SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nan_nan_gw

Help with Landscaping for rural curb appeal zone

nan-nan
7 years ago

Hi and Easter blessings to you,

I asked for help over on the home site last week and was referred here for landscape expertise. Is there a Yardvark in the house?

We are in a northern climate with heavy snow from November through March.We don't plant annuals til late May early June because of frost danger. I think it is zone 6a hardiness 62. I saw another classification (Sunset? that listed zone 39-40 but we are in a harsher microclimate snow belt on an elevated section between two bays).

It's an acre and a third of lawn with a wooded section at the back. (Just discovered a big need back there for landscaping as the neighbour chopped down some dead trees creating a clearing instead of a wilderness.) We are beside a wetland on heavy clay soil which is a bit boggy in spots and rocky in other spots.

The long driveway has lampposts that light up the dark night for safety. They get almost buried under the snow from clearing the drive. I'd like to incorporate them more into the design, but trees would inhibit snow removal and create a problem, says hubby.

I am going to try removing or relocating the picket fence to open up that area at the front porch.

There are beds of perennials around the front foundation, front porch, and in the two large beds on either side of the driveway. The evergreens at the front foundation broke under the snow load and are gone.

One bed on the right lawn contains a weeping mulberry plus there's another weeping on the left front corner of house which is very out of control

There's a speeding juniper in another bed on the left lawn with perennials and some type of sucker bush/tree.

There are random trees in the property...many things have died from the harsh conditions over the years. It's discouraging but I've come to accept it. Daffodils are find. Daylillies seem to be fine here. Sedum in abundance. They are wild in the ditches. Columbine and wild sweet pea love it. Sweet peas are a bit of a pest. And there's ivy causing issues in the foundation beds. I think it grew over from the left lawn bed.

I have now been diagnosed with RA and am looking for low maintenance ideas as well. It would be great to have an overall plan for the property rather than a "Let's see what died over the winter" plan. I am tired of calling the tree guy out to chop down dead trees.

There's some kind of vine that hasn't bloomed growing crazy on the back deck. I think it might be a wisteria but am not sure.

The cedar rail fence has issues too.

Sigh. I'm a bit discouraged!

Thanks in advance for any help and ideas. I can post pictures but they are on the original post.
Here's the original post.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4556765/what-to-do-with-this-exterior#19700112

Comments (28)