Native plants, polyculture, permaculture.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

This is the new thread. We all know what it's about lol. We do ID's too.

SaveComment407Like
Comments (407)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

My slated shrubs for the front yard. I don't think a complete hellstrip redo is going to fly, but maybe small portion. If I can get the yard looking beautiful, I might be allowed next year.

Gillenia trifoliata.

Gillenia trifoliata.

Aronia melanocarpa.

Aronia melanocarpa.

Viburnum dentatum.

Viburnum dentatum.

Viburnum dentatum.

Viburnum dentatum.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)
Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)
Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)
Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Today, April 11 is Skip's birthday.

Happy Birthday Skip!

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Thanks Jay! I have the whole day off and that means its a bad day to be garlic mustard, japanese honeysuckle vine or multiflora rose bush! I was just watching that Dr Agrawal video you posted, good stuff thanks for sharing

1 Like Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Happy birthday, Skip! Sounds like a good way to spend the day!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Asclepias perennis, aquatic milkweed. It's seeds do not have silk. They are large and water dispersed.

Skip, how often do you mist your trays?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, did you get and plant the Geum triflorum, prairie smoke? My cup plants are germinating. What does your Apios vine look like?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

My aquatic milkweed flowered last year, but I didn’t get any seeds. The prairie smoke is ordered, but it’s not here yet. The Apios is still tiny, an inch at the most. There are supposed to be thunderstorms from tonight all the way through Sunday, so I am moving some plants around. No room! Just saw my first Monarch, but it wasn’t interested in the milkweed at all. Too fast to tell, but I guess it was a male.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

None of the common milkweed are coming up yet. One of the Trilliums I planted last week just pushed through. I hope they all come up or I might forget where they are and plant on top of them lol.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I water them once a day unless it rains, then not at all.

What a bear. I just whacked at this bush with the mattock for like 3 hours. Man this thing had a root system like a tree. I just chipped away at the nodes coming out of the underground stump. No doubt this shrub will be back. I pulled out 1 root that was over 12ft long. This ate up wayyy more time and energy than I expected.

But, I met a new neighbor in the process

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

What kind of bush was it? That's a cool looking snake. You will be able to plant a lot of stuff in that area!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Great job, Skip! FedEx just stopped by to bring me a box of plants. Now what’s in there?

Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

It was a flowering quince. When I moved in, the previous people had just been mowing it and it didnt grow very large, and it was shaded by a mulberry tree. The mulberry tree fell down and the bush starting getting a lot more sun and sending out suckers and getting taller so I stopped mowing it for a couple seasons. Im actually going to have that area as lawn which is why i wanted to remove it. I want to have a lawn closer to the house in the backyard for play space for my daughter and gathering, then have further away in shrubs and plants, and then more wooded outside the fence. My yard is big enough to accommodate a decent size lawn AND a large "wild" area. Just have to get my wife on board...

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Makes sense. Nice play and party area! I saw some grass germinating, don't know which one. The cup plant seedlings are big.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Good plan, Skip.

The leaves on my Ipomoea seedling started to look sickly, kind of like Javi’s milkweed, so I threw it to the wolves. Not really, but I planted it in the ground. Maybe it’s the rootborer combined with these suckers.

Or maybe there are not enough nutrients in this little pot with seed starting mix. Hope it makes it.

Got my plants unpacked. All but one are so small! Hope they don’t get lost after I plant them. And yes, Jay, Prairie smoke arrived in this box.

very interesting method of packaging. It took me a while.

And finally, looks like I am back in Monarch business!

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

"lets just throw all these bricks in the weeds no one will ever know!"

^^^getting closer to the heart of the beast

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Looks like you made a lot of headway Skip. Nice job! I find a lot of big rocks and bricks burried around here too. I've seen a few seedlings that I can't ID. My 3 Gillenia trifoliata plants came in. 1 of them has above ground growth The other 2 don't. There's talk about redoing the fire pit. That can't happen lol! You get the flat tires fixed on the rider mower and immediately you must pick up the leaves with it and burn them because that's just the way people have been doing it forever lol! The only burning will be when I'm making Amazonian biochar!!! I hope your pandurata makes it Iris! The only Geums around here are the unattractive, weedy ones. I hope the milkweeds can keep up with the cats.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Can anyone name these plants?

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, I sure hope it will make it. How hard can it be to grow a weed?! I have more than enough milkweed for now. Looks like even my fasicularis is making a comeback. Ask me again once the milkweed tussock moth caterpillars show up....

Skip, the first plant looks very familiar. The second one I feel I have seen pictures of recently. Maybe on Name that Plant. I am sorry I am so terrible at identifying. I just scrolled through the older native plant threads to look at the wild geranium (alien and invasive and native) pictures Jay posted somewhere. 2 more of them started flowering in my yard, so I wanted to look them up.

dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)

Whatever it is, you better kill it! Looks way out of control, sort of like Comfrey. And I don't like the looks of whatever it is in the lower left of the last pic either.

Jay-way up above you have your Viburnum and Aronia mixed up.

Is that Astilbe in the last pic?

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The one on the lower left reminded me of ivyleaf Speedwell. But I can’t really zoom in on it. It doesn’t look as dense and hairy. And of course Skip might know what that one is anyways.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It doesn’t look like comfrey to me, but if it is, Skip is all set to fertilize all his new plants.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Dandy I need to just give the whole yard a round up treatment, retreatment, and then seeding, realistically. I don't thinks its astilbe, the leaf margins are too smooth.

I think you are right with the ivy leaf speedwell ID

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Comfrey would have large, thick roots and be hard to pull out. I'm pretty sure if we saw a flower it would be easier. Do you remember seeing a flower? Zhaha! Do you think it looks nice, or weedy, or what??? It looks like an excellent ground cover. At first, I thought, green and gold, but maybe not, leaf texture? I have a trumpet vine that's hard to kill.

Save    

Skip-please don't take my comments as criticisms. I don't know what I'm doing most of the time. You are doing amazing work out there. The results will be worth it. My biggest trouble seems to be convincing people that there are "weed" trees too. And I get a little too exuberant buying shrubs as I still have about 75 that are still in their rooting in area from a few years ago that have yet to be moved. And I wish I had taken lots of before pictures so I could visually see my progress.

Active blizzard in progress here so spring planting is on hold for a while yet.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I didnt feel you were criticizing Dandy. The first time I saw that stuff it looked like it was going to be a problem but it has stayed put. It has been there since I moved in, in 2015, but I always mow it so it hasnt flowered. I think borage, forget-me-nots, something in that family, are a possibility. Maybe I will let some flower

Or maybe Campanulla. The other reminds me of Elderberry, which would be nice.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I would be ecstatic if it was elderberry

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

What are these?

I got these today!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The astilbe looking plant might be a bidens?

1 Like Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Cudweed maybe? Yay for new shrubs/ trees! I thought you are going to pick up your perfect tree tomorrow. Are you going to put your two previous plants on Name that Plant? Would be interesting to find out. What are you going to do to get a lawn area? Are you going to start over new by ripping everything out and put down new seed? My “lawn” isn’t too high right now, but still not much grass to be seen.

The Finches are eating me out of plant money. It sounds like a pet shop out there.

Jay, any more new seedlings coming up?

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, master of all things geranium...I looked through the older thread and found this one is the alien/ invasive one.

I didn’t find a picture of these pale ones. The leaves are very similar. Do they come in different colors?

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I put the second mystery plant on NTP, someone guessed elderberry too, but I think Jay is probably right with Bidens. I will wait for flowers for both of them. I think cudweed is a good guess too.

The free trees are tomorrow, these are ones I ordered last week, the pussy willow and sweet birch.

For lawn, yes probably kill old then seed a perennial rye and fine fescue blend. Overseeding with a slit seeding machine also crossed my mind.

Skip-do you want some Elderberry seed? I have some, been cold stratified all winter. Should germinate right away. I can send you a few thousand. Or did you get some that I sent to Jay? Send me a PM with addr. I can pass along some other stuff too.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Does this look like a jewelweed seedling? There is a single one and it’s growing out of the walkway?!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Looks like a jewelweed!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha. My luck. The only one I saw. Wonder if I can get it out of there.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I have a bunch. I only need a few. I'm growing 3 different jewelweeds. There are 5. There's always a lot of seedlings in the spring , but they all dry out and die except for the few that I water.

Impatiens capensis

Impatiens pallida

Impatiens ballfouri

Impatiens textori

Impatiens scabrida

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I don't know about the bidens. I'm not. Carol is rarely wrong! Compare! These are bidens. I can't tell if anything new germinated or not. There is a plant that grows in my yard called Ellisia. It's the only member of its genus. It's in the waterleaf subfamily Hydrophyllum, of the Borage family

Ellisia nyctelea, aunt Lucy. How did it end up in my yard?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I had the orange one last year. Going to try to save it tomorrow. Rough weather is predicted for Sunday. High impact of strong winds. Moderate risk for large hail, tornadoes and flooding. I have some unknown Senna coming up, too. I think wild Senna. My sicklepots are still all of the 2 leaf state and it doesn’t look like a volunteer Popcorn one.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's a nice looking plant! I hope all my legumes germinate. I was afraid the deer ate the jewelweed before it could make any seeds. I was wrong. The deer probably knew that lol.

" I knew that, lol!".

"Hmmm! This should be a tasty mouthful in a few months lol!"

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, have you ever grown any other cassias like christmas cassia or Senna marilandica?

