SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

There really are things to learn on junk food TV

plllog
5 years ago

I often put Food Network on as inoffensive background noise. Cooking Channel doesn't do it--either the cooking is good and I want to pay attention, or it's weird to awful and I don't want it on. FN has so much junk food TV from the art (cake) competitions to the bizarre food races (Chopped, GGG) to the travelogues (DDD). Sometimes I learn something. Sometimes it's Guy Fieri wallpaper and it starts to strobe. Generally it's inoffensive. I'm usually doing something else and not really looking for content.

I keep thinking about something I saw on DDD or something. A soul food restaurant, but "elevated". The chef made greens rolls. It was a fairly standard but complex recipe for greens (i.e., more than just an onion and a piece of pork, but totally recognizable as a version of the way greens have been made forever). Then she took large collard leaves, laid them flat and kind of joined up the bases where the stems were removed, laid a glob of cooked down greens on and rolled up like an eggroll. Or stuffed cabbage, but more eggroll shape. Steamed, I think, or maybe baked. She served it with a shot of pot likker for dipping.

I thought that looked inspired and fun, and easy to eat and tasty. I'm guessing the lightly cooked wrapper gave a nice tooth and fresh-like snap, and make a lovely contrast to the gooeyness of the greens.

I'm just entranced with the notion. :)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths