SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Need some input on front beds and curb appeal.

This is the bed in front of our cabin in the mountains of north Georgia. I have spent 2 years(part time) here cleaning out the bed to the point you see it now. the previous owners were gardeners but due to age and the illness of the wife it wasn’t kept up. The front bed was totally overgrown with perennials (lots of lilies) and they had apparently planted an invasive nightmare called a chameleon plant. I think I’ve finally gotten rid of it and am left with 3 Japanese maples, the conifer, some nandina and lambs ear. The green in the center is mostly moss from a crazy almost 6 months of endless rain. I want to keep the pine straw beds and add pots and annuals. But the open center has stumped me. we have sold our lawn mowers (intentionally) so no grass. I was thinking gravel and conifers, kind of what my parents called a Rockery?

Pics start from the road out front and I go counterclockwise around to where my MINI is.

In this pic you can see where my sister in law and I dug up rocks from the rivers edge and made an area in the curve of the circular driveway. It is too narrow so we made it so people in big SUVs can make the turn without worrying about plants.

Can’t see it in this pic, but we did the same thing with buried rocks in this curve as well.

This is the south side of the house. So in the summer it’s pretty brutal.

Thoughts? We are on well water so can water this area to get things established.

Comments (15)