SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gm_ny2014

Help with Curb Appeal/Landscape Design

gm_ny2014
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Our house is on a 10 acre property in Zone 5b in NY; faces east and sits very close to the road.

One of our biggest frustrations is that visitors don’t know which front door to use, and many assume the house is a duplex. We currently enter through the left door. The right door opens to our “great room” and the house is connected in the middle by a breezeway - with a third front door in the middle!

We took out the dead foundation plants, but kept the rhododendron. We also have two boys under 3 who play in the front yard. We definitely need to cut down some trees; and need some color!

I’m sure the lack of foundation plants do not help, but can we somehow fix the look of the windows on the right, or try to detract from it with landscaping – or both!?

My biggest frustration about the front right side is the view of the neighbor’s house. We would to use plants to hide the view of his house; but I should note that the hill behind the garage is also our property (our neighbor asked permission to mow it) so I’m not sure how this will come into play when planting for privacy.

We do not use the detached barn/garage to park. It looks like there used to be a gravel path to the barn, but doesn’t make sense to us to use it for parking. So, I imagine that the “path to nowhere” should also come out – and maybe eventually redo the driveway/walkways/pavers... We plan to paint the barn as well.

Let me know if these photos work or if another angle is better.

Thank you for your input!

Here are some closeups:

Comments (12)