SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tanna_m

Is sandblasting always needed on old stucco before new stucco?

Tanna M
5 years ago
We have an old Spanish revival house built in the 30s. The stucco is a sand finish and was painted by the last owners. We are re-stuccoing with a smooth finish. Originally our contractor gave us a change order to sandblast the entire house and then put on the new smooth stucco. Now he is saying sandblasting will ruin our house and there is a better way he plans on doing it. He said he will be putting an adhesive/glue all over the old stucco/paint from top to bottom and gluing on some kind of fiberglass panels. Then putting the smooth stucco on the panels so essentially the outside of the house would have all new smooth walls to be stuccoed.
I’m worried he may be doing this to save money on sandblasting, I’m not sure but I did ask another company and they told me the house still needs to be sandblasted regardless.
Can anyone give me any more information on whether this is true or can the contractor just apply adhesive all over the old stucco/paint and glue on new panels and stucco over that?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert