SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mezzsop

Kitchen backsplash with countertop bay

mezzsop
5 years ago

We have a 5' wide bay window built behind our kitchen sink. This is a new exterior wall. There are cabinets above on either side which go to the ceiling. My backsplash material is interlocked brick and goes in next week. My dilemma is where to stop the tile. A) at the corner of the turn into the side window (my pref) or B) around that corner and cover the 5inches to the window trim. I would prefer not going around the corner, but my installer/finisher doesn't like it. He just frankly says "it's a mess." Well, it's my home, so I'm hoping for a different result than that. Ideas?

The other half of the problem is the mounting of those uppers. They, of course, were the only ones damaged in shipping, so not yet up. Arriving tomorrow. So ANOTHER QUESTION: Is there anything wrong with the cabinets being mounted right to the edge of the bay? Is there a reason to keep them back? Does the bay then need to be "trimmed" to make a logical end to the backsplash material? Or just drywall? Which I see nothing wrong with....

All of this is for my home reno/addition. The real problem here is that most contractors do rentals, so only want to do what they consider "the trend" instead of what appeals to me specifically. By reputation, I had hoped this one would be different. He's not. I ask for options and get ultimatums. It's a pity - and not fun. Quite frankly, I can't afford to have this guy walk, so I have to be very sure and firm when I present what I want. I need to get the job done.

And - I don't want to do something visually stupid either! I can get no conversation with him on pros and cons of the alternatives. It's up to me and I am not knowledgeable in the area.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments (6)