SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schrodingerscat

Suggest plantings for south-facing front yard in So Calif.

schrodingerscat
5 years ago

We have a 70' deep front yard which faces south/southeast. The eastern-most third of the yard is our driveway. The center third has a 40' tall Italian stone pine planted 20 feet in from the street. The western third has a 45' tall Deodara planted 40 feet in from the street: this tree shades the western-most third of the front of our house. I'd like to set a low screening section of fence across the central third of the yard, close to our porch. Idea so far: 4 by 8 foot redwood lattice set horizontally, plant climbing roses on it= this would provide privacy for our porch. We ripped out our lawn 12 years ago and put down plastic overlain with gravel, grading to river stones nearer the porch. I'd like to finish the landscaping out front so that it's not a sea of gravel. Other ideas for plantings that would soften the redwood lattice--would need to take full baking summer sun. Not cacti please, my husband has a 50' run of cacti and succulents in terraced planters which form the eastern border of front yard. One more consideration, we are over-run with omnivorous peacocks. Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (4)