Save    

I grew the Marilandica once and thought it was pushy and overbearing.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Really? You know, 2 times I bought perennials from down south or somewhere, and 2 times a Senna marilandica germinated in the pots. It didn't strike me as overbearing. The hebacarpa seems bigger and stronger to me. Maybe location has something to do with it? I grew it twice, but never planned it. Actually, I prefer the look of the S. marilandica over the hebacarpa. It looks more 'tropical' lol.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, I'm trying to figure out what those plants are. Try to hold off on using name that plant. The one looks like aster family, maybe an Erigeron, and the Geraniums should be easy. It looks like there was a mother plant that went to seed right there. Maybe it was obscurred by vines and brush. What kind of trees did you get? We might get snow here again. It would help if you showed more of the foliage of the Geranium with the darker purple color. Where was it growing? Do you think that it spread there from seed, or was it part of the original planting? I tried growing herb robert once because I liked the ferny foliage. It started taking over. They spit their seeds several feet, so they can colonize several beds all at once lol.

Geranium robertianum, herb - Robert.

Senna marilandica

Senna obtusifolia, sicklepod

Tephrosia virginiana

Lespedeza violacea

The butterflies that use the legumes as host plants.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Erigeron annuus. It's native to the whole eastern half of the country. I think it's the species that's the weedy thug in my garden.

Erigeron bonariensis, small horseweed, troughout the south from Florida to Virginia.

Erigeron philadelphicus, the most widespread of all the species, covering the entire country, except for 2 western states. I think it's the species that's the weedy thug in my garden. Erigeron is a huge genus, most of the species are western.

Erigeron pulchellus, Robin's plantain. It' native to the whole eastern half of the country. This isn't a weed in my book. I ordered a plant lol. I'll have seeds to share! Prairie Moon hasn't had seeds for 2 years.

Erigeron glabellus, smooth fleabane, native only to Minnesota.

Erigeron lonchophyllus, short- tray fleabane. It's native to the western states all the way into Minnesota.

Erigeron strigosus, prairie fleabane. It's native to almost the entire country except for 3 western states.

Erigeron tenuis, native to Illinois and the block of states south of Illinois sliding over to Florida. There is a lot of variation in the young leaves of Erigeron species so an ID can take a while.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, I have ordered Christmas Cassia the last two years. Guess they behave as annuals for me. At least I am not seeing anything coming on last years. They grow quickly and flower for me. I had partridge pea popping up last year.

Wonder what kind of tree Skip got.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Which kind of your cassias gets the most cats? I was wondering what kind of trees skip got too? My native nursery will have this shrub in the fall.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yesterday I got the 1 Betula lenta and 3 Salix discolor. Today I got 5 free Diospyros virginiana (American persimmon) and 5 free Nyssa sylvatica (Black gum) seedlings! They are tiny... I might order tree tube protectors for them

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The sicklepot has the most caterpillars for me. Remember my pictures from last year where I had to relocate 140+ from one patch to another?

Black Gum! I am jealous!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I feel soar all over. I think pulling all that fabric caught up to me. It's cold again, only 45.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

How is the ankle, Jay? Just had to come in because it started pouring on me. I have holes dug for some of my plants, so hopefully it’s just a short thunderstorm. And please not the quarter size hail from the warning.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

My ankle was better the next day. I found a species of Senna that grows everywhere here in the east, but you never hear about it. It's probably a good host plant. It's native here, but they grow it in India and some butterflies over there use it.

Senna occidentalis

When it warms up, I'm going to check which species have germinated.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I have never heard of it. Can’t wait for your seedling status report. Tried to very carefully to get the jewelweed seedling out of the walkway. Hope I got enough of the roots.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

They don't have many roots to begin with. Last year, I kept planting one in a certain spot and the chipmunks kept digging it up. I'm surprised you don't have more. Did the deer get them?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

They didn’t. It was right by the door. I don’t know why I am having so much trouble with them. Maybe it’s not woodsy enough in my yard.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

" Remember where she plants all the new stuff."....... "Ok!."

" They will get planted when the ground dries a little."

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, do you have an American persimmon tree? I wonder what the fruits taste like? I like their bark. I bit into a raw quince once. Very astringent!

Persimmon and brie crostinis. Isn't that cool!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I have a couple of small ones, so no fruit yet. The Monarch stopped by for the third day to lay more eggs. Gardens with milkweed must be slim pickings around here.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I went outside and did the forestry planting method. Stick the shovel in the ground and make a slit, add a little water, add the seedling, then push the slit shut around the roots with my shoe. I stuck a stick in the ground next to where I planted them so I can find them later. Realizing now I got too many trees lol

I pulled some more honey suckle and uncovered a nice colony of Claytonias... nice!

phlox is starting up

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The phlox is looking great! The picture Jay posted with the cage on the plant reminded me of the temporary one for my seedling. I still didn’t make it to Lowe’s to get some fencing

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I saw my first butterfly, a red admiral. It kept following me around. I think it was an old friend. I'm moving some Urtica dioica over here asap. I found a plant that looks interesting. I have no idea what it is. I'm waiting for the Claytonia to bloom in the grass so I can see it and move some.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yay, Jay, you are back in butterfly business! Haven’t seen an admiral yet, but there was a cloudless sulphur today looking for Senna. Look who had a growth spurt of some sort. Is yours planted yet? Skip, didn’t you plant one too at your fence?

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Thats a perfect seedling cage!

Whats up with this ant swarm!?

That dark spot is all tiny ants.

Is that the Apios you're referring to Iris? I planted a bunch of bulbs but havent noticed any growth yet

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yes, the Apios. It wasn’t even an inch tall a few days ago. The ants are terrible at the moment. Maybe because of all the rain. I think I am going to put an updated picture of my mystery plant from February on the Name that plant thread. Still reminds me a bit of yours, but mine just has 3 leaflets to your 5.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Can I see the updated picture before you send it? I planted a couple Apios tubers by a trellis a couple weeks ago, but nothing is showing yet.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I already put the pictures there.

I am still reading “a new garden ethic”. They mention an old study from Charles Robertson from way back then (as in 1880 to 1910) Isn’t it interesting I have all the plants mentioned except for the golden Alexander? And that one is ordered and should be here next week.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The Geraniums. The bottom, paler one looks like Geranium carolinianum. Can you show more of the foliage of the upper, darker colored one?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Will go out tomorrow to take some (weather permitting). I could have sworn you had a picture of the dark one marked alien/ invasive in the old thread. Now I can’t find it.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I can remember it's name. Molle or something? The leaves look more finely cut than molle, but the picture isn't showing many leaves.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha. That was the one with the flower color in the middle of the other two.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's molle.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Does this look similar? Geranium disectum, not native.

Geranium carolinianum and Geranium disectum. I still can't figure out the aster looking plant.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Western Tailed Cupido Blue and hostplant Astralagus canadensis.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

That looks like it! Getting a bit worried about the weather tomorrow. The weather people are having a field day.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

There is a lot of rain coming, but the worst part is it's supposed to drop down to 28 on Monday night. I hope that doesn't happen. It looks like nobody has guessed your plant yet. It doesn't look like a Hellebore anymore.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Coffee senna, Senna occidentalis.

Popcorn cassia, Senna didymobotrya.

Sicklepod senna., Senna obtusifolia.

Christmas cassia, Senna bicapsularis.

Save    

Jay-I think your native perennials in pots will be just fine with 28f temps. They can withstand a lot more than that. Life on the prairie is like that, for everything, not just plants. Mine had to withstand -42f back in January and I'm sure they are all ready to go. It should be dipping above and below freezing for some time yet. Sorry about my proselytizing!.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I do hope the Senna hebecarpa seedlings from last year return. I have it planted in an area among other coarse plants where it can blend in until it flowers. I realize this plant reminds me a little of black locust, the ultimate north american tough weedy legume. I pulled out a black locust root with the characteristic rhizobial nodules while digging yesterday, at least its got that going for it.

I got to drive by the plug tray production greenhouses at Pinelands nursery yesterday and get an idea of how they raise their stock. It looks like its bottom watered, they have the wood framed beds like I made, lined with plastic sheeting on the bottom, and the plastic tunnel type green house over top. Ends of the green house open, and vents low to mid height on the sides of the green house. This is a configuration I might look into copying next year. I noticed some sand beds and simulated wetland beds they had set up too, cool stuff.

Are there any native plants as conspicuous, tough, and blooming the same time as a daffodil? Here they are in roadside gardens. During my drive to the nursery I couldnt ignore seeing the shear volume of daffodils, tulips, and especially forsythia in roadside gardens. I drove by a nursery with an entire field of production forsythia, maybe 5 rolling acres of forsythia. Then there were the callery pear farms... these trees are everywhere, intentional and not. "Just about the cheapeat tree you can buy." The only relief you get from seeing the pears everywhere are flowering cherry, and occasionally redbud or dogwood. Would geraniums or virginia blue bells hold up in a hellstrip type garden?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'm thinking that I wouldn't want to duplicate everything about the non native spring bulb plantings, (why would I?) I'd rather have something that looks natural. I can't find Dicentra eximia plants. Everywhere is sold out. Maybe a mixture of plants for longer flowering time.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I have been trying to find early Spring flowering plants. Always feeling sorry for the first bees scrambling around. Pussy willow was one I found. Looks even the early weeds (dead nettle/ henbit for example) aren’t native.

Geranium maculatum blooms nicely and does very well up here in marginal conditions, maybe not as showy as tulips, etal. But would be well worth effort in a hell strip I think. Others, maybe, Phlox, Baptesia, Rudbeckia, Echinacea, Aruncus, Aqualegia, Aster, Asclepias, Liatris, and even some spring ephemerals for good mix.

What's up with Black Locust? Invasive species here in Mn and yet native to the southeast of here. What kept it in check in the prehistory times?

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I don’t really need showy as long as it is early. I have enough flowering from now until frost. My favorites currently flowering are the wild black cherry, buckeye, fothergilla and fringe tree. Some others are probably still too small to flower.

The Apios has grown this much in less than 24 hours. What have you talked me into? And here I was worrying because the tubers looked so much smaller than expected.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's not in your yard, is it Skip? The wildflowers?

Your Apios is lookiing great Iris! Hope mine looks that good. There was a blanket of snow on everthing when I woke up.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

That was at the wild flower preserve earlier. Here is a view of how all the different plants form a ground cover.

No way I wish my yard looked like that haha. My yard is currently an amazing assortment of weeds

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's a nice groundcover. I don't see any weeds, just native plants in a nice combination! Now I want mayapple lol.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, your plant might be bishopweed but I haven't been able to find any pictures that match how it looked earlier so I wonder. I accidentally brought one into my garden and it took 3 years to get rid of.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Oh boy, it can just join the club of weeds I can not get rid of. There is wisteria coming out of the middle of ashy and swamp sunflower. I seldom use roundup, but have on wisteria before. Doesn’t seem to do much, and of course this doesn’t work in the middle of flowers.

Iris-when using 'Roundup', you need to know how concentrated a solution you are using. Never buy Roundup brand because it always watered down. The chemical is Glyphosate and a generic form is always going to be stronger-and much cheaper. For foliar, I use about 3 to 5 % Glyphosate. If the 'Roundup' product is only .5%, it isn't going to do much. I buy a 61% solution of generic Glyphosate on Amazon for $20 and water it down.

Maybe you already know this. If so I apologize. It's just that I often read where someone states that Roundup wouldn't kill what they were after but they never state what concentration was used.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Thanks, Dandy. I didn’t know that. In the case of the wisteria, I use the brush killer one. They stopped selling the concentrate of that at Lowe’s. Last time they wanted to sell me something like “clear 365” instead. That sounded very extreme and extremely toxic. I will look at Amazon. Maybe I can finally get the tree of heaven once and for all. I did paint the stump with the undiluted concentrate, but there are still suckers coming up.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's supposed to get down to 28 tonight. Will my seedlings be ok, or should I do something? This is why I never got any kiwi fruit lol! Just like Senna obtusifolia, Senna occidentalis is an annual. There is another South American Senna called Senna tora. It looks a lot like obtusifolia and is also called sicklepod.

Senna tora

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Spring desirables!

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

We had some crazy thunderstorms last night, when i looked at my hoop house the top was blown open and a tree branch was lodged in one of the cells in a tray. I have to stitch up the cover now since it looks like the branch went through the cover first before the wind blew the rest of it off. Oh well all the other plants in nursery pots are ok and a couple of the Silphiums germinated.

My Antennaria is flowering now too

I dont know why Im so thrilled with these plants

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Are they plantaginifolia or neclecta, or something else?I think some Antennaria might be surviving in the old sand garden.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Plantaginifolia

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, I'm already confused. Your quarrentined comments aren't helping lol! Sorry about your hoophouse Skip. I hope everything is ok. Still nippy, I'm sick of it. If I clear all the leaves no telling what I might find? I found some Dicentra seedlings in weird places that were probably carried there by ants.

I hope it's not poison hemlock. There was one other plant that I killed close to here last year ( before it set seed.)

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, what did I do? I hope your seedlings will be fine. I am of course the last person to give advise about anything seeds. I found some puzzling things earlier again. Will get the pictures later, maybe I can confuse you some more. I am confused, but that happens almost daily out there.

Skip, glad things aren’t too bad. I have some branches to clean up and a big one fell on a bench and broke it. Had a lot of carpenter bee holes in the first place though. Could have been worse. Lots of damage to homes around here.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, sorry about my bidens suggestion. I wasn't aware of the perennial nature of it and I didn't know you were going to ntp with it. The Packera aurea is a nice plant. I just looked behind the shed where the Packera glabella was last year and saw 1 seedling. There should be more.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Im not aware if the mystery plant is a perennial plant, dbarron thought they recalled a similar perennial, but one vague recollection cannot rule out other possibilities. I will keep checking on it, things are growing quickly now. Im going to have start mowing soon.

I was surprised at how much of a ground cover the dicentras and trilliums made at the wildflower preserve, I am glad they spread for you too.

This is a picture of the "weeds" growing in some of the containerized plants I got from the preserve. Correct me if Im wrong but I think this is liverwort/hepatica.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

So. My puzzlement for the day. This ironweed is here for the second Spring. Now it has another plant growing out of it. Doesn’t really look like a weed, does it? At least not one I have seen here.

This is showing up where my native petunia was last year. Doesn’t look like the petunia I remember at all. My petunia was just a small little thing.

And this was my company weeding today.

Skip-that doesn't look like Hepatica to me.

I would sure love to have a field of those Dicentras at my place. I used to have some at my old place but none here.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I see there are showy flowere called hepatica but there is also a primitive avascular plant called hepatica or liverwort that i studied in biology. These things remind me of that.

Ok-I'm maybe confused, as Hepatica here is called Liver Leaf.

Oops, now it's named

Anemone americana (Round-lobed Hepatica)

Hepatica(?)- From my gardens

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, hepaticas are called liverworts because they were believed to help the liver. They are Anemones and Anamonellas. I know the primative plant you are talking about, just not the name but it might be called liverwort too??? I don't have my plant biology book with me. I planted a few Hepaticas in the shady area, and they dissapeared. They were next to the tree that I think might be a black walnut. I'd like to try growing them again. The Dicentras. There are a lot of dutchman's breeches in this area, but no squirrel corn. I think I saw a D. spectabilis seedling far from the mother plant. That whole side of the shed will be a huge planting space for a lot of plants, once I take out all the weed trees. There is another line of lilacs back there that were meant for a screen. I'd like to replace them with something native that will provide a better screen. Lilacs need to have their larger branches removed each year, and it's a lot of work.

Iris, I got some notifications for comments you made yesterday and they were appearing further up, that's why I said I was confused. You had mentioned the Salix discolor lol. It looks like the deer already found that plant that took over the petunia's spot. I don't know what it is yet. My golden alexanders are spreading a lot. I can send a few plants if you still need some. My little friend, the Red Admiral was back again today.

Anemonella, 'Shoaf's Double Pink'. A subspecies discovered in the wild, created by Nature!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The plant growing out of the ironweed doesn't look like a weed to me either Iris. I would wait for a flower. Those primative green things..... I don't think they will cause any harm, maybe some good? I looked up slime mold, it's not that. Maybe land algea or the beginnings of lichens? Canadian Hemlocks would make a nice screen. I got sime sticks of them from the arbor society once. Not one made it! Maybe it's too cold here for that addanag bug that's devastating them further south?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Dandy, that’s a really nice looking plant!

Skip, I am sorry for copying you, but I did order a black gum last night (you know, bad weather and garden fever) It’s already on the way today.

Jay, the plant already looking eaten is the ironweed. Unless the one that is showing up with it is the ironweed and the eaten one is the mystery. But I don’t think so. They are really tangled up.

I am glad your admiral came back. I had a cloudless sulphur flitting around my still so tiny Sennas today. And here I thought I can thin them out some. My golden Alexander is ordered from Prairie moon. I did get an email last week that I am in their second shipping wave. Are you going to do something to protect your seedlings from the cold?

Saw in the news earlier that the National Weather Service was here and did confirm a tornado. This was about 12 miles away.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Now why don’t I actually have a Canadian hemlock? I have Eastern Red Cedar popping up all over the flower beds, so I usually dig them up to use wherever I want to block some view (like the brush pile). Speaking of brush pile, I noticed something digging a big tunnel in there. Set up my trail camera, and it looks like a red fox moved in there.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I took a few bins inside, but they all go through this in nature and can handle it, so I'm not worried. Yes, I had the ironweed confused with another and if you're confused with your plants, them I'll be more confused????? The weather is supposed to warm up after tonight, I wonder if there really won't be any more dips below freezing, can't believe the weather people as anymore! Nice Hepatica Dandy! Is anyone else growing Canadian Hemlock? My non native Senna didymobotrya didn't germinate so instead I'm adding the native Senna occidentalis. I like its pointy leaves, they remind me of Apios. I'm glad you're ok Iris!

Senna occidentalis, coffee senna, native to North America. Medicinal, grown globally.

Canadian Hemlock

Red Admirral Butterfly

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Oh yes, I am definitely confused by my plants. I am not thinking of adding any more plants this year other than what I already ordered. I guess Pine Ridge is up in the Air and will be a surprise. If she gets to it eventually. Not really counting on the Kollar Nursery.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It never went below freezing last night. It never got below 45. It's going to be 20 degrees warmer today. I'm going to move some nettles and other plants. The green stuff on the soil from Bowman Hill could be live fern spores.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Iris I am happy you got a black gum too! I think I am going to buy a 50ft roll of 60 inch chicken wire, cut it into 5ft lengths and roll it into tube shaped cages supported by 3 stakes around each tree. For now I sprayed my trees (and old ninebarks and maximilian sunflower sprouts) with Liquid Fence repellent. Just since saturday I see dozens of new tree seedlings in the back near where I planted my trees. I think they are mostly black cherry and mulberry. All my bladdernuts are leafing out fine too.

Jay that would be cool, bonus ferns!

bostedo (8a tx-dfw-blackland prairie)(8a tx-bp-dfw)

Skip1909: Are there any native plants as conspicuous, tough, and blooming the same time as a daffodil?

There are the golden groundsels/ragworts: Packera obovata, P. aurea, etc.

