SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_470943644

The Great Purge and New Beginings

April Martin
5 years ago

Long story short I got pregnant at the beginning of last year, and quickly became very ill, I was diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarum, was sick 20-30 times a day and lost 27 pounds the first three months of pregnancy. I lost my job, and me and my fiancé decided to move in with my parents, so we could still save money off one income. I went from 97 house plants, mostly hoyas, succulents, cacti and rex begonias to 9 plants. I was so ill, My parents and fiance moved us out of our apartment, and while my fiancé did his best to grab my favorite plants but I lost so many! Most were given to my only other plant hoarding friend, and since he is not a Hoya grower have since succumbed to over watering. Anyways here I am, with a happy healthy 7 month old daughter, and finally our own space again, and I’m feeling so sad for all my plant losses. I recently rediscovered this forum (I couldn’t figure out my old login) and boy am I over here reminiscing. The new apatment is much smaller, so I have decided I need to be very plant picky. My only two Hoyas that have survived what I like to call the great purge is a mature Kerri that always blooms every spring, and a struggling Globulosa with one leaf LOL! I’ve been pondering which Hoyas are gonna be must haves. I had a gorgeous Hoya Macrophylla ‘ Pot of Gold’ which I find myself thinking of often. I’m gonna need a Hoya Callistophylla, I had a pretty big beautiful one. I also had a beautiful Hoya Deykeae that I was fond of, and a beautiful Pubicalyx Splash that was adorable. I’m more of a foliage lover, and I have some pretty great space for vines in the new place. Previously I have purchased from Gardinos, The Violet Barn (I live close to The Violet Barn, the ‘starter plants’ they sell are very small, but if you go there the owner sometimes has larger specimen for sale) I also have bought off eBay (I belive the Globulosa came from a frequent poster here) Anywho I’m thinking out loud over here. If anyone has any ideas for purchasing please chime in. I had probably close to $1,000 worth of plants, and although my plant budget is now no where near that, the green thumb in me NEEDS some greenery in the house!

Comments (5)

Sponsored