SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crod1227

Help! Input on flooring for the second floor.

Chris Maki
5 years ago

We are looking to redo the flooring on the second floor of our home. We recently installed wood look tile (Marazzi American Estates in Saddle) on the entire first floor. I personally don't like the idea of installing tile on the second floor, so we are debating between carpet, luxury vinyl plank (AduraMax in color/style similar to the Marazzi) or wood. I am leaning toward the LVP simply because we have 3 male dogs (who occasionally mark thing) and an 11 year old, who can be kinda messy. We also have to do the stairs and since we have put the tile in downstairs the dogs have throw up several times on the landing leading up to the second floor (there are two sets of stairs leading to a landing, which leads to the second floor), so I am concerned about carpeting this area, but I also worry about slipping on the stairs if we do put a hard surface on them. My husband and son like carpet in the bedrooms, but we live in Phoenix and an incredible amount of dust and dirt get trapped in the carpet even with frequent vacuuming. If we did go with LVP, we would definitely put area rugs in each room. We looked at LVP this weekend and my husband is concerned about noise insulation if it is installed on the second floor, so if you have any input on that I would appreciate it. So I see my options as:

1. Carpet everywhere.

2. LVP and area rugs everywhere.

3. LVP in all areas except the 2 bedrooms we use and a large media room. (there are two other bedrooms up there, which I would prefer to have hard surfaces in, but we would carpet all the bedrooms as well)

And then what do I do about the stairs?

I also don't want a hodgepodge of flooring everywhere either, so it's quite a conundrum. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Comment (1)