In north Texas, P. obovata starts before the earliest daffs finish and peaks around the first of April.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Thanks for sharing. That’s a nice flower. Now I just have to see where to find it.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I tried a Packera aurea last year but it disappeared in early summer and hasnt grown back. I just picked up another one to try in a different spot with more moisture. I'll look for Packera obvata next.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I have P. glabella if anybody wants seeds.

More Conium maculatum. aka poison hemlock.

A baby Dicentra.

Another baby Dicentra.

The rue are coming back from the bottom.

East side of the shed where I do all the leaves, branches, compost. The neighbor's vacant dog pen not being screened very well by the gnarly lilacs. The wild ginger is starting to emerge in the raised bed.

Bluebell seedlings.

Solomon's seal emerging.

Bluebells with buds and bloodroot.

Milkweeds germinating.

My 3 Gillenia trifoliata.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I brought over some plants from the old garden. I have as few nettles to plant for the Red Admirals. I also have Trilliums, Mertensia, Aquilegia, Erythonium, Sedum ternatum and wild strawberry. I repotted Adclepias curassavica, Oxypetalum coerulea and solanoides and Dregea sinensis.

1 Like Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Wow Jay, things are happening in your yard! My tulip tree is flowering. So is the one buckeye my husband didn’t mow over. Found another interesting plant in the yard. Going to post it on Name that Plant later. Just in case it is something to save before it gets mowed over.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The Packera glabella that I have is an annual. P. aurea and P. obovata are perennial.

Packera glabella.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, is your Rue always dying down to the ground?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The rue didn't die all the way to the ground. There was green coming out further up. I planted them late last year, so they didn't have enough time to establish well, but they'll be ok. Ooh! I just got a reply from Mountain Gardens!

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Im a little envious of your germination rate Jay. Looking back at my wintersowing results from last year, I didnt have much germinating until mid May and later, I guess I need to be patient.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

And?! Sorry, I am being nosy. I give you the first picture of a Lady for what they said :)

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's funny Skip because I think more should be germinating than are. I planted everything in the bucket. The Red Admiral was with me when I was planting the nettles. Mountain Gardens just said they'd get back and that they don't ship til May. I girdled a mulberry with my machete! I looked and I do have a few Antennaria neglecta plants surviving and what looks like a bunch of Monarda didyma seedlings, that's awesome! It looks like you might have some lady cats Iris. There are little pieces of ash tree flowers in the bins that might look like seedlings, but aren't.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, is this your buttercup? Ranunculus sardous?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

STAPELIADS

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, I have no idea. But it’s probably not something I have to dig up before mowing. I once had a starfish cactus plant as a house plant that had flowers like your pictures. I should get my houseplants ready to go out for the Summer. Some repotting required there, too. The ones that are supposed to be Buddha bellies must be something else. They are 4 years old and look more like bowling pins or something.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The plants under the lights are ready to go outside too. I lost 1 Calotropis. The 2 that are left look like they will make it.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

All the little green cotelydons are jewelweeds, and some catnip and fennel. That's the trellis where I planted 2 Apios tubers. I don't think a Smilax would climb an oak. I think I'll transplant it close to the lilacs so it can ramble through them, until I get rid of them but that's more in the future. I really was inspired by that forest floor pic with the mayapples and all the other species that Skip posted the other day. I'm going to duplicate it in back. One of my Stenanthium gramineum's is pushing through. I'm sorry Iris lol! I might get a couple starfish succulents. After all I'm a member of the International Asclepiad Society. It's only fitting. So many to choose from though. I think the picture of the Stapeliad with the caterpillar is photoshopped. I looked around a lot and couldn't find any records of tiger family butterflies ever eating succulents. Could be a marketing hoax too, playing on the emotions of butterfly lovers. I need to finish the leaves, cut branches, taking machete weilding tree girdling breaks in between lol. I'm rescuing that swallowtail crysalis from the shed. Happy gardening or whatever everybody.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Too hot!

Too cold!

Just right!

You can plant an entire forest!

How long will the blind refuse to see?

The money donated to rebuild the cathedral could have been put to better use!

Sudan, the last male African White Rhino.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Just rub it in, Jay! Maybe I will get it next year. Love your progress pictures!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The red admiral sanctuary is just getting started. I think they like rotting fruit.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, do you get any dayflowers, Commelina in your yard? The lazy people over at name that plant are supposed to give you a species name too! They're slacking off. I'm not 100 percent on that one I'd need more pictures.I ID'd the one I had, now I forgot which ranunculus it was but whatever it is it's roots really grab the soil making it hard to pull out. Just that, and the geum and the creeping charlie are the only weeds, except for a few white mulberries. I've pretty much eradicated the burdock, nightshade, and garlic mustard. I hate that plant!!!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Let’s just say I didn’t think I have any dayflower. Remember I posted a picture of these tiny seedlings I ripped out by the dozens a few weeks ago? I thought they might be asiatic dayflower. Well, I am currently working in the same area again. There are dozens more. A few are a bit bigger. Will take a picture. Maybe there was one unnoticed last year. It’s a jungle of Zinnia and goldenrod in Summer.

Save    
texasranger2

"The lazy people over at name that plant are supposed to give you a species name too"

Maybe you should submit a complaint of the GW "employees" to management.

Forgive me for saying but that kind of criticizing is arrogant and its not the first time.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

What's going on? We got off to a good start and then something changed. Maybe I liked talking to you so much I got in your face one too many times or something, I don't know? I never meant to offend you in any way so why all the hostility towards me now? You've come at me something like 4 times now. A couple times in perennials and how many times over here, in front of my friends? You don't have your messaging turned on. I would have opened my heart to you and explained everything, but you just get off on judging me. You don't really want to get to know me. The real reason I have this thread, how my health is, why I did a meme. You just like to judge and you're blind to the truth. Why can't we just be friends?

And just to make things easier, I forgive you and barron for leading me to believe in a plant that didn't exist, Gaillardia pulchra. Haha, very funny I get it. Unfortunately, that southern hick humor doesn't fly up here! I'll cut you both some slack and never mention again, nor will I ever probably trust either one of you again!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Apologies to my true friends for sometimes sounding arogant, but I'm really trying to follow the Lord's example and be the greatest by being the servant of all. I came on to report something beautiful I saw and don't need negative garbage !

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I didn’t even think to take your comment serious. I hope everybody knows I sincerely appreciate any help and advise.

Saw my first hummingbird! Just came inside to get the feeder ready.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

My swamp milkweed is coming up yay! Me and another guy were replacing my fence panel earlier and I was in no mood for nagativity. I found some spring beauties and white trout lilies at that garden. I put out a leftover broasted chicken and it was gone and there was a huge eagle flying in my yard, I thought it was a plane.

White Erythronium.

Spring beauties.

vollunteer Zizzia.

Dutchman's breeches.

And now for a commercial...." ur n arogant bastard " lol

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

mulberries.......

Swamp milkweed.

Streptopus lanceolatus.

Stenanthium gramineum.

More mulberries to kill. Exterminate!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

So I take it yours are the “bad” kind of mulberries? I have a red one. Here is one of the seedlings I suspect are dayflower.

And one cute face.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yes, red mulberries are very good. I want to plant some!

Buckthorns, invasive bush honeysuckles, morus alba, nightshade.

I couldn't dig the whole root out, so I cut it.

Hopefully it won't be back.

The neighbors keep their distance lol!

fiddlenecks

These are my ranunculus.

Ellisia nyctea seedlings

These non native alliums are coming out forever once they finish blooming. Good green compost material. I'm thinking of using the teasel and crownvetch down the road for green msterial too.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I must say I am amazed you know all your plants at this stage.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

If anyone has something personal to say to me I will only listen if you have your personal messaging on. If you can't talk to me like a real person then keep your comments to yourself!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
texasranger2

Jay, if you click on the Copyright and Trademark Policy below you can read the copyright policy of houzz concerning photos posted on their website or you can check it out on their policy page. Maybe you are unaware that all material you submit becomes the property of houzz and anyone posting photos taken by a third party on houzz is responsible for getting permission from that third party when using their photos in order to avoid infringing on their property rights. We all agree to this when joining and agreeing to accept their terms.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

So what are you saying? That I should stop using copywrited/ stock pictures? Are you another captain of the gardenweb police? Why do YOU care? Turn on your messaging!

This makes how many times now Tex? Why don't you just do your thing and I'll do mine? No reason we should ever have to step on each others toes. Ignore my threads.....please!!! You try having a thread with this many comments and see if you can be perfection 24/7! We are all very happy and riding a spring high here anticipating all the beautiful new plants we are growing. We don't need anyone robbing us of our joy for no good reason! Especially right now! You totally disrupt my thread every time you show up to read me. Why? I know I invited you here when I first started this thread, but things have changed big time and now I'd prefer you not here!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Well I guess this is what drama on a gardening forum looks like.

So how about some original pictures?

Prunus pensylvanica or virginiana?

texasranger2

Jay---By disruption I assume you are referring to both times when I pointed out there was no such plant as Gaillardia pulchra after you complained no one carried it in your endless searching.

No one is out to rob you and your "true friends" of their joy however, you do seem unaware that there are people who object to having their photography used without permission especially when doing so allows it to become the property of an online website.

This is a public forum. No one owns a thread where they set their own rules or guidelines even if they started it.

