SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karl_a

Swainsona from seed

17 years ago

Hi All,

I collected some swainsona (darling pea) seed a year ago and have been trying to grow it since.

Initially, I started in late spring using the standard chipping and hot water soak methods. Both failed to produce seedlings which I put down to lack of sterility in the potting mix. But even after sterilising the soil, germination was still at 100% failure. So I gave up as a hot summer was pressing in.

Now I'm at it again using this method (because i've got very few seed left). 1)bleach sterilise seed 2)scarify, 3)Sow onto moist sphagnum in a jar, 4)put in a shady spot outside.

This has worked well with 100% germination in 2 weeks despite the cool temperatures (I'm in the ACT where currrently the day temps are 16oc with 0oc at night and its getting colder).

I've now sown them out into pots and three have put up their seed leaves. Yay! Now the next challenge is to nurse them through a Canberra winter (max -7oc)!

My question are.

In Canberra most endemic peas come up in late Autumn and then sit there all winter with about two leaves before growing away in the spring, is this the darling peas natural cycle also?

How cold tolerant are they? It gets to -7 in Canberra.

What are other peoples general experiences with growing swainsona species? I'm pretty sure I'm making it hard for myself.

regards

Karl

Comments (2)