SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

OT; The weed fields of my S CA childhood

Lisa Adams
5 years ago
I’m sure there are less populated areas in Southern California where this is still a common scene, but not so much here. I was driving home, and came across an abandoned looking lot, bursting with color. They are “just weeds”, but they reminded me so much of my childhood, I had to stop and take a closer look. I have no idea what they’re called, only that they used to be everywhere, and now are a rare sight. I expect the fire department will put up a notice informing the owner to mow them down anytime now. In the few open spaces left in the city, big fields of weeds are too dangerous to leave and become fuel for wildfires.
I enjoyed them for a few moments, letting the old scents bring back memories of hiding in fields like this one, making forts, and paths, and picking these as a gift for my mother. She always happily put them in a vase or jar and displayed them on the ledge above the kitchen sink. Many an evening, my sister and I stood at that sink, in front of the days “bouquet” while one washed and the other dried the dinner dishes.
I noticed how many bees were enjoying the “weeds” the other day. Since this scene was such a rare find last week, it doesn’t surprise me that the bee population has suffered. There used be fields of these everywhere we went. Now, homes and businesses fill the fields instead of the weeds of my childhood. I really enjoyed seeing them, and thought perhaps some of you would, as well. Lisa

Comments (29)