SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Planning and planting

amylou321
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

So I know the KT is not strictly a gardening forum, but I was wondering if anyone has started planning or planting their spring gardens yet.I have another week of vacation starting Sunday, and I have 60 of 102 bulbs left to plant. I have already planted 30 gladiolus (gladioli???) And 10 mixed asiatic lily bulbs. As well as 2 garden pink amaryllis. I have 50 more gladiolus and 10 more lilies left, plus whatever else I come across that strikes my fancy. I am trying to restrain myself, to Ieave some room to plant some tulips and daffodils in the fall. I am eager for the amaryllis to bloom, not because of any sort of partiality to it, but because EVERY SINGLE TIME I buy a "garden pink" amaryllis, which is supposed to be a pale pink, it blooms red. Every. Single. One. I don't know why I keep buying them. Stubbornness I suppose? The triumph of hope over experience?I have lots of big pots to fill. I have planted tomatoes in them before. But I don't think I will this year. I will probably only plant 2 tomato plants: a yellow pear and a sweet 100 or something similar. The yellow pear is a must, its SOs favorite. We always plant the yellow pear in an old,burned out stump on our land it it does really well. The other,I will try to get a determinate variety and use one one of my bigger pots for it. All other edibles my sister will likely have. She has maters too, but I enjoy growing those.And there is the mandatory (in my eyes) herbs. I have a large rectangle wood pot thing that some of the lovely men at work saved for me. It had a valve or something in it, and they,after removing said valve, thought that it would make a good planting pot. So they hauled it up to my office. I took it home and painted it pink with darker pink polka dots. That is my herb box. Being wood, it is falling apart. Sadly, I think this may be the last year of life for my lovely polka dot pot. Anyway, I usually plant both sweet and purple basil, Greek oregano, thyme and parsley. I love cilantro, but don't grow it. It goes to seed so quickly, and to my knowledge, doesn't regrow after it's been cut like the others do. (I may be wrong) I am planning on doing the bulb planting next week. Everything else will probably have to wait until April. The yellow pear tomatoes always come to stores way later than other varieties. I dont know why.I wish I had actual flower beds. I would love to grow roses at home. I have 2 large raised beds at work,that have 18 rose bushes in them, and there is talk of taking down a useless bit of fencing that is an eyesore and building another for me. I enjoy it enormously, and it helps the 12 hours shifts go by to have something to fiddle with. But I still want them at home as well. Maybe next year.Anyone else planning on planting? Do you do the same thing every year or mix it up? Are you looking forward to it or dreading the fiddling?

Comments (25)