Keep in mind, people often check several forums daily and have read what you said about them.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I can just do original pictures. I don't like to fly ( in planes) so that could be a problem. Nice photos Skip. I'm gettin me a P. virginiana. It's going to be the focal point of my downhill western planting. I will try to keep communicating until I'm hauled away to be crucified for photo crimes! Let's face it, I'm royally screwed with no way to fix it...OMG!......LOL

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

TexasRanger, I won't use anymore stock photos from this point on. I apologise for my use of them, I did not know my use of them was prohibited. I hope this ends our talk forever. Please leave me and my thread alone! You are not welcome here! Depart from me, I never knew you!!! If I get on your nerves so much then why pay any attention to me? You must come over here and look at it?? You are a glutten for punishment lol??? Very strange lady! I've gotten pissed off at people on here too for various reasons to the point of obsession, yes I've been there. I don't know why I have so many comments, I just do. I don't think I'm anything special and I enter my thread through a gate. I don't see numbers, I don't care about numbers, I don't know what else is going on in the native plants forum and I don't care. I'm trying to achieve complete death of ego, so why would I be doing anything for my own glory or trying to come off as some kind of know it all? I'm just trying to spread my message about going totally native for the sake of this planet any way I can!!!

Save    

Skip: P. virginica has racemes.

Temperatures are finally warming up here after having below average temps for the past three months or so. Went for a walk to look things over, frost is still in the ground only 3 inches down. But my Elderberrys have large buds and look like they will be flowering next week. Temps for the next ten days will be in the 60's and expect to be frost free by then. Whoopee. Jay-I can get your plants shipped out then, I hope.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

So Dandy, would you say based on the pictures, my tree has umbels? Still trying to get my plant anatomy down. Is it possible the flowers will fill in to look more like racemes? This tree just started to flower.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, your flowers look pretty big. But I honestly don’t know anything.

My Blackgum arrived today. It was actually taller than I expected.

Last year, I planted Indian Pinks. There is no sign yet of them coming back. Are they usually on the later side or should I worry? A lot of other plants are really taking off. Don’t want to know what it will look like by July.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Thats a nice tree Iris. Its bigger than the 10 free trees I planted combined! Make sure you inspect and detangle the roots when you plant it. Your garden is looking ready to take off!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Your plants look great Iris. I checked out a preserve nearby. It looked like an old dumping ground and there was a concrete foundation out in the middle of some trees. I don't know the history of the land there, but there were a lot of old auto parts and other trash laying around. Very hilly terain because of landfill being dumped throughout the area. No native flora at all, just mostly a forest of invasive bush honeysuckles. Tomorrow I'm going to a woods that's rich in wildflowers with huge drifts of blubells.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

That’s kind of depressing.

Does any of you have Indian Pinks? Should I worry about them not showing up yet?

Skip-I'm a computer programmer, not a botanist! But I know my Chokecherry flowers don't look like that. Doesn't look like serotina to me either. I don't know of a Prunus with flowers that big, except for maybe P. americana, but I don't think it grows that big. I did grow it once but it suckered 50' away from the mother plant and created so many large fruits that the branches all broke off. And became a feeding station for every deer for miles around too.

Jay-welcome to Buckthorn heaven!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Sorry about the depressing pics. I'll make up for it tomorrow.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, no need to be sorry for depressing pictures. It’s great motivation.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I dont know about the Spigella Iris. You could ask on perennials, I know it is a popular plant grown in the past or present by some long term members. It took some willpower for me not to order a bunch of them this winter.

Im thinking my cherry might be an introduced one like Prunus avium. Oh well, more room for trees I want! I've been wanting a Carpinus caroliniana and a Sassafras albidum.

Jay that looks about right for a lot of public lands unfortunately. Its like every weed infested dumping ground becomes "public" land and any nice woodlot with timber they can sell and dry ground becomes a development or strip mall.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Are you going to have your cherry identified on Name that Plant? I know you want to go all native, but with this flower shape and flowering this early, it must be very popular with the pollinators.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I found two articles on google saying they are slow to come back in Spring, so I am going to stop worrying for at least 2 weeks.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yeah I would go check there first. Im not in any rush to remove it, its safe for another few years at least.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, are you sure your prunus is a cherry? Could it be a plum? Iris, I tried the Indian pinks once but I don't think the soil was moist enough. They didn't make it. Are they a host plant for anything?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, not that I know of. But it is very pretty.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

It gets dark colored cherries on it, just a bit smaller than your standard sweet dark cherries from the grocery store, but similar color. I didnt try to eat any. I watched a raccoon come out from under my deck and go up the tree to pick cherries a few evenings last year.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, could it be a cherry cultivar that somebody planted years ago? The Indian pinks are pretty. I might be able to grow them, but I think they like it further south. I don't know for sure because I thought the fire pinks liked it further south too, but Dandy is growing them in Minnesota so go figure? I hope my blue cohosh survived. It's still not showing.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, are you ok? I see you are having nasty weather again! They said Jersey could get 3 to 4 inches.

Save    

Oops Jay. My comment back a few days ago was about Senna marilandica, not Indian Pinks(never seen them).

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yesterday the forecast was for 2" of rain now its 1" with chance for heavy downpours in thunderstorms.

Jay no need to stir the pot insulting "lurkers", I post in here because occasionally non-regulars drop by with some good comments too.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I deleted it Skip, I'm sorry, I'm just on edge you know. You are right. I enjoyed the surprise visit from bostedo. Good people! I hope you don't get too much of a downpour.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, what’s the plant in the first picture? Looks like something I have a lot around of. Or very similar.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Soggy waterlogged grass.

The walk/ bike trail.

An old oak.

Hepatica.

Hepatica.

Ribes.

Dicentra and Erythronium.

This woods is rich in wildflowers!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Cutleaved toothwort.

Ramps

Ephemerals

Dupage river.

I'm still here!!!

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, I'm not sure what the first plant is. Maybe wingstem? I took the picture last year.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Wingstem maybe. I'm not sure.

Allium cernuum.

Trillium, Claytonia.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I found this on the far corner of the property. Could it be a Prunus?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Nice pics from the park. That bark looks right, just wait for leaves. I saw today my black cohosh sent up a new stalk, that survived from last year. The geraniums, blue bells, asarum, and wood poppy are leafing out more too, I'll take pictures maybe sunday after the rain has passed.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Beautiful white trout lilies!

I don't have any black cohosh, I'll have to add some at some point. It's kind of interesting how every park around here has a different mix of wildflowers. I have more pics. In about 2 weeks it should like spectacular. Of course I'm going back. That park today had hills full of trout lillies and dutchman's breeches and then further down the path along the river you come upon hills of nothing but Hepaticas. In some parts there were no Trilliums in others there were. I found 2 white dinner plates in the middle of the woods and threw them away. There were little butterflies flitting around real fast in the woods. I was mad I couldn't get a picture, they were too fast. One looked like a lady but some could've been Red Admirals or commas or question marks? They were feeding on the Dentaria flowers or whatever they're called now.

What's up around the corner?

wild ginger, spring beauties, ect....

2 sentinels

burdock

Aconitum?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Hi Iris, did you get a lot of rain? Are all your plants ok?

Skip, how are you going to cut down the black walnut? With a chainsaw?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I just got about an inch of rain. A place close to me got 6.5 inches and flooding. Funny how these lines of thunderstorms work. There are dozens of morning glory and cypress vine seedlings popping up. Yikes!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Morning glories are a nightmare. I should have never planted them. I have 2 popcorn cassias and 2 aquatic milkweeds. I like having a few cypress vines every year for the hummers and because they are pretty, but I'd like to get rid of the regular ones.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yes, the hummingbirds and sulphurs love the cypress vine. I always let one grow up the palm, but the seedlings everywhere are a nightmare.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yeah Jay, I have a Ryobi 14" gas chainsaw. It works well enough. I think Im going to have to cut off the top branches from a ladder first and work my way down since it is close to the street. I might as well take out that sick crab apple and bird cherry while Im at it. I can plant something else there, I like that spot for sweetfern or fragrant sumac. There is a big pine tree right there too, I dont really need the screening or height in that spot.

Iris did you plant your black gum? I have to get to that some time this week.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I hope you have better luck at sweetfern than I did. Do you know a place to get plants for it?

There is an old blue spuce. The area underneath it has never been used. I'm going to limb up the lower branches and do a planting around it. A nice a couple native milkweeds that like a little shade.

Does this bark look like black walnut? It must be! There are nut husks everywhere. They say not to compost any parts of the tree. I'm getting a chainsaw and cutting it down. There's plenty of other nuts around here for the squirrels to eat.

I found another prunus trunk next to the other one. The tree isn't real wide but taller than any max hight I've heard of, I'd say 40'. The walnut is very tall too, probably because of competition with the oaks.

These are what the 2 beds I had last year look like now. They are going to be pretty much all native compared to last year.

This is all the bins now with the tops off. I mist them every 7 minutes 24/7. Not really! They will have to make room for patio furniture in another month.

My little friend the Red Admiral finally settled down enough so I could take his picture.

I threw these together late and in a hurry. They will look much more natural this year.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

What does the nut husk look like? Is it getting leaves already?

The nursery nearby does sell Comptonia.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I planted my blackgum before the rain came. It’s been raining on and off again today, so I didn’t get much done. Planted my buttonbush cuttings in pots. What do I do with a dozen of them? Jay, this is all looking great. Can’t believe the grass is already so green up there.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Hope you all had a nice day!

Skip, that is a nice looking plant! Wish I had more woodsy space to tuck these kind of plants in.

I looked up my Helianthus schweinitzii again last night to see about the watering needs. Came across a page that showed there was a recovery project planned in 1994. It didn’t seem they needed too many new colonies to get it from endangered to threatened, but I guess it didn’t happen since it is still listed endangered.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Hope you get a nice colony of those sunflowers going Iris.

One of my unknown plants is evolving, any ideas now?

