SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjcc123

Another ARG masterpiece! ;)

C C
5 years ago

(Apologies for the possible double post; my first one seems to have disappeared?)

Location: the mountains of NC, at the foot of a mountain; nice views in all directions and best views to the south/southeast. About 10 acres of “rolling” hills, about 30 acres of STEEP slopes.

Residents: very active couple planning to retire in a few years, no pets

Some backstory: this is a home Doug designed for my parents, who are purchasing 39 acres behind my own home/land for an aging-in-place, family-compound-type situation. I have frequently lurked in and appreciated the forums here for years (particularly for our kitchen renovation), and I immediately thought of Doug when their plans to build began to coalesce.

The land itself runs up the mountainside to a false ridge, and we have multiple small creeks, old logging roads, and waterfalls to enjoy; lots of windows and outdoor living space were high on our list. We wanted to minimize the footprint for both cost and future upkeep yet keep the main floor and common areas graciously sized for gatherings. My parents frequently host gatherings and overnight guests, and my husband and I have young children and will be at their home often, if not almost daily. We requested that all halls be designed for accessibility in case of future mobility issues. Since the best site is on a gentle slope (though Doug might say not so gentle!), we decided to go down with the guest bedrooms instead of up.

We had a few slightly unusual requests, such as ample space in the laundry room for a sewing space and a gigantic family-heirloom sink. We are hobby-farming, outdoorsy nursery folk and leave all shoes, coats, etc. by the door, hence the request for a large mudroom. We cook every day, and often together, so a large kitchen was a necessity. We are not fancy-foyer people; in fact, in the twenty years since my parents built their current home, no one can remember a single person ever using the front door. I thought Doug came up with a rather elegant design to maximize the mudroom yet keep a guest entry for those who don’t need the mudroom. We have an (over?) abundance of rock on the property, so we asked Doug to include some rockwork on the exterior and in the landscape so that my dad can build some rock walls (a hobby of his).

The kitchen is far from planned, and I will certainly post it in the Kitchens forum down the road. I do think we’ll be adding a sink near or in the mudroom. Also--perhaps a dumbwaiter in the laundry room would be nice?

I’m grateful in advance for any feedback you wish to share! Though I don’t get to lurk on the forums as much as I used to, I have learned so much here. Apologies in advance if the images don't load!

Comments (13)