SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
khondkarelahi

Hydrangeas in Texas Zone 8b

Superteeth (Elgin, TX 8b)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello everyone. So I really like Hydrangeas, but I also heard that they fry like kindle in Texas heat. So I was wondering something...with the intensity of the sun in Texas (especially in summertime!) would keeping the hydrangeas in a full-shade (or morning sun for 2 hours, shade the rest of the day) location allow hydrangeas to flower?

The way I figure it is that shaded areas still have solar energy penetrating to the ground, and with the intensity of the sun in Texas a full-shade area in summertime is equivalent (not exactly, but it's an estimate) to the sunlight in a northern state's full sunlight (okay, maybe dappled sunlight). Is my estimation correct? Or close? Or would a full-shade location in blazing Texas sunlight not be sufficient for flowering?

And when I say "flowering", I mean actually flowering at least close to normal levels of flowering, not a flower here and there due to insufficient solar energy. It won't be worth the trouble if I won't get a decent amount of flowers. Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)