only have ice cream in the house in the summer time. and i usually buy what's on sale: turkey hill, breyer's etc...

normally we get it out all year long:

Franklin Fountain, Handel's, Peace Pie, there are a few places in and around the city that sell Bassestt's ice cream, Reading Terminal Market, and an ice cream stand in Manayunk....

all these places are so delicious!! hmmm, we might be going into the city tonight!!

ok, favorite flavors: mocha choc. chip, cherry vanilla, chocolate raspberry, pumpkin (in season)...

• User
    5 years ago

Blue Bell chocolate chip! Blue Bell the best ice cream in the country, how many read that with the song in the background? :)

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Went with a group from senior center, here, and we toured their factory and treated to free ice cream cone.

• catticusmockingbird
    5 years ago

Raye, Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla is the only ice cream I'll buy to go with blueberry or apple crisp.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    5 years ago

I cannot understand why Blue Bell ice cream has such a great reputation! Is their high fructose corn syrup and cellulose gum of a superior quality? Maybe the mono- or diglycerides are made from a a special chemical formula. ;-)

Anyway, we're not ice cream eaters unless having company and then we make our own. I love lemony custard ice cream, fresh peach, strawberry, and blueberry, mocha, rum raisin are all favorites. I am definitely going to experiment with a peach jalapeno recipe soon!

My guests love my lemon ice cream in the middle of two triple ginger cookies.

• DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Rhizo, if you like food with a bit of a bite, you'll love it! The shop also had a mango habanero, but I'm not a big fan of mango and didn't like it near as much as the peach.

• Chi
    5 years ago

Annie, I agree with you about Halo! I've been eating the skinny cow sandwiches. They are pretty good and kill the ice cream craving for 6 points. I'm doing WW too.

• nickel_kg
    5 years ago

I grew up with "ice milk" and whatever was cheapest. I won't refuse any ice cream that's served to me, but when I choose, I look for real milk and real sugar, not low-fat or low-calorie. Generally I go for any flavor that has chocolate in it. Last summer I was in love with Kroger's "Private Selection" brand, so many imaginative flavors. Best was Brown Butter Bourbon Truffle. I wonder if they have any in the store now ....

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

I don’t eat it very often but I do like Handels. Fortunately it isn’t close to us. I like Ben and Jerry’s Cherry Garcia frozen yogurt. I don’t care for anything with a chocolate base. So something vanilla based or with dark chocolate chunks or An occasional butter pecan or macadamia nut will appeal. Lappert’s original in Hawaii had a mac nut and coconut combo that was to die for.

I will occasionally make a small batch of homemade peach when they are in season.

• lgmd_gaz
    5 years ago

Glenda, my Brusters closed about 6 years ago. My very favorite flavor there was White Turtle. I would give a lot to have some right now! Really miss Sunday outings to Brusters. These days it's Dairy Queen for a Blizzard with pecans, a little chocolate and caramel. The closest I can come to Brusters White Turtle.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ima, my Bruster favorite used to be Chocolate Trash, until they discontinued it :o( Had peanuts and dark chocolate slices in it. Do enjoy the white turtle, but think I like the butter pecan over the turtle.

• fran1523
    5 years ago

I love our local dairy's flavor called purple cow. It's raspberry ice-cream with dark chocolate and white chocolate chips. Love it. I also like coffee and peppermint stick for a change.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    5 years ago

When I taught home ec, one thing the kids enjoyed so much was making purple cows.

Grape juice poured over vanilla ice cream

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

Haagen Daz rum raisin.

My son loves it all and is coming home this week. I just finished making coffee ice cream mixture, along with Mexican hot fudge sauce (vanilla, cinnamon and cayenne). Chocolate gelato tomorrow? Tuesday? night, and once he's back for awhile, we will head to the farmers market for fresh peaches (ice cream: pureed peaches, mixed with cream and sugar). That day, we'll have BBQ ribs (Sue's Roadhouse) and fresh corn, so obviously, that's a piece out from now

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

Glenda, my mother made us the same purple cows for us as kids. I posted about it in the weird food combos thread recently. I made them for my kids and then the grandkids. We are all fans.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    5 years ago

A couple of years ago, I had my two little sprites from next door over for ice cream floats. I told them that they could each invite two friends from our neighborhood.

I kept it simple with only chocolate or vanilla ice cream, but had root beer, Coke, grape soda, orange soda, and 7-UP to choose from. I supplied fruit slices, maraschino cherries, and whipped cream.

The favorite? Vanilla ice cream and orange soda. It was yummy, like a creamsicle.

• katlan
    5 years ago

I like lots of flavors but coffee is my absolute favorite. I had cinnamon ice cream one time that was on a dessert bar and dreamed of that little yummy for weeks haha. I've never seen cinnamon ice cream in a store to buy. It was very good.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

I think my all time favorite was a Baskin Robbins called Viennese Tort -- so many decades ago that I barely remember, but still remember how much I liked it. It was chocolate and coffee, and I think whipped cream, but can't remember anything else -- maybe it had chocolate wafer cookie in it? I would drive over to the next town to get it, that is how much I liked it!

Other than that, a good coffee ice cream (even though I'm not much of a coffee drinker), or a good vanilla are my everyday favorites. Peach in summer, too. Graeter's and Jeni's are the go-to shops around here when I want to really indulge, Jeni's especially for unique flavors (I'm trying the goat cheese and cherry next time I go). Oh, I had Kroger's Private Selection Honey Pistachio and really liked it, even though I would have told you that I don't care for nuts in ice cream or pistachios in general!

• Lars
    5 years ago

The only worse flavor of ice cream that I can think of besides butter pecan is salted caramel - salt does not belong in ice cream or caramel. This is one of the reasons that I make caramel and ice cream myself - so that I can leave out ALL salt.

Butter pecan is extremely popular in Texas, where I grew up, and I love pecans, but not on ice cream, and butter with ice cream makes me gag - although not as badly as salt.

My favorite flavor of ice cream is mamey, but I also love coconut, cherimoya and guanabana ice cream, and fortunately, I grow cherimoya here, but not guanabana. I have white sapote fruit in my yard ripening now, and I will have to see how they go with ice cream. In general, I prefer fruit flavored ice cream, but the flavors I make most often are French vanilla, chocolate hazelnut, and strawberry - none of which have any salt in them. I never buy ice cream because I have a Whynter ice cream machine that has a built-in compressor so that I do not have to freeze a bowl to make it, and I can make one batch right after another. I do this only for parties, however.

The one ice cream I would buy (but don't anymore because I like it too much) is Trader Joe's Coffee Bean Blast. Typically, if I want a coffee flavor in ice cream, I add coffee liqueur to vanilla ice cream after I make it. I use a lot of different liqueurs when making ice cream, including Amaretto, Frangelico, Nocello, St. George Nola, Godiva chocolate, etc. I also add these liqueurs to ice cream after it has been made.

My brother's favorite is pistachio, and I had to teach him how to pronounce it correctly in Italian when we were in Italy.

BTW, my sister loves butter pecan ice cream, but she and I have totally different tastes in food. She loves mac and cheese, and that also makes me gag.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

I don't much like ice cream but I could eat my weight in Braum's German Chocolate Ice Cream.

• sealavender
    5 years ago

Oh, I forgot, in Santa Barbara Public Market, Rori's has honey lavender goat's milk ice cream. Nothing goat-y about it, but lavender!

• quasifish
    5 years ago

No specific brand, but any quality chocolate is fine by me. Dutch chocolate is especially good. Chocolate chocolate-chip is high on the list too. When we lived on the coast, we use to stop by an ice cream place at the mall that had ice cream bars that they would dip and roll in topping of your choice. Chocolate bar dipped in chocolate shell, rolled in chocolate sprinkles. Yes, I might have a problem, and really miss that place!

• wildchild2x2
    5 years ago

Lars

salt does not belong in ice cream or caramel

YES!!! I get so tired of picking up a package of allegedly home style or home made caramel and seeing the word salted. The sweet and salty craze drives me bonkers. Especially when they take perfectly fine stand alone foods and corrupt them with this ridiculous fad.

• amylou321
    5 years ago

When we had a cold stone creamery around,I used to enjoy their chocolate ice cream,with oreos,fudge and brownie pieces mixed in.

Nothing beats real frozen custard though. Nothing. There was a tiny stand in Wisconsin we used to go to when we would visit the grandparents during the summer. I cant remember the name but I can still taste the dark chocolate frozen custard. Much richer,creamier and denser than ice cream. One of my sisters, the demon, who lives there now will sometimes take her family there and LOVES to send us poor southerners pictures of her enjoying the frozen custard.

It's okay though, because me and my other sis will go to Krispy Kreme and send HER pictures. It's one of the things she misses the most.....

And I agree with the salty/sweet thing. Yuck. I hate sweet/salty or sweet/savory pairings. Keep your salt away from my sugar!!!!