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Sorry, I don’t. But please label it here if you do find out. I have some looking just like it.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, I would leave the plant to flower, and then it should be easy to ID. It could be an Erigeron like E. philadelphicus, in which case they will be pinkish white daisies with yellow centers. The waterleaf is nice. I'll see how it goes with the Virginia waterleaf and maybe winter sow seeds for the frilly one. I read that it's a biennial. The Virginia waterleaf is perennial. I've started cleaning up the side of the shed. Been cutting and digging up wild grapes, buckthorns, morus alba, and poison ivy. There were rocks in the ground too. A few of the buckthorns and mulberries were too deeply rooted to dig out. I'll have to use herbicide. I'm saving a bunch of spring beauties. They are in the part of the yard that borders the neighbors. I think they sprayed weed killer because a lot of them have dissapeared, so I'm trying to save all the remaining plants. The Tweedia/Oxypetalum is already blooming and some tropical milkweeds have flower buds.

Turquoise flowers!

Calotropis procera.

Ocimum tenuiflorum/sanctum, holy basil, tulsi.

Calotropis procera.

Mayapples emerging at the woods.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Some of my variegata seeds have germinated. 5 variegatas have germinated so far.

Lots of Mertensia seedlings, probably good to remove excess leaves.

Still a few weed shrubs to dig up. An oak branch fell and damaged the shed. I'm sticking a bunch of plants in this whole area. I'll have to get some stump remover.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Your seedlings are all looking great! Must be almost a full time job by now to take care of them. My Eastern Wahoo, Downy Serviceberry and Bunch Flowers arrived in the mail today. They were bare root, so I got them settled in the ground. At least I planted something for Earth Day, right?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I think I bought some bad gynostemma pentaphyllum seeds. They have failed to germinate twice. I ordered a plant. Maybe I can get a refund. They always ask me to rate seeds before I even grow them.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'm starting to see a lot of plants that are hard to ID.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha ha! Finally! Welcome to the club!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

There are 6 Ribes species native to Illinois. They are all nice. The Ribes aureum is very nice.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am loving my tulip trees right now. So pretty!

About two and a half weeks ago, we took the plants that overwintered in the garage outside. Left them on the driveway to be cleaned up, repotted and such. Well a few days later this happened.

Now we have eggs. Not a smart spot at all. I constantly have to walk and drive by.

Meanwhile the little lemon tree was rocking it while spending the winter in the garage.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Only in your yard Iris!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I would not have been surprised if this would be wren or housefinch. They have raised their young in a potted plant right on the porch or behind a porch light. But this is a cardinal. They usually keep their distance with this,

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I was looking and there are 6 differenent species of Ribes native to my area, R. americanum, R. aureum, R. cynosbati, R. hirtellym, R. missouriense, R. triste. The R. aureum is very showy. I might get a plant. The tulip trees are cool. I wish I had room for some. I'm starting to think the prunus or what I thought was a prunus is really a buckthorn. I should know soon.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am already thinking about all the new trees and shrubs I am going to have to water. I planted the wahoo and serviceberry way in the back. Tomorrow I am going to have to clean the curb and the mailbox flowerbed. There was a neighborhood reminder email about that stuff. Not a twig or leaf is supposed to stick out! Thankfully this and keeping the grass at 6 inches for 10 feet from the curb is about all they want. Well and trees that hang over the road have to have a clearance of 4.3 meters. But mine don’t hang over.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Awesome progress Jay. Nothing really new is germinating for me. I think the pasture thistle and cup plant germinated. There are so many other species I am hoping for.

I do have a crazy mushroom patch now

And the maximilian sunflower and rudbeckia laciniata are about to explode with growth

I guess that tree isnt getting transplanted now Iris!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, what are the plants that haven't come back yet in the background of the bottom photo?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, is your Maximilian sunflower coming up all over the place, too?

Just found the first Monarch caterpillar!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I think I'll let the cypress vine climb with the Apios. They shipped my Hieracium venosum plants. I'll have to find a place. They are so beautiful!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Is your Apios showing yet?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

No not yet. This was only about our 3rd day in the 70's. I can't wait for them to pop! The bronze fennels are growing.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Jay there are clumps of grasses that havent come up yet if thats what you are referring to, big bluestem on the right and panicum virgatum to the left. There is some turf grass and creeping Charlie sneaking in I have to take care of when I have time.

Iris, yes, the sunflower started as 1 stem last year, now its over a dozen. Next year it will really be all over the place. I think 1 of my Apios is peaking up so far but it could be a weed lol. I'll know soon

Jay the wood poppies and bluebells are up and starting to bloom, the geraniums and wild ginger are leafing out nicely, and the blood root foliage looks great too. On thursday Im going to expand that bed, put in the other plants from bowman hill, and reuse the old bricks I pulled out of the brush to edge it. Once its all cleaned up Ill post pics. Right now it looks pretty aweful with thin turf grass and weeds bordering it. Also my deck looks aweful in the background I'll clean that up too.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I thought they were grasses. You should plant some Jerusalem artichokes next to your Helianthus and Rudbeckia?

1 Like Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I actually planted wild senna and purple joe pye to the left of the sunflower. Still waiting for those to show up.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, if you need more sunflowers I can send you swamp and ashy. Of course you might not talk to me anymore in 3 years after they are taking over your world.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Have to add that I am sure you all need more Frostweed and broadleaf mountain mint. Convinced my sister in law that she needs a dozen more Frostweeds. Just about 3 dozen more to go :)

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Haha, that was a joke about the artichokes. You'd be dividing them 24/7 . How about some running bamboo and wisteria?

Iris, what kind of milkweed is the cat on?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It’s on the common milkweed. I am still not sure my Jerusalem artichokes are coming back. Planted last Spring and they tried, but they were no match against the deer.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

The Helianthus mollis looks pretty cool but yeah I am still not sure where Im going to plant all these huge plants if they germinate. Let me see what I have in a month or two and maybe I'll take you up on one of them.

Is broad leaf mountain mint Pycnanthemum muticum? I have Pycnanthemum incanum already and Im worried about that one getting out of control and crowding out my Phlox.

I have a neighbor down the street with a wall of running bamboo. The thought of asking him if i could cut some of the canes down to use for stakes crossed my mind. Id let them cook in the sun on my driveway for a week or two before sinking them in the ground.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's what is cool about growing running bamboo, you get free canes when you aren't chasing after it! My head spins over mountain mints. There are too many to remember well. I know wasps like them. The ashy sunflower is beautiful. Never heard of it before. I love it.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Want some? I do love the mountain mint. It’s one of the most popular plants in my yard and flowering for a long time. It’s not running like the weird spearmint I have (might go to Name that Plant once it flowers), but the clumps are getting really big.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I have one Mountain mint. I think it's the common one. It's a huge clump that needs dividing. I had the downy wood mint too but it dissapeared. The Ribes species aureum has 2 or 3 subspecies. The Ribes aureum var. villosum is best suited for growing in the east. The subspecies villosum is also known as Ribes odoratum. There is s cultivar called Crandell. The flowers of this species are beautiful. Yellow with red highlights.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I have some whorled, purple and green milkweed sprouting, and blue lobelia, Ipomopsis rubra, silene virginica, bottle brush grass, thermopsis and a bunch more too. Maybe this experiment will work after all!

I thinned the Silphium seedlings because every single one I sowed sprouted.

My Silene caroliniana is getting bigger than I thought possible in the front, I might have seed for that later this year.

That plant under the railing is the silene, compared to the little one on the other side that started blooming already. I should trim that coreopsis to give the silene more room.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Nice pictures! I didn't know you were growing that Silene species, or the spider milkweed?? I hope my purple milkweeds germinate. The wildflowers should be peaking in a week or two when all the plants are out. I want to go to the local park that's known for its white Trillium grandiflorum, and take pictures.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Asclepias viridiflora is one of the ones Im growing that sprouted.

I planted that silene last year.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I thought the viridiflora wasn't native for you, but it is. There were a couple species that were not native for you and I got mixed up. I think my viridiflora is germinating too. As time goes by the list of plants I want never goes down because I'm always adding more. I see squirrell corn somewhere in my future lol. I left a piece of fruit out for the Red Admirals and something ate it.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The Silene ovata, Blue Ridge Silene is cool looking. You can't get it anywhere. The flower petals look like threads.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

You grow Silene stellata? I was looking at that earlier it seems like a good fit for your area.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I've had a stellata plant for a few years. I want to move it and the regias over here, to keep a closer eye on them. The carolina silene isn't actually native for me but I don't care. I had a vollunteer bladder campion once that was cool. There are a stray S. coranaria or two at the old garden. I have to see if I can drop off brush at the reclaim place. Trying to process it here is too time consuming and it's getting in my way. I could burn but everything is wet. It's nippy again today.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Going to have to look up the plants mentioned later. I am glad the seeds are sprouting for both of you! I was 87 degrees today. Got to get used to it again. My little fringe tree is looking great.

