SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheckylovejoy_gw

Ants killing my plants?

sheckylovejoy
5 years ago

So I’ve had an 8’ long section of one of my beds that has been a problem for a couple of years now. One by one, everything in that area has been dying, looking like they aren’t getting enough water when they most definitely are. I’ve been completely flummoxed by this for two years now.

So yesterday, I noticed our Stainless Steel rose in that area was looking like it was not getting enough water and was about to die, despite all the rain we had this winter in SoCal and regular watering since it stopped. So I dumped a bunch of water in there to see what would happen. And then the ants came. Many thousands of them. So I went to another part of this area, which is empty because the plants there died, and also dumped a ton of water in. More ants. Many, many thousands

I think what is happening is that there is a large ant colony or multiple colonies under this area, and the roots of these plants were inside the colony chambers, exposed to air, not soil. When I flooded the chamber, the ants all came up.

I put out Terro bait, but I’m not sure what else I can do to destroy this colony unless I dig down and find the empty chambers. Any suggestions welcome

Comments (2)