SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19039753

How Decorating Has Evolved

User
5 years ago

In looking back I think it is interesting how decorating of spaces has evolved. Some were utilitarian spaces never meant to be decorated but rather were where chores were done -- the kitchen, the laundry and even the bathroom.

In looking at old pictures or decorating magazines, these rooms are never mentioned -- instead it is the living room, dining room, libraries and even bedrooms where decorating takes place.

Kitchens had cabinets and cupboards and perhaps a clock on the wall so the cook could tell time. No art, no decorative stuff -- if it was out, it was useful! In the 50s, IMO, kitchens started getting "decorated" -- canisters had a theme, often there were decorative items on the walls and wallpaper and color were added. And it grew from there!!!! Now we have statement pendants, art, decorative items on shelves and in glass front cabinets. Kitchens often look show room ready rather than a work place to fix a meal -- all the workplace stuff is hidden in drawers or cabinets.

Bathrooms, too, were utilitarian. You went in there for two purposes -- to clean up and to ... well, you know! Fixtures were white, there were rods so towels could dry and perhaps a rug on the floor for wet feet after you stepped out of the bathtub. And again in the 50s, bathrooms started being "decorated" -- stuff on the wall (although what I remember is often "water" themed like shells and the like -- and then as we progressed to vanities, those got decorated not only with lotions and soap but "things". And early on, a lot of that was "water" related with a basket of shells perhaps. Now we have pictures on the walls, the stuff on the vanity is often purely decorative (except perhaps for the soap) and it is a pretty room.

Then there is the laundry room -- in the basement for years and years. Concrete or brick walls, concrete floor, perhaps something between the washer and dryer (once those began being made -- in early days it was a wringer washer and lines to hang wash out in the winter). But we moved them upstairs where they were more convenient. At first it was just a room with sheetrock walls and a linoleum floor and a shelf for the laundry detergent and fabric softener. But then we decided that we needed to upgrade that space. And so we hung pictures, we hid the laundry detergent and fabric softener in either pretty containers or behind closed doors. Then we began hiding the washer and dryer itself so it was a prettier room!

Lastly, there is the back door. It's where the family came in. Perhaps there were some hooks to hang a coat but that was about it -- it was pretty plain Jane. NOW, we have "mud rooms" with benches and cubbies and lockers! And decorative items like boots and hats hanging out to "make it pretty" and pictures or sayings on the walls.

I'm not saying what we've done is bad . . . I'm just saying that as space becomes closer to living areas, we decorate that space.

I love watching old movies and seeing the bathrooms and kitchens of a time now past. A time when life was simpler and we didn't have to "decorate" spaces that were used as "workhorses"!

Comments (40)