SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sustainabee

Fruit for zone 8a/b limestone clay central texas

sustainabee
7 years ago

I want to make an orchard this Jan/Feb (recommended planting dates for my area). I really love persimmon and have a nice Fuyu in my backyard and room for another. I'm not a fan of the astringent varieties as much but dont know of any other non-astringent varieties. I also like pineapple guava, mulberry, ginkgo, jujube and fig. Plus I'd love to do some plums, nectarine, apple, pecan, and blackberry. Anything that will grow well with little amendment to the soil, I make compost and can afford to buy a couple yards if necessary and I don't mind using raised beds for some varieties. I also get free wood chips for mulching and plan on setting up a drip irrigation hose to keep watering simple. I would love any advice y'all have with varieties, pruning reqs., Reliable nurseries, bareroot vs containerized, spacing, etc. I have over a quarter acre of full sun available in the front and less than half that in the back. I would also love to plant varieties that fruit at slightly different times so I have a full summer of fruit harvest. I'd love to know more types of producing trees that might do well here. I got around 500 chill hours last year but it was a warm winter. I like the idea of intermixing trees and shrubs so if there's fruit producing or edible shrubs that mesh well with fruit trees I'd love to know y'all's experience with interplanting. Im in cedar park TX, near Austin if anyone knows a nursery that might have all/most of what I'm looking for. I'd prefer to buy local but will buy online if I need to. I've been trying to do as much research as I can and have found wonderful resources but with so many different trees I'd like some first hand experience or other sources I may have missed I could read through. Any help is appreciated, and thank y'all in advance for taking the time to read this :)

Comments (6)