SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ben_in_north_fla

loquat Angelino

last year I picked up this variety of loquat from JFE and bumped it up from 3 to 15 gallon pot and it has been growing nicely. I believe this is a commercially grown variety from Spain.

I was impressed with some of the size of this fruit and sweetness. I will place this tree in a choice spot in the orchard.The picture shows a quarter next to the largest fruit and there more of same size, but the birds got there before I did.

Comments (7)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

Yum! How long can it stay in a 15 gallon pot?

• dirtygardener
    5 years ago

Wow! That's some big fruit. I love loquat fruit.

• Ben(8b/9a north FL)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Carol, will not keep it in pot much longer, as soon as all the fruit is gone, i will place in ground spot. They like the sandy clay soil in my area and manage to grow well completely ignored. Looks like all my grafted loquat trees are putting out some very high quality fruit this spring. I will post some varieties and several third generation seedling that seem to be seedless..... yes am surprised too... seedless.

• bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
    5 years ago

Beautiful fruit! I love loquat fruit.

• jane__ny
    5 years ago

I'm so jealous! I love Loquats. We had to cut our huge one down because it was too close to our screened lanai and the branches started to tear the screen. We had pruned it over the years, but it kept growing toward the sun and tearing the screen.

It was always a battle to get some of the fruit before the animals got it. If I was lucky, I'd only get a few handfuls. The fruit is only sweet when very ripe, but sooo delicious!

I have a few seedlings popping up since we cut it down. I'm tempted to move them and let them grow. But they wouldn't be grafted. Wonder how much that really matters.

Does anyone know before I go to the trouble?

Thanks,

Jane

• Ben(8b/9a north FL)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I would not chance a seedling if its the only tree you will plant. The seedling will not produce until about 6-7 years old and then you still will not know about fruit quality. I have 3rd generation seedlings from a very good quality fruit that I will plant to fill a fence line and those will have a much improved ratio of quality.... May even graft a few for trade.... hint hint...

• jane__ny
    5 years ago

I might take a chance as I like the tree even without the fruit. Its a pretty tree and well behaved.

I have spots on my property where I could plant it. But, do I miss the fruit!

Don't know how far away you are Ben, I'm in Sarasota. If you do any grafting, let me know.

Jane

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting