SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cowhorncreek

Repairing Damaged Hair

While I was in hospital, one of the bathing aides washed my hair with some kind of soap which completely stripped my hair of all oils, curls, waves, etc., and my hair is now wild. It sticks out straight from my head - on the sides and the top. Do any of you know of anything I can use, shampoo, product, treatment, etc., that can reverse this damage? I can brush my hair where it is totally flat all around and 5 minutes later it is sticking straight out. I am so upset about not having the curls and waves I had all 78 years of my life and have no idea how to deal with it. I am not able to go out of my house yet, because I am still recuperating and doing therapy 4 times a week. Any advice, thoughts, etc., will certainly be appreciated.

Comments (49)

• joyfulguy
    5 years ago

Fortunately, it isn't every visit to a hospital that develops into a hair-raising experience - and I'm sad that yours did, walnut creek.

I hope that you soon have success in getting the situation un-straightened out to your complete satisfaction!

Also sending hopes that all possible recovery and healing may proceed apace, without discomfort or complications.

ole joyful

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked joyfulguy
  • Olychick
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Well, you can use conditioner liberally, let it set, rinse it out, which won't "repair" any damage but might make it more manageable. I don't know what you were in the hospital for, but it's possible the anesthesia and/or medications have affected the texture of your hair. All it needs is time to recover.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Olychick
  • Related Discussions

P resinosa 'Aurea' storm damage and leader repair repair

Q

Comments (6)
    well ... i took a walk out there in the rain ... so no camera ... the leader is extending.. as much as any other terminal bud ... of which, i swear.. every bud on the tree has 3 or 4 tiny cones.... this thing is going to go crazy ... is resinosa used as understock for anything .... ??? now the real test will come.. when the weight above.. either collapses the bamboo ... or it all hardens off and away it goes ... ken
    ...See More

repair advice needed about wood table damaged by plastic cover

Q

Comments (7)
    What you are probably seeing is a phenomenon called "plasticizer migration." The way I explain it is that the chemicals in the plastic to keep it soft and flexible migrate into the finish and do the same there. There is no saving the damaged finish, it must be removed. What repair is needed depends upon the extent of damage. If it is not too deep some light abrasion to the surface will remove the damaged finish and leave undamaged finish. In (more or less) increasing order of aggressiveness: - Stain removal cloths - Polishing compound - Abralon pads in 1000, 2000, to 4000 - 0000 steel wool - Sandpaper no coarser than P400 - Strip and refinish Here is a link that might be useful: stain removal cloth
    ...See More

Using a winter cover crop to repair damaged soil

Q

Comments (15)
    I created a new garden plot 12' x 25' in area this spring. My native soil is clay loam. I wanted a deep root zone so I purchased a soil mix and covered the native soil about 4" deep with that. I immediately planted the entire thing with buckwheat. Once it began to flower I fenced it and let my chickens mow it down. After that I sowed a mixture of oats, tillage radish, and crimson clover in the fall. In the spring I'll let the chickens tear that up again and then sow some corn, squash, and cucumbers. There is some evidence that seed mixtures improve soil health better than monoculture plantings because they have higher net primary productivity as a result of greater light interception. Differing root architectures between the plants will also improve nutrient scavenging and mining. Grasses (e.g. rye and oats) are great for nitrogen scavenging, buckwheat can mine phosphorus, radish can break up plow pans, etc. My intention was to hopefully break up the native soil below the soil I imported. I don't have a tiller and it's been lawn since about 1972, so it was fairly compacted. We'll see how well it works. Here's a pic of one of the radishes. They're pretty incredible.
    ...See More

Repairing damage to EIFS

Q

Comments (0)
    My house, built in 1995, has a synthetic stucco exterior with EIFS accents on the corners and door and window surrounds. The whole exterior is solid and in good condition except for a few minor dings in the EIFS accents. The EIFS is just 1" white styrofoam insulation with some kind of composite resin coating, no matting in it at all. I'm having a heck of a time trying to find any materials specifically made and sold for patching this stuff. I was considering gluing in some plugs of styrofoam as filler and using plain old marine fiberglass matting and polyester resin over the top of it. Good idea? Bad Idea? Any better ideas?
    ...See More
  • Bookwoman
    5 years ago

A leave-in conditioner that contains argan oil might be of help; it's very moisturizing.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Bookwoman
  • jtc
    5 years ago

