Last lines, another take
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (9)
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
Need a last-minute dish to take to a brunch
Comments (11)A couple of my favorites that I think are awesome - the Sue's crumb cake is enough to feed an army. The other two don't need to be served piping hot - warm or room temp is fine, since you have to travel. Simpler Times French Toast (David - Lakeguy) Chef & Innkeeper Cindy Belford, Simpler Times Inn, Grand Lake O'the Cherokees 8 cups sweet French bread in 1" cubes 5 eggs 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon nutmeg 3 cups milk or Half & Half 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries 1 cup chopped pecans 1/4 cup butter or margarine 1/2 cup brown sugar Put bread in large bowl. Whip eggs, sugar and nutmeg until light in color and thick. Add milk, stir and pour over bread. Cover and place in fridge overnight. In the morning, mix cup blueberries into bread and put in greased pan; sprinkle balance of blueberries on top, then pecans. In pan, melt butter and brown sugar until bubbly. Pour mixture over blueberries and pecans. Bake at 325 til puffed and brown - one hour. Marlen's Pull Apart Bacon Bread 1 pkg (10 oz) bacon 3/4 c green pepper, chopped 3/4 onion, chopped 3 tubes (7-1/2 oz each) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits 1/2 cup margarine, melted 1/2 c (2oz) shredded cheddar cheese Cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving drippings. Crumble and set aside. In bacon drippings (or vegetable oil) cook green pepper and onion until tender. Cut biscuits in fourths and place in large bowl. Add sauteed vegetables, crisp bacon, margarine and cheese. Toss until thoroughly mixed. Place in a 10" tube pan coated with Pam. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes. Immediately invert onto serving plate. Serve warm. CRUMB CAKE BY SUE (from Sue/Cookingrvc) 1. Make Crumb mixture 2. Make Cake mix 3. Bake cake half way 4. Top with crumbs 5. Bake rest of the way 6. Sprinkle with powdered sugar CRUMBS 1 lb butter or margarine 2 Tsps. Vanilla 4 Cups Flour 2 Tsps. Cinnamon 1 Cup White Sugar In a large pot on the stove, melt the butter and add the vanilla and then mix in the remainder of the ingredients. Spread out with a large spoon and/or a spatula on a cookie sheet to dry out a little. Then make the cake. 1 Box of yellow cake mix. Make according to recipe on the box. Put the cake in a pan 11.5 inches by 17 inches. Bake the cake half way through the baking time (according to the package directions - this will be about 15-20 minutes). Take the crumb mixture and, using a spatula, lift it off the cookie sheet in chunks and, using your hands, crumble it up into big crumbs and put the crumbs on the cake (this will be a little messy) and continue baking until the end of the baking time. Remove the cake from the oven and cool on a rack. Wait until the cake is completely cooled and dust generously with powdered sugar. Lots of powdered sugar!...See MoreLast layout (for now) and I will take a break: #25
Comments (8)I have not seen most of your versions, so I may be repeating something already mentioned...but your back is to your living area, in almost the entire kitchen. I would rather have an island (maybe for the prep sink) so I could interact with my family and friends :) If you could change the swing on that porch door (maybe swing out?) you'd have plenty of room for an island with some stools. While I like the idea of the two chairs, by the fire (I'm planning something similar myself) they are just floating in the middle of the space. There's no end table, no lamp, just chairs. An island would give you great extra seating, you could enjoy the fireplace and have even more storage! I would put the fridge/freezer on the 'west' wall and put the wall oven/baking center, where the fridge/freezer are now. In fact, you could add a pantry, if you got rid of the counter, in front of the double window. Maybe more of an unfitted look, with fridge/freezer/pantry, a space with no cabinets, in front of the double window, then cooktop (with vent and upper cabinets on each side) where the wall space is, then your main sink, under the big windows, with trash and dishwasher. I'd put your prep sink on the island, with another dishwasher, if necessary. You could have more dish storage over by the baking center, or lots of storage drawers in the island. I like the mail area that you have there, so that would still work with the oven/baking area. This is just one other idea...it may work for you or it may not...but I would rather have my 'tall' appliances at the ends of my kitchen, not in the middle. I also think it would make your kitchen feel much friendlier and be more efficient, rather than a very long countertop, with your back to everyone, while you work. Anyway, just my two cents worth. Hopefully there are a couple of ideas, that may lead you to more plans...until you find the one that is going to create a wonderful kitchen, for you and your family :)...See MoreWe're coming down to the wire---Can you take one last look?
Comments (11)thank-you! It was such a relief to come back and see replies and advice! Lavender Lass--Those windows have driven me #$%$^&!!! :) In the end it came to what common window sizes worked in our 8ft ceilings and would also give us the longest bank of windows without having a post in the middle of my view. I couldn't get 3 windows to work as well. Our roofline is low on this side of the house and the exterior soffits protrude so I have to be careful of balance. I'm quite at peace with the windows/sink location. The windows will be square. rhome-I'm glad you addressed the cupboards flanking the range. I'm not sure why I'm having such a hard time visualizing those. I have a bank of cupboards like you described (no corner angling). I know some people dislike them but I guess I'm tall enough that the reach doesn't bother me. Good idea on turning that pantry. I had planned on using it as a combo broom closet/bulky appliance (crockpot,electic griddle, etc.) cupboard My only concern is if it would work with the existing flush wood vent that is in the hardwood in that location. florantha--I'm waffling on plunk space---I know the evil of which you speak. We've gotten better as we have a very tall dog with a whippy tail and counter-height nose. processing leftovers-to the right of the cleanup sink, same with toast (the toaster will likely live to the left of the range) Making sandwiches will either happen there or on the island. florantha/bmore As far as the microwave I *think* I'm going to put it on the left of the island. I know myself well enough that I would rather take an extra few steps out of my work triangle then to have someone IN my work triangle. I tend to do a lot of re-heating from the kitchen table and from our coffee/tea station (the far-left from the cleanup sink, where the open shelves are) so it would certainly be convenient for that. Our girls are forever microwaving their hot wheat bags 'warm-ups'. bmore-I hope we can make the disposal work with a pull out garbage. The garbage would be pulling out on the corner, towards the windows and the base sink cabinets would open towards the fridge. Would that work? Is it rhome that has a similar setup? sandyponder--I knew I recognized your name, it kept coming up in archived posts about corner ranges when I was exploring that avenue! . I'm going to make that prepsink as large as the cabinet will allow although I haven't figured out schematics yet. Stay tuned for more questions on that when we start picking cabinets and sinks! I'm being booted off of the laptop as my DH just plated dinner. Thank you all so much for the time and thought put into your replies....See MoreAnother Last Pull Question
Comments (17)Thank you, everyone! (I think) I've made a decision! -Small pulls on both pantry doors. -Medium pulls on both sink doors, top, centered, horizontal. Initially, my plan had been to have the medium (5") pulls on my 18" bank of drawers as well, but KD convinced me to go with the larger pulls, saying to use all the same size on my drawers. I did so, and am fine with that decision, though I would have been just as happy with the 5" on those drawers. The larger pulls just kept looking a little bit too big for the sink doors. The medium ones look just right to me, and I don't care that they're not the same size as the drawers right next to them. I think the KD also wanted two different sized pulls for the pantry - small on top and big on the bottom, but that looks off to me. Going with the smaller for those doors looks better (to me.)...See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

FALL AND THANKSGIVINGTake a Last Leaf-Peeping Trip With These 25 Postcards of Fall
Readers from across the country, and the world, share seasonal views from their front yards, backyards and beyond
Full Story
CONTEMPORARY HOMESHouzz Tour: Strong, Modern Lines Stand Up to the Trees
Modernism takes kindly to the New York woods, with double-height ceilings for openness and a burbling creek for music
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESFresh Take: 13 Great Ways to Say Yes to Plaid
Give your room a dose of the unexpected with plaid’s classic lines in nearly infinite colors and materials
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Modernism Takes a Natural Turn in Pennsylvania
Generous wood throughout and woodsy sights outdoors soften and warm this home’s modern lines
Full Story
KITCHEN OF THE WEEKA Fresh Take on a Modern Farmhouse Kitchen
Crisp contrast and clean lines will keep this Canadian kitchen from feeling dated anytime soon
Full Story
WINDOW TREATMENTSThe Art of the Window: Contemporary Takes on Classic Treatments
A decorator shows 10 ways to update traditional curtains and other coverings to satisfy today’s taste for clean lines and ‘collected’ looks
Full Story
WHITE KITCHENSPennsylvania Kitchen Offers a Contemporary Take on Farmhouse Style
Tall and clean-lined cabinets, soapstone countertops and walls of windows give this kitchen a bright and airy feel
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNGeometric Designs Keep Plants in Line
Structure your landscape with strips and blocks for simplicity and a crisp, contemporary look
Full Story
FUN HOUZZTrendy Themes Get a Last (Maybe?) Hurrah on Fantasy Easter Eggs
Forget pastel dip dye — these imaginary eggs give 8 popular decorating themes one last chance
Full Story
ARCHITECTUREThe Classic Gable Takes a New Turn
A common house shape has a decidedly uncommon use at Vitra's showroom in Germany. We step inside for a closer look
Full Story
laceyvail 6A, WV