SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

I think (or hope) I've solved my rabbit problem

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I ordered plastic fencing from Critterfence and placed it around some of my unprotected new roses, and I'm very hopeful that the little bunnies won't be able to get at them. It's designed specifically to keep munchy critters away from plants, and I love the fact that it's so easy to work with. I can cut the fencing to size easily with my Felco pruners and after putting it around the roses tie the ends together with string (so high-tech). Some of the pieces I just draped around the plants without even tying the ends together and the fence material stayed put because it hooked itself onto the branches. It's much less visible than the shiny metal fencing which I still have around some of the plants, and I hope to replace all of them eventually with the poly fencing.

Since we feed the birds, rabbits and squirrels, many of them have become quite used to us. A squirrel named Priscilla comes up practically to our feet to beg, and today the youngest rabbit (named imaginatively Baby) bounced up to me in the most innocent and trusting way, and it was such a happy moment. These creatures have individual personalities if you take the time to get to know them, and they become so much more than pests. They are furry fellow travelers in this often difficult and hazardous world, and how privileged we are that they give us their trust. Nature is not always kind and we know that some will fall prey to the coyotes and other predators, but by feeding these little guys enough so that they will have lots of babies it enables the predators to also breed more and keep nature in balance here. It's our piece of Eden where we strive to live in harmony with all and not seek to impose our human imprint on everything, as though it were our given right. We're all in this together.

Comments (23)