Wishing you a speedy recovery. My hair was like straw due to medications for an illness. Using a deep conditioner treatment mask made a huge improvement. I don't recall the one I got but it wasn't one of the expensive ones.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked jtc
  • Elizabeth
    5 years ago

Hot oil treatments. Very old school but they soften and moisturize the hair like nothing else. You don't need to buy the most expensive ones on the market. You can even use olive oil and a hot towel.

https://www.amazon.com/Alberto-Intense-Conditioning-Treatment-2-count/dp/B00HW8TUHM/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hot%2Boil%2Btreatment&qid=1554583732&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Elizabeth
  • amylou321
    5 years ago

Ethnic hair products are best for moisturizing and repair. Try the pantene "gold' series. They make a 3 minute miracle conditioner that works wonders. They also have some leave in treatments that are good for such. Ethnic hair products are pretty expensive compared to the all purpose sort of products, but they are great for this sort of thing. I know because I often steal SOs hair products. But I dont think he notices, or doesn't mind very much.:)

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked amylou321
  • Michael
    5 years ago

Shave it off and regrow it.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Michael
  • arkansas girl
    5 years ago

I'm assuming that you haven't had a chance to get back home and wash it like you normally do? Hopefully, once you wash and condition it with your normal products, it will get back to what it normally looks like! YIKES! I've found a very cheap and great clarifying shampoo, it's Suave's Daily Clarifying shampoo, so reasonably priced and it's the best shampoo that I've every used, high or low end included! I love Biolage conditioners but the Sally's generic version is almost as good and a lot cheaper. I have also finally used Biosilk after a million people told me "ya gotta try it!" but I never did until recently. I think this stuff is magic in a bottle for my hair. Only need a tiny amount and rub it on wet/towel dried conditioned hair before you dry it. I think the hot oil treatment is also a good idea. Sorry this happened to your hair... :(

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked arkansas girl
  • Hot Rod
    5 years ago

Go on Reddit and find the sub r/curlygirl and read their basic "solution" for starting your hair over. It WILL help, and the products they recommend are cheap.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Hot Rod
  • Lukki Irish
    5 years ago

I’m sorry you haven’t been well and I hope you continue to get better. I think it would be safer to get recommendations from someone who can actually see your hair and the damage it’s experienced. Do you have a hair person that you always go to? Because your hair person knows your hair, if or what products have already been used on it and which products to avoid. And, who knows, maybe all it needs is to get the ends trimmed. If you don’t have someone, do you have an Ulta Store close by? The employees at the Ulta stores have always been really good at recommending the right product when I’ve needed help.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Lukki Irish
  • roxanna7
    5 years ago

Raven -- I almost posed the same about mayonnaise! I haven't used it for decades, but back in my younger days (when I worked at a seaside inn), I used to grab some mayo from the kitchen and use it on my hair. It worked beautifully (as long as the smell doesn't get to you, LOL). Fifty years later, my hair is no longer in its prime -- guess it may be time to go the mayo route once again!

Now to find something to deal with my badly thinning hair -- I am developing a Queen Elizabeth the First hairline which is disturbing me greatly. =(

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked roxanna7
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

Perhaps they used a no-rinse product which tends to leave the hair kind of gummy and stiff. Have you been able to wash your hair well since you've been home?

I used to use VO5 in the tube as a mask to calm my very curly hair; Well Kolestral was similar (is it still on the market?). Apply a teaspoon or so, wrap in towel & leave for 30-60 minutes, then wash out with 3 or so latherings

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

The two main ingredients in mayonnaise are soybean oil and water. If mayonnaise appeals to you, try vegetable oil.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • maifleur01
    5 years ago

Having used the soybean oil, once, and also used mayo in my younger days they do not work the same. The oil took forever to wash out while the mayo only took a couple of washings. It may be the vinegar in the mayo that makes the difference.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked maifleur01
  • satine_gw
    5 years ago

I can't think of anything that would cause your hair to lose its curl etc. I am wondering about anesthesia or meds that you might be on.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked satine_gw
  • patriciae_gw
    5 years ago

Hair is dead. Anesthesia or what ever will possibly affect the hair that is forming and growing out during your hospital stay. You can develop a 'break' in growth that can cause your hair to break off easily but nothing other than something that is put on your hair that affects its physical structure or the molecular base(like chemical perms) can change your hair immediately (you cant have your hair turn white over night for instance). So What ever your hair was washed with could have damaged your hair. If it doesn't wash out as in your hair is coated in some way, the damage can only be ameliorated. Treat it like hair that has been processed with dyes or too much curling or ironing. There I have no advice but hot oil treatments are classic for dry hair. A hair professional is where I would go.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked patriciae_gw
  • jemdandy
    5 years ago

Try a little dab of Brylcreem, It won't put curl in your hair, but will replace the oils lost and calm the hair to a nice manageable sheen. The frizzies will be gone. Wet/dampen the hair and start with a small dab, about one inch extrusion from the tube. Work it into the hair by combing. Add more as needed, but be careful. A little of that stuff goes a long way. If you get too much, you may want to wash the hair again. Add water as needed as well.

This is an old product that has worked well for me over my lifetime. You have to search for it. I find it in my neighborhood at Walgreen's. It the best anti-friz that I have ever used.

This is what I use after each time I wash my hair. One application at that time is all that is needed. Your natural oils will gradually take over after that.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked jemdandy
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

I remember a little dab will do you!

https://www.brylcreemusa.com/

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • eld6161
    5 years ago

You have gotten good advise here. So sorry that you have to deal with this on top of your illness.

Don't despair. Sending you healing thoughts.

It is so true about bad hair days and how it affects us.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked eld6161
  • Sylvia Gordon
    5 years ago

The best success I ever had restoring perm-fried hair was with the Australian 3 Minute Miracle. These products come in purple bottles with illustrations of kangaroos on them. I use the moisturizing shampoo and the 3 Minute Miracle conditioner. It is excellent excellent excellent.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Sylvia Gordon
  • User
    5 years ago

Sounds like you need a good deep conditioner. Maybe let it sit in your hair over night before shampooing out then use a regular conditioner.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked User
  • katlan
    5 years ago

I was going to suggest mayo also.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked katlan
  • Sherry
    5 years ago

Another vote for mayo. Also, I use this after my hair is dry. Just a small amount on your hands and rub through hair with your fingers. Comb.

https://www.target.com/p/it-s-a-10-miracle-styling-serum-4-fl-oz/-/A-14226537

It won't help with your curls, but it does help the frizzies.

Try not to use a blow dryer for awhile.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Sherry
  • Yayagal
    5 years ago

Was it a liquid shampoo in a bottle or a bar of soap? There's a possibility she grabbed the wrong item. Could you find out?

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Yayagal
  • kadefol
    5 years ago

Try Hi Pro Pac Extremely Damaged Intense Protein Treatment. Apply to shampooed hair and leave in for an hour or so. It is very effective and cruelty free too. They also make a very effective keratin treatment.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked kadefol
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all very much. I am printing this out so I can take more time in reading carefully. Quickly, I will answer a couple of questions/comments. I honestly don't know if the aide used a liquid soap or a bar soap - I was barely able to sit on the bath chair and hurting like crazy.I know my hair was wavy when the aide washed it, because she commented on how pretty and wavy my hair was and asked if it was naturally that way. I have not used a blow dryer or curling iron in nearly nine months (since the day before I ended up in hospital), so those aren't the culprits. I have been home for nearly three months and have used argon oil shampoo, Kerastase shampoo, and another one that I can't recall right now.

I do remember treating my cousins hair many, many years ago with warm olive oil and leaving it in for an hour. It tooks her many shampooing sessions to get it out. She bleached her hair constantly. I do think she used the mayonnaise after the olive oil debacle.

I do have a Kerastase hair mask that I haven't used, simply because having to get back in the shower after it staying if my hair for a few minutes would be just too painful right now. Although, I have been thinking of putting it on my hair and leaving it in.

Your well wishes are greatly appreciated. I would never have thought I would be in this condition. What happened is that I went to bed one night in late October experiencing no problems whatsoever. The next morning I awoke in excruciating pain and was have extreme difficulty breathing. Called my granddaughters, they called an ambulance, came over, and followed the ambulance to the hospital. Ultimately, I was told I had two fractured vertebrae and pneumonia. They could not do surgery on my back because of the way they would have to position me would cause more fractures. It has been very tough to go through this. We are trying to wean me off oxygen (this is the only event that has necessitated the use of oxygen in my life and I don't like it at all) and I am doing therapy at home four times a week. I am still not able to go out to the hairdresser, grocery shop (my granddaughters do the shopping and prepare meals for me), etc. The only activity I have outside the house is to go to my doctor occasionally and that is getting old, too. Also, I have become able to do a little cooking in the Instant Pot - very simple things.

