SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01

Need help with networking ettiquette

daisychain Zn3b
5 years ago

Many of you were so helpful with advice about helping my DD find a summer job. She has had a few interviews but nothing solid yet. Some of you suggested I use my networking skills to get the work out there and I have tried to mention it to everyone I come across.

Here's my question:

She has just found out about a job with an historical organization and her qualifications match fairly well (but not perfectly) with their job description. I happen to know the woman who heads up this organization. I taught her children and, this past summer at her request, I spent a couple of hours editing and coming up with suggestions for their school tour program.

I would like to mention to her that my daughter is applying for this job with her organization. I will likely see her this week at school. How do I bring this up? "Hi! I'm glad I ran into you. DD is applying for such and such position with your organization. I've told her what a great program you run and she is really excited about it." This sort of thing is within my comfort zone.

Or, am I more cut throat about it and email this woman asking her to look out for DDs appllication along with the same sort of comment above - maybe with a question about the application (which my DD did actually have)? This is out of my comfort zone and I'm not sure if it is appropriate.

Comments (14)