New natives growing and planting.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'm growing a large number of new native plants this year. In this thread me and others doing the same thing, are talking about the whole process from seed to planting. If you are growing some new native plants this year or just thinking about it, feel welcome to chime in!

SaveComment168Like
Comments (168)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's Monday March 11 2019. Several species of new natives have been winter sowing for 8 weeks. In about 4 weeks they will start sprouting.

https://youtu.be/trJKZDEfvrc

1 Like Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Can’t wait to see the happenings in your bins! Skip, would you mind posting the picture of your progress again? So sorry I missed it.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, you can see pictures now?

Asclepias incarnata var. pulchra

Asclepias incarnata var. pulchra

Violas native to South Carolina.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skips prep work!

A clean canvas! (well, maybe not!)

Iris, let me know if you missed any other pictures.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I can see the pictures! This is a really pretty milkweed. Guess I will see which of mine are coming back. Can’t be that much longer. The first Monarch eggs last year were on March 30. I think my violets are the ones in the second picture.

Skip, this looks awesome! Gets me motivated to grab a saw and lopers.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

There is still a lot more to do at either end, but I am making progress! There will no doubt be a flush of weeds in the spring, but I picked out most of the junk that makes it into an impenetrable tangle. I pulled a big poison ivy vine off that bigger tree to the right by the fence and dug out its roots. That was a little nerve wracking but I didnt get a rash so its all good.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am glad you escaped the poison ivy. It’s disheartening how fast the weeds are growing back after cleaning up an area. I should order a load or two of mulch. I doubt they will deliver at the moment though if they have to back up into the grass to dump it. They showed the tree service people on the news. They can’t work because their equipment is sinking in.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

What kind of area did you clean up? Like woods, an edge, or a field? I had a tree truck leave deep ruts in my yard in fall 2017 and theyre still not completely gone.

The point of clearing for me, is to eliminate the mature, seed bearing, self-perpetuating invasive plants, so I can replace them with different long lived self-perpetuating plants that will better support wildlife. Creating a beautiful, functional space for myself is also a priority, so while greenbriar and poison ivy are great wildlife plants, they are not really plants I want to be near. When you create a void. something will fill it. I would fully expect all the vines and multiflora to grow back if I didnt keep removing them or replant something else right away. I am thinking about some cheap shade tolerant seed to cover the ground between plants while everything fills in. Even with all the plants Im trying to grow from seed, there is still too much space there for me to cover by planting.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I was talking about the areas around my flower beds to make them a bit bigger. So I would say field. I don’t really have any woods yet, but things are a bit slower under the few bigger trees I have. I can’t believe I saw English Ivy creeping up my oak today. I thought I won that battle two years ago.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I was thinking about plants that would make good bud repellants and pennyroyal came to mind. It's not native so I looked and found a native called American pennyroyal. It's Hedeoma pulegoides. It's an annual in the mint family. I'm ordering a hundred seeds. They will be worth it for keeping the bugs off and bees like the flowers, and milkweeds need bees for pollination. It will self sow every year. It has a very strong medicinal peppermint smell.

Hedeoma pulegoides, Lamiaceae, Lamiales..

Hedeoma pulegoides

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/am_pennyroyal.htm

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Interesting! Do you think it really works? Seems nothing repels mosquitos around here.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