Anyway, I will shut up my pity party now. And thank you all for forgiving me for this long-winded diatribe.

• Elizabeth
    5 years ago

Glad to hear you are at home and improving. Thank you for the update ( it is not a diatribe in my book ) .

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Elizabeth
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

Very sorry you are going through this - and your post was not a pity party at all!

So many of our regulars are going through health difficulties, some dire. It is good to be able to share, even if just a little, sometimes.

Aging isn't for sissies, that is for sure.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • yeonassky
    5 years ago

((((((walnutCreek)))))) I'm so sorry that you ended up in such pain and have had such a long time of healing.

I'm glad you're here to tell us what happened. Keep on sharing with us and healing!

When my sister was born her hair stuck out all over the place. They shaved it off and it grew in straight. Maybe you could try that on a very small hidden portion of your head and see what happens.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked yeonassky
  • OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

Glad you are at home and improving. So sorry you have been going through such pain and trouble. Thank you for sharing with us what happened.

I always recommend people use a sulfate-free shampoo. They are fairly easy to find, even at WalMart of any of the chain drugstores. They are much kinder on your hair than other shampoos. No other suggestions, except maybe when you can get to a hairdresser you could get a recommendation for some deep conditioning treatment and have it done at a salon. Have someone like one of your grand daughters go with you to make sure you are comfortable.

Pain medications and other stress on the body can do strange things to one’s skin and hair too. I think your hair will likely return to its previous state at some point with the right care and treatment. I hope you feel better soon!

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked OutsidePlaying
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    5 years ago

Oh WalnutCreek, I am so sad to hear of your ordeal! I'm glad that you are back at home and getting better, even if it seems as if the progress is slow. When I had a head injury last fall, they used some sort of antiseptic to clean the wound and it stripped my hair, though not to the extent that yours is damaged. I used the VO5 hot oil treatment and it was soft and smooth again.

Your grand daughters are just lovely young women and I'm glad that they are looking after you.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • Lukki Irish
    5 years ago

That sounds so horrible. There’s a big difference between having a pity party and getting to the point where it’s just overwhelming and you need to let it out. It’s wonderful that you have your grand daughters to help you. I know most hair people want you to come to them, but the girl I go to has told me stories about clients she’s made home visits to. When you’re feeling up to it, maybe you can ask the girl you go to or find someone who can come to you.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Lukki Irish
  • cat_mom
    5 years ago

Olaplex makes different hair repair/bonder treatment products. #1 and #2 are for salon use only. #3 is a pre-shampoo treatment you can use at home. #4 and #5 are a shampoo and conditioner respectively. #6 is a new product (I think). It’s a leave-in (styling) product. They aren’t cheap, but a little does go a long way (you literally only need a dime sized amount of the shampoo to create a head full of suds!).

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked cat_mom
  • arkansas girl
    5 years ago

Somehow or nuther, you need to get your hair washed and get that junk out of it that they put on it when you were in the hospital. Is there no way to wash your hair? That's a terrible situation to be in...I feel really bad for you :(

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked arkansas girl
  • nicole___
    5 years ago

Another one who has curly wavy hair....and have used Mayonnaise. Apply liberally to warm, wet hair. Twirl you hair on top of your head, use a butterfly clasp to hold it there for 30 minutes. Then rinse out with warm water......not real well. Leave a little in. I use an old bath towel when I do this. It will feel greasy the next day when you brush your hair.....and....you will smell like a salad...but the problem will be fixed.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked nicole___
  • quasifish
    5 years ago

I swear by Aussie 3 minute miracle.

About a year ago, I made the mistake of mixing up a concoction I found on the internet and using it on my hair. It made it a dry, brittle mess that I could not seem to fix. I thought I had destroyed the hair, as it felt nothing like my usual hair. After a couple of weeks of routine with good conditioner, it went back to normal. I suspect that the little scales along the hairs all got dried and lifted and over a few weeks they mostly smoothed back down.

Some people swear by using coconut oil as a deep conditioner, but I've never had the patience for washing oils like that out of my hair.

I hope you are able to get your hair back into shape soon.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked quasifish
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 years ago

Read about Olaplex. That could work. You already use some of the best products like Kerastasse. So so sorry you are going through this very tough patch.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • marylmi
    5 years ago

Walnut creek, so sorry you are going through this. If you can't wash your hair you could try a dry shampoo. Living Proof has good products and has dry shampoo. I've used their Dry Volume Blast to give my hair a little volume and like it. Sephora, ULTA, Amazon, and of course their website carry their products.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked marylmi
  • always1stepbehind
    5 years ago

Leave in conditioners, argan or morrocan (sp?) oil...just leave them in.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked always1stepbehind
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Regarding mayo, the ingredients used to make this condiment are veggie oil (any type will do), egg yolks and acids such as vinegar and lemon juice. Egg yolks are often used in home hair treatments to strengthen and moisturize hair. It is thought that the combination of oil, egg yolk and acid (as found in mayo) work together to condition and restore moisture to the hair.

I tried it many years ago, and while it left my hair shiny and silky, it also took many shampooings to get it out and left my hair feeling kind of limp and oily. How well it works probably depends on what type of hair each individual has.

Eggs used alone as hair treatments are broken down like this - egg whites treat oily hair, yolks moisturize dry, brittle hair and using the entire egg is used as a general conditioner. To use a yolk or a whole egg, whisk and apply to wet hair and leave in for 1 - 3 minutes. Rinse well with cool water. To use whites, separate from yolk, mix with a couple of tablespoons of oil and beat until foamy. Apply to damp hair. Use your fingers or a comb to distribute thoroughly thru hair and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse with cool water.

WalnutCreek, I hope you are feeling better every day and that, among these many good ideas, you find a solution that restores your hair to it's original condition. Best of luck!

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked DawnInCal
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

UPDATE: As I stated previously, I had Kerastase shampoo I used, but don't recall if I mentioned the Kerastase Hair Mask I had that you put on after shampooing, leave in for 10 minutes, then rinse out. What I decided to do was just put the hair mask on my freshly shampooed hair and leave it in. That has truly helped my hair. The waves are coming back in and, of course, the damaged hair has almost grown out. Hair still feels a bit dry, but am hoping that continuing leaving the hair mask in after shampooing will eventually totally repair my hair to the way it was.

On the health side, I am still daily recovering. My granddaughter took me to the grocery store yesterday (first time I have been in a grocery store for eight months) and it felt good. I walked very slowly, but pushed the grocery cart instead of using my walker. Thank you all for your good wishes. I love the fact that the physical/occupational therapy and me exercising on my own once the insurance stopped payiing for the therapists is finally paying off.

• always1stepbehind
    4 years ago

Good for you Walnut. Sounds like things are looking up for you.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked always1stepbehind
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

Great news, WalnutCreek! I’m so sorry your health issues, and then your hair, have taken it’s toll on you this year. May you continue to get stronger and improve. Rooting for you!!

And very glad your hair is almost back to normal. It’s bad enough to feel bad, but then having bad hair is just piling on.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked OutsidePlaying
  • joyfulguy
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I am thankful that your health issues and the hair problem are all improving.

When you came here to tell of your pain, and very likely fearing for your future, healthwise, and asking for help with the hair problem, you needed to be heard, and support and empathy offered and you didn't receive any of that in my attempt at a humourous response.

I hope that you can forgive me for my heedless and inappropriate response ... and am especially sorry that it was the first response that apeared.

I found your messages a simple presentation of the facts, and in no way would consider it anywhere near a diatribe, and agree with the other responder that I didn't consider it anything like a pity party, either.

It is really helpful that so many offer not only advice and suggestions, but support and empathy when we bring our pains, problems and issues here to share.

Thank you for coming here to share yours - and there have been a large number of helpful suggestions offered, along with good wishes and support.

How thankful you must be for the great help that you've been receiving from those fine granddaughters. Please offer them some thanks and appreciation from your friends here at the kitchen table

Good wishes for pain reduction and a full measure of healing without complications.

ole joyful

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked joyfulguy
  • llitm
    4 years ago

I was going to recommend the Kerastase Hair Mask but see you've used it with good results. I'd continue using it per directions; not sure which one you have as there's one recommended for weekly use and another for once/month.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked llitm
  • yeonassky
    4 years ago

Very happy for you that you are recovering and as well that you found something to help with your hair. Every little bit helps. I suppose in a way healthy manageable hair means a more manageable life. :-).

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked yeonassky
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all so very much.

@whatsayyou18, I am not using the hair mask per directions and don't plan to. It is the Kerastase Nutritive Masquintense Fine. The instructions are in many languages and very brief. The English instructions state: Rinse out treatment. External use. There is no wording about how often to use. I am not rinsing it out and will continue to leave it in, because it truly is helping my hair return to it's former health.