SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

Will my azaleas/rhodies make it?

I should have protected my new azaleas/rhodies last fall, but time doesn't exist. This summer I'll have work to get my protection ready before the school year begins. that's the only way it will happen. I have some sad bushes. Do you think they'll make it?

The first is Cherry Cheesecake rhododendron, Z5-8. I think this one looks fine, but, boy, is it wind desiccated. It does exist where it takes the brunt when the usually winter northern winds turn southerly. It exists in a wind tunnel, basically, for southern winds.

The next two are Percy Wiseman rhodies, Z6-8. I am REALLY pushing it zonally with these guys, but I absolutely LOVE their coloring. They MUST be protected next year, but they're not so bad right now. I think they'll live. Agree? Disagree?

The next one is...rather alarming. Blaauws Pink Azalea,Z6-9, supposed to be evergreen (uh-oh). Also pushing the zones with this one. I have three of these and they all look like this. There is a wee bit of green leaves towards the bottom front. Will it live?

Comments (18)