SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodnative

Older relative, living alone, needs help but refuses....options?

woodnative
5 years ago

Thoughts on this? My aunt lives alone in her own home where she has lived nearly all her life. She never had children. She has always been a bit of a homebody and private person, but when younger she had a very good job, was active in her church, and had a small group of friends. She would occasionally travel and often eat out at restaurants. She was never much of a housekeeper but the house was always respectible as I remember it growing up. However, she has become more reclusive, almost afraid to go out. The house is a mess, at this point things piled literally everywhere and things do not get repaired or replaced as they wear out. She won't let anyone in normally anymore but my Dad went down there because she said she was ill and couldn't go out for groceries. Now he has done that a couple more times in the past few weeks. He tried to convince her to move into some sort of home, she seemed interested but needs to "get around to looking into it". Realistically she will procrastinate on it forever, and never get around to cleaning out her things to move. If you try to push the issue of any sort she gets very mad. On top of that she has diabetes, and is probably not monitoring her diet and insulin well. If she was in a medical facility they could get that under control, which may make her fell better and clear her head a bit, but even then I don't think she would get around to make a decision to move somewhere more appropriate. My parents are up there in years, and should be enjoying retirement, but are worried for her and running down to bring her supplies now. They all live a good hour and a half from me, I have not seen my aunt in years. For her own health she needs to get some place where she can be cared for, but doesn't want to hear it. Any suggested course of action? Anything that can be done without her agreeing to it?

Comments (54)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!