SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisadforeman

Kitchen too small for 62" of fridge/freezer?

Lisa Foreman
5 years ago

We're trying to finalize our kitchen layout in our recently purchased forever home. It's a standard center hall colonial and we're knocking down the wall between the living/dining to move the kitchen to the back corner (where existing dining is), opening it up to living/new dining space (where kitchen was). The back wall will be 15'10" , the side wall 12'6", and there will be a 10'x4' island. We also have a standard sized pantry that we'll continue to use for food (but the kitchen is moving a little farther away from it so it will be for snacks and appliances, not food we'd use every day in the kitchen).

We're stuck on a fridge decision. Here are the questions we've got going through our heads:

- Will a standard width/standard depth fridge/freezer significantly compromise the aesthetic of the kitchen by sticking out? Will it compromise the functionality since the fridge will be opening into a walkway (4 ft walkway)?

- Would it be crazy (considering small cubic feet) to do a 36" counter depth fridge/freezer just to satisfy the needs mentioned above, given we have a child and plan to have 1-2 more? We will have an extra fridge/freezer that's about 20 steps from the kitchen for overflow, but I'm worried in everyday life, I'd regret not having enough space in my kitchen fridge/freezer since we often forget about the stuff in the garage.

- To avoid all of the above, and since we aren't willing to spend $8k on this appliance, we were looking into the Frigidaire Gallery side-by-side set. But, this also seems crazy - is our kitchen too small to give up that much cabinet storage space, again, almost purely for aesthetics? We aren't minimalists and tend to use all cabinet space we have in whatever kitchen we're in. Also, wouldn't not having an external ice maker drive us insane? ALSO, we're doing IKEA cabinets. Can Sektion even accommodate appropriate cabinets for above this set?

I'm attaching a rough, rough layout/design. Ignore microwave placement, that's still TBD. Any input is GREATLY appreciated!! THANK YOU!!

Comments (14)