SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_60675495

A very good recipe for an inauthentic Irish American Soda Bread/Scone

T.W.
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I made this recipe this morning It is delicious.

It looks just the like picture (that's never, ever happened, to me, before.)

AN IRISH SODA BREAD RECIPE AS INAUTHENTIC AS IT’S DELICIOUS

Like a giant, rich scone.

Ingredients:

2 cups flour

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

A good pinch of salt

6 tablespoons butter

3/4 cup buttermilk

1 egg

1 cup chopped dates (optional) I used golden raisins - sultanas - which I always have on hand

2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger (optional)

Instructions:

• Preheat the oven to 350° F (175° C). Line a baking tray with parchment or a baking mat.
  • If using the dates and ginger, chop them now and combine in a small bowl with a light dusting of flour to help keep the sticky pieces separate.
  • Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces (I grate it) and use fingers or a pastry blender to rub into the dry mixture until no chunks remain and you have a uniform texture. (This can also be an also be done in short pulses with a food processor.) Add the dates ginger and mix to distribute evenly.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk and egg together. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a spatula or wooden spoon. The mixture will be heavy and sticky. Dust your hands with flour and form into a rough ball and place it on the prepared baking tray. Slice an “X” on the top.
  • Bake for 45 minutes. The top should be golden brown, craggy, and firm. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with butter, marmalade, or whatever else seems delicious.

Comments (2)