Jay, I know you don’t like trumpet vine, mine is flowering like crazy.

and a cute little visitor

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I love those butterflies! I wish I had room for a fringe tree. I'm trying to clean up all the brush and logs to make more room. I'll have a nice sized new planting area if I get it all cleaned up. I saw some kind of rose. It's probably an invasive one. The chipmunks made a huge cavern underneath my Chinese bleeding heart. It's been slow coming back, I wonder if they killed it? What kind of species of trumpet vine is that? It doesn't look like Campsis, and wouldn't it be too early for that one? I know everything is fast paced down there but really? I was thinking of getting about 4 menispermum canadense vines to let ramble up the lilacs. There is a caterpillar that eats their leaves but it bites the leaves off and eats them after they dry up.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It’s a crossvine, Bignonia capreolata. But since they are so closely related, I figured you don’t like them. I don’t think the chipmunks would kill your bleeding heart on purpose, but having a big cavern under the roots can’t be good. Can’t wait to see the finished product of your brush removal effort. There is so much to do! And every time you turn around the weeds are back. This caterpillar sounds very interesting. Have to google this.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Most of the other Bignonia vines are never grown up here. Just the Campsis. I tried growing the annual Eccremocarpus vine a couple times and gave up. Don't the crossvines spread a lot?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

So far it’s not worse than the passion vines. I do want it to cover this part of the fence to block the dogs view of the road some. The road is pretty far off from the fence, but they will still bark if horses or other dogs walk by.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Another buckthorn and honeysuckle! Arrrrrrrrrhhh!!!@

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

For the vultures!!!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

That’s funny! I had to make more cages. The deer ate most of the leaves on my little Persimmon.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Still trying to look up my mystery milkweed. It kind of looks like showy milkweed. Never planted any, but 2 years ago in Spring, I sprinkled a host plant seed mix. Maybe they had a late start? Can’t remember what was in there, but parsley, fennel, butterfly weed and swamp milkweed came up from it.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, I just found a box elder. Now I can raise Cecropias!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yay! Still should get a wild cherry though :)

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yes, it does look like showy milkweed. Some of mine are germinating now. The box elder was surrounded by buckthorns. I had to dig every one out. There are about 5 buckthorns that are too big to dig. I hate buckthorns. Maybe I'd grow the native one if I ever kill all these invasive ones. It looks pretty bare over there now. I need to get some shade plants in there. I found a Ribes missouriense plant in there. It's a decent size but I couldn't get all the root. I transplanted it.

The chipmunks dug there tunnels to the right where the hostas are coming up. The hostas are going, but slowly because some people can't handle change!

Carnage of buckthorns and invasive bush honeysuckles.

1 Like Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

You are making so much progress so quickly! Wonder when Prairie Moon is going to send my plants (the bare root ones were from them) and what’s going on with Pine Ridge. They still just have kind of my wish list. Don’t expect to hear anything from that Kollar Nursery. Then there are my very delayed Monarda from Etsy.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yeah, I forgot that I have an order coming from prairie moon too. The rattlesnake hawkweeds will probably get here tomorrow. There's still Missouri Wildflowers, Crimsom Sage Nursery, Mountain Gardens, an herb place, High Country Gardens, there are one or 2 others. It will be nice when I have all the plants that I have and they are all planted. Right now it's an uphill battle lol, but I am sooo ready to do battle!!!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Do you like High Country Gardens? I have ordered from them several times, but for some reason most didn’t work out well.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's been years since I've ordered anything from them. I think I ordered southwester plants originally, so of course they didn't do well. I try not to order from them if I can help it, but in this case they had exactly what I wanted. I know lol, I've been on some of those sites too where all you can do is put the plant on a wish list and there's no place to put it in a cart. The neighbor had hunting dogs that he kept outside in a pen 24/7. We never went near that area and buckthorns were colonising the area all those years. The neighbor and his dogs are gone. There will be a new neighbor. Hopefully a gardening fanatic, though I doubt it :D

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am not sure why their plants didn’t work for me. They were small but looked healthy when I got them. Obviously (by pictures I posted), my dogs are not outside the whole time. My older one is inside most of the time, especially when it’s getting hot. Going on 14 years old. They are always inside when nobody is home. What is driving me nuts sometimes is the older one standing at the door barking to go inside (the other one just stands in front of the door) while she clearly knows nobody is inside to let her in. As in when I am inside their fence.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The deer would keep their distance when the dogs were here. Now they are getting very bold. It's very interesting what is germinating where I've raked leaves.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Great progress removing the brush yesterday Jay. I'll be doing a bit of that tomorrow. I'm going to make a pile of garlic mustard and turn it into pesto with the lawn mower again. I wonder if it will repel deer if I smear it around. Im going to spray the remaining honeysuckle carpet with Ammonium nonanoate, then repeat a few more times to weaken the roots, then I'll use roundup to finish it off in late summer. I'll avoid spraying any desirable vegetation.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I did do some serious damage to the buckthorn population around here yesterday. I could see why somebody would have a huge thread about killing buckthorns lol! And they fooled me into thinking they were prunus. There were also a few hackberries in the mix. Maybe the deer will eat the garlic mustard pesto and get nausiated. Somehow a little wren got in the house and it looks ok but can't fly. The cats did something. I love these tiny birds. They are precious little dusty brown Fabrage eggs. I put it in the wren house and I'll check on it tomorrow. The birds are loving me so much right now for turning all this soil that's bringing them bugs and worms. I have 3 wren houses. I could get an owl and bat house and climb the oaks? It's nippy outside again today. It's supposed to start warming up so hopefully a lot more germination.

Save    

Skip-what is that Ammonium nonanoate ? I tried to find more info on web but not a whole lot other than it's pretty expensive.

A new panacea?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Dandy, what's the best chemical for killing 'buckthorns'. I'd read your whole thread, but I don't have 3 months lol! I was digging out garlic mustards a couple days ago. I'm going to the preserve. Wonder how many invasives I'll find over there. This brings home that thought from that book Planting in a Post Wild World about having to eradicate the non natives while adding new natives.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Dandy its just a nonselective, nonsystemic organic herbicide. There are other ones with different ingredients like d-limonene or combos of vinegar and oils like Burnout and Avenger.

It should have the same effect as pulling or weed wacking down to the soil, without stirring up all kinds of seeds that will then germinate. It seemed like it was worth a try. I read systemic herbicide like glyphosate or tryclopyr doesnt work that great on japanese honeysuckle before july because the plants are not moving much herbicide to the roots.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, what's the soil like where all uyour invasive vines are? The soil was rich and beautiful where I dug out all the bushes. It made it a lot easier. They slid right out!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's always so fulfilling when you finally get ahold of a plant that has beem on your search list forever. The rattlesnake hawkweeds have arrived!

Behold, Hieracium venosum!!! Isn't God magnificant!!!!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Viburnum that will be given a new lease on life!?!?

The ferns are growing fast. I'm also moving spring wildflowers throughout these ferns. Already moved some Geraniums and poppies.

The native wood poppies are forming flowerbuds.

Newly transplanted Trillium and Mertensia.

My variegated non native Solomon's seals emerging. I was going to trash them for not being native, but I've recently found out they have great medicinal benefits so they are staying for now. My bad with the native SS. I should have been doing everything possible to expand my colony but I haven't. That's going to change!

My poor little neglected native Solomon's seals.

This is one of the buckthorns needing more drastic measures lol!.

.My favorite corner of my raised spring wildflower bed here at the lazy squirell nursery.

Trout lilies, dutchman's breeches, shooting star, Virginia bluebells. And seedlings of who knows what???

Some newly rescued spring beauties.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The Asarum canadense with several seedlings of Ellisia nyctea, an annual in the waterleaf subfamily of Boragicaceae. Say what? lol

The buckthorns were sort of providing a screen, but I won't have it. It's native or nothing! The menispemums could help, but the lilacs have seen better days too. I'm thinking Smallanthus and Solidago flexicaulis in there? Any suggestions? The box elder is exactly on the property line. I'll just leave it. I like the way it looks now, but they can get a little ratty when they're older.

The swamp milkweed is leafing out more. There is fennel, Rudbeckia fulgida, Streptopus,

The rues are leafing out more.

Transplanted Ribes missouriense. That must be the most common Ribes species in this area. I'm on a Ribes craze at the moment. 2 down and 4 species to go. The R. triste is out for sure it has complicated germination requirements. I'll shut up now! There are an aweful lot of new seedlings and I have no idea what they are.

Ribes missouriense. Now i just need R. triste, R. hirtellum, R. cynosbati and R. americanum. Only the natives!

For my garden heroes. Thelma Smith, Doug Tallamy and Jorge Cervantes, i salute you!

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Jay, some of the vines are in rich soil and easy to pull, some are in heavy silty soil and they break off without the roots.

You got a ton done over there, its looking good!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Plrase pray for my little wren's recovery

The serviceberry, juneberry, super suckering shrub getting ready to flower.

Various suckers and some type of spiderwort, don't know what species. I never cared enough to find out, but they might be worth keeping for the bees. Getting more into the Commelina/native thing.

Whoever planned the plantings didn't look ahead to see serviceberry suckers spearing the purple coralbells that were used for the border.

I'm not knocking serviceberries, they can be very useful if planted in the appropriate place. I don't think my yard was really an appropriate place imo. But I can work around it lol! Oh yeah, there is another large cut off buckthorn stump next to one of the Heucheras. I think i can dig it out but it will take a lot of energy. Did i mention how much i hate, abhor, loathe, despise buckthorns?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yay for new plants! Going to zoom in on all the pictures later and look up the plants. Good thoughts for your wren! Love these little birds. It’s 86 degrees, so it was time for a water break.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, do you have a pic of when your Apios first poked through? I think I lost one on the soil so I planted 2 but something weird is poking through and it looks big like a bean. I've been keeping the soil moist just in case anything lost still had a chance to grow. I'll take a closeup.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The missing Apios tuber?

A carex, maybe C. pensylvanica, never seen flowers..

More jewelweeds.

Trillium erectum going to bloom!

All the cracks are filled with unknown seedlings.

Salvia lyrata, violets, jewelweeds. Looks like some herb robert hitched a ride. I love their look but they are a dirty bomb that will explode.

Newly transplanted Zizzia and Dicentra.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The only picture I have is when it is just poking out, so not very helpful. Do plants have these first set of seed leaves if they are growing from a tuber? The way mine look now is different from your seedling. Are your other ones showing yet to compare?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's the only one. They look thick like bean seed leaves, cotlydons, but yeah like you I'm wondering why they would have those leaves emerging from the tuber, and it sounds like you missed that part lol. Speaking of legumes the Canadian milkvetches didn't make it, but thanks for trying Skip. I think i have enough legumes for now. I ordered an Astralagus plant. Going to the preserve. I'm taking a break after the massive buckthorn purge!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

For what it’s worth, this was mine emerging.

And the leaves now

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I really thought the deer had killed this little Hop tree completely. What a trooper!

And lots of hungry caterpillars! My common milkweed is growing like crazy, so that’s a good thing.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I should have a better idea what it is in a couple days when the leaves open. It might just be a nut the rodents buried.

Save    

Jay-welcome to the Buckthorn club. Yours are fruit bearing and need to be offed NOW!. I'm surprised your neighborhood isn't crawling with new shoots everywhere by now. Simply cut off at ground level and apply a dab of ~ 5% of 2-4-d or Glyphosate to the stump. Note:buy strong concentrate of the chemical and compensate for what the mix is.

Looks like Carex pennsylvanica to me. That's what my entire yard is except for small areas of grass. I was going to send you some but now I see you already have it.

And of course you don't need any more Buckthorn.

Spring has arrived here i the frozen north as of last week. Todays temps were 20 degrees warmer than Jay's! Nothing much coming up yet, but the Polymonium reptans stayed green under any deep snow. Liver Leaf is only thing in bloom so far. I should be seeing Anemone quinquefolia any day now. The only Spring ephemerals I have.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, are those flower buds on the hoptree?.

Former garlic mustard.

Horsetails emerging.

Rotten wood, a great soil ammendment.

A scenic lookout with teasle.

Teasle carnage.

Goodby teasle

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Wow, I just made a comment and it dissapeared! There was nothing even bordering on censorship??? It will probably be back.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha, they do have some weird filters here. People were complaining that chicken bre*** can’t be mentioned on the cooking forum.

Yes, there are flower buds on the poor little Hop tree. Going to make a cage for it tomorrow.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yarrow is starting to flower. Now, how do I get in there to get the weeds out?

Dandy, love your picture!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Nice pic Dandy! That bed needs some stepping stones or something to make it easier to weed. Iris, what's the deal with the birdnest? Are you leaving the plants there until the chicks fledge lol? The yarrow will do the weeding for you. You'll just have s hundred times more yarrow. Have you ever heard of a rough leaved dogwood?

Horsetails emerging.

Horsetails? and buttercups.

I'd love to bring back some natives here.

They were teasles.

It was a garlic mustard patch.

I'm hoping to start leaving all the plants outside sometime next week. The nights should stay warm enough. My neighborhood is crawling with non-stop buckthorn shoots!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, I am leaving the plants on the driveway for now. I am trying to tiptoe around there as much as possible. Mrs. Cardinal was not happy with me watering the plants, but I can’t leave a dozen plants on the hot driveway for weeks without doing so. I hope your wren is ok. I had one happily collecting the dog fur I brushed out.

All hope for stepping stones is lost in most parts of the flower beds.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Those hop trees grow all the way up into Canada. They stay small. Maybe i should get one for the butterflies.

Save    
Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

This Ribes cynosbati has thorns like the missouriense. I'll need to see flowers and fruits now to know which species I have, unless there's another way to tell them apart. I was very tempted to order a cynosbati plant. The other native hitellum is sold as an eating berry so that soecies is in a lot of catalogs. I just finished that Doug Tallamy video after like uh 2 months. 5 minutes of him and I'm all riled up lol!!! I can use the milkjugs without the tops for the annuals. I need to get on that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ribes+cynosbati&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=imsvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjzrPH-0OrhAhUNT6wKHYbwDUsQ_AUIEygB

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Rotten wood. A good ammendment for woodland plants.

the canal

beavers?

another Ribes missouriense or cynosbati

This preserve in the wooded parts looks like trashed land. This is the second park like this I've been to. There are no native plants in any parts with trees other thsn wild ginger. That's the other plant. These forests aren't old oak forests. I'm going to visit a few ancient woods that should be rich.

I used to be able to cross here.

All that covers the forest floor is invasive bush honeysuckles everywhere. It's really getting bad. Seems like nobody cares!

Why are they bailing hay in a preserve?

more dismal honeysuckles.

the canal toad path goes for miles and miles.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I grow Silene stellata. It's at my old garden and needs transplanting. I need to start propogating more of them. Iris, how is your pandurata vine doing? It's sunny now but supposed to rain later. There is a lot of rain in the 15 day forcast. I'm going to sow some Zinnias and other pollinator plants.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

On the bright side, it is still alive. But it has not done anything since I planted it in the ground. Not a single sign of a new leaf, the ones it has have not grown, and the color doesn’t look better. I am hoping this root boring caterpillar looking thing has left by now and the vine is working on growing some strong roots before doing something on the top, but who knows?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's too bad! How many seeds did you have, like the usual 10? I'll try growing it next year. The preserve has a bunch of bull thistles. I was wondering if the lady cats ever feed on them. I know the flowers attract a lot of pollinators. I just thought maybe it would be better to leave them be and concentrate on invasives that are doing more harm like garlic mustard and teasle. I got a new razor/saw trowel that can slice and dice invasives.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am not giving up on it! There were 20 seeds this time around. Can you just mess with the plants at the preserve? You are not even supposed to pick up an acorn in parks here.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Knowing how backward everything is, i probably will get in trouble for killing invasives at the parks, but I'll use it to spread the truth. I do mess with the invasives or more like I mess them up really good lol. I'll show pics! Another package just arrived. The fire under me keeps getting hotter! I have no idea what it is??? I marked my emails from plant delights as spam. They send too many and the plants are mostly the snobby exotics they specialize in just like wayside and white flower farm. I used to buy those snobby plants but those days are gone forever. The box is from California. Must be medicinals.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

As long as they are not thinking you buried a body when they see you out there with a shovel! More new plants! How exciting!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I just take a small hand trowel. A shovel would be too obvious lol. I can't post pics. They don't even show up now.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I saw these at the park. They are some kind of Allium. They taste delicious. I'd put it on name that plant, but I know they will tell me to wait for s flower. I have as another plant on there now. There was a weird looking plant in one of the bins. The bin has ginseng seeds. They shouldn't be germinating for another year. I thought maybe it was bishops weed, but the leaves don't mstch. The only other plant I

can think of is horse nettle. It has little tomato type berries and is covered in thorns.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha! Glad even you need Name that Plant. There is a lot of weird leaf rolling going on at my oaks. Wonder what’s in there.

penstemon is starting to flower

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You are so far ahead of us here it's not funny. Nice Penstemon! What kind?

Tropical milkweed is getting ready to bloom. These all need to be out on the patio. I love the next to the grey Calotropis! Anybody need Tweedia seeds lol. Oops, no pollinators in my basement AFAIK! The holy basil is getting flower buds too. This is crazy. Time is not on my side!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Time for some planting! It’s the Penstemon smallii. Nothing showy about the color. This one is in a sunny spot. I moved a couple of them around. Maybe they have the deeper color as described on some websites with a little less sun? Guess I will find out soon.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It is the most colorful eastern penstemon after cobaea. I winter sowed some seeds of it. Those seeds were hard to get too. We are supposed to get snow Saturday. There's a lot of red admirals around here. I'm planting another patch of stinging nettles. The plant I'm getting ID'd is a non native nettle from the park. I read that the red admirals use it as a hostplant..

There's a red admiral somewhere in here. Its wings are closed.

I thought there was a red admiral in 1 of these pics. They are too fast.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Snow?! You have to be kidding. I should get nettles of some sort. I don’t have any that I know of. I see Red Admiral occasionally.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Urtica urens. An introduced Eurasian species that's used as a red admiral hostplant. Has a more powerful sting than Urtica dioica. When they first come up they don't have many stingers and can be handled easier.

If enough of my native nettles germinate and grow, I'm going to send you some whether you want them or not lol! There is this whole native nursery over here. I think May 1st everything is going outside. That non native nettle over here has a sting more painful than stinging nettle. That's kind of like saying water hemlock is more deadly than poison hemlock. I'm not planning on growing the non native one, but it might be helping butterflies so I'll let them be. They don't seem to be thugging out any native plants. The snow? Should I put the bin tops back on or what?

Iris, have you ever seen any of those little butterflies that use the native cycad as s hostplant? I pulled what I thought was a Cardamine weed and it turned out to be a native and a hostplant. Now I know why you always want to know what the plant is before pulling it. They ID'd it on name that plant. I'll look for more. It's Cardamine pensylvanica.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

That hairy bittercress was everywhere this year but its already turned brown and died so I dont really see a problem with it.

I cleared out a little more weeds and grass yesterday but didnt get to plant. Maybe tomorrow, I'll pick up another bag of mulch today too.

Wood poppies are blooming

This area was mostly dandelion, violets, geum, grass, mock strawberry, and creeping charlie before. I cleared it with a scuffle hoe, I'm going to have to keep on top of the weeding.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I don't have the hairy bittercress I have the native Pennsylvania bittercress. Iris probably has all of them lol. It must be a little butterfly who's cats eat them. Nice pictures Skip, thanks! I have a ton of newly germinated Mertensia in the garden. You should get quite a few seeds from the poppies. I think I might collect seeds for those. It is good knowing how to propogate these spring flowers and ephemerals because the more, the merrier. I have a weed growing in my ginseng bin. There shouldn't be anything growing in there for at least another year! My cassia occidentalis seeds came in. Legume utopia!