SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_robert_everly

Are we in over our heads on this century old home?

Sarah Everly
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My husband, I, and our children are a one income family. That cannot change right now. But we are buying a home and our budget (not our lending cap, but what we’re comfortable with) is around 80-85k. We found an old home that is honestly so charming, but it’s a forclosure. The shower has been re-tiled which sounds great, but the back door, vinyl siding, and moulding (all on the same exterior wall) shows signs of water damage. The home was purchased by the bank in February and with all those clues put together, I think the polar vortex busted some pipes and, since the house was vacant, did quite a bit of damage. The house is listed at 75,200, but the bank bought it for 48,400. We would offer 65,000 and then use our 203k loan to do the needed repairs. My question is, are we insane to think this is doable? I do understand that there’s a million variables here, but what do you think? The picture is of the visible water stains on the vinyl, just to show how far up and how much distance the staining spans.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida