SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19775954

*Usable* Freezer Space in Undercounter Fridge/Freezer Units

User
12 years ago

I recently purchased a house with a small kitchen space. Due to that and a couple personal/design preferences I'm looking into maximize the utility of my undercounter spaces.

My volume requirements are pretty small, about 6.5 cubic feet of fridge space and 2.5 cubic feet of freezer space, which means two units. What I had envisioned before I started doing research is one sole refrigeration unit and one fridge/freezer. Little did I know that the fridge/freezer units would be so hard to come by!

The Sub-Zero 700BC is a little light on the freezer side at 2.1 cubic feet, but I could probably make it work. But even if I doubled it up, I'd still only have 5.9 cubic feet of fridge space, and the price tag would be depressing.

The KitchenAid KDDC24CVS advertises 2.4 cubic feet of freezer space, but in the glamour shots on their site, half of that is taken up by the ice maker, and I have a suspicion that's what is keeping things cold, meaning I'm only getting a fraction of that for usable space.

I've looked at Perlick and two unit wide fridge/freezer they have, but at 6 cubic feet per unit, I'm just under what I need for fridge space and way over what I need for freezer space. I'm also a little concerned about their commercial origins leading to a noisy unit that isn't terribly appropriate for fresh food.

A guy at a kitchen store suggested Marvel, they look fine as far as fridges go, but not so much when it comes to freezers.

From the mostly negative reviews I've read here on Summit, I'm not going to consider them as an option.

Anything else I should be considering?

Anyone know for certain whether or not I need a huge bucket of ice to keep the KitchenAid freezer unit cold?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)