SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_116236126

Sterilising soil

Martin
5 years ago

Hi all,

A couple of years ago a potted lemon of mine caught root rot and after replanting with new soil (twice I think), treating with fungicides and so on and so forth it unfortunately kicked the bucket after about a year of struggling. I gathered the replaced soil as well as the soil in the pot in a large bag and left it in a corner of the attic where it by now is as close to completely dry as it ever will be (not a plan of mine, just due to being left there). Now, as the soil in itself should still be fine as to mineral content etc. I was considering sterilising it in order to eventually mix it up with worm castings and use. However, although searching online gives fairly consistent results (between 80-90 °C until the soil is just above 80 °C inside for half an hour), the advice tends to talk about unspecified toxins and not really seem to have a grasp of what "sterile" means.

Basically, the pages I have found talk about not heating it to a higher temperature than the specified as this would release toxins, and a couple of pages also mention that it would kill beneficial organisms. Ignoring the last obvious ignorance as to the purpose of sterilisation, why would soil release toxins at the relatively low temperature of 110 °C (the temperature you would bring water to if needing to make sure that absolutely everything in it is dead), and what toxins would these be? As this seems rather odd to me I wanted to check if anybody here has any slightly more scientific way of approaching the matter. If I want to make sure that the fungal spores are dead I would obviously want to bring the soil up to a higher temperature, but if there is actually a real risk of toxins (in difference to something someone wrote online once and others then have copied) this is obviously best avoided.

Thanks in advance!

/Martin

Comments (11)