SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ngcurt

the taxes are done...let’s start on the dining room!

ngcurt
5 years ago
Not that I’m getting any tax money back, but the paper is off the table. I’ve tried to do this room in the past, but this time I’m really committed. I desperately need to change the lighting in this room and the adjoining entryway. Here’s what I’d like help with:

1) The sconces are mounted too high and I’d prefer to find some where the light fixture extends downward from the electrical box rather than tear up the plaster walls too much.
2)The chandelier, originally, had a big drum shade, but I removed it. All you saw from the entry was the shade, so I think a more open light is needed.
3)The furniture stays, sorry. I have been wanting to paint the buffet but am stuck on color.
4)Open to painting the room, and my husband has agreed he will change the wainscoting to some that is not so formal, maybe 2/3 up the wall? Still tentative on that.
5) I’ve taken all the decor out of the room so it’s a clean slate.
6) I am definitely not a crystal, glam gal, so please don’t go there. More traditional, but trying not to be so formal. I definitely think the finishes on the new fixtures should be different
7) Dimensions - room is 15’ L by 13’ w, looking from entry. Table is 7’ x 4’, and has three more leaves, which we use a few times a year. Sconces are mounted 66” from floor to bottom, and are 17” long, just FYI.
8) I’ve been looking at the Reed Double Sconce as potential replacements for the sconces. Will try to post the pic.
9) someone once suggested terrariums for either the table or the top of the china cabinet. I love that idea. Other decor ideas welcome, but I think lighting comes first.
10) the entry needs new lighting too. Long story but that light wasn’t originally bought for there, just ended up there to get a CO, and never changed!

Sorry this is so long! But I’d really really appreciate the help. I track dilemmas on this site often and know there are some really talented people here. Thanks in advance!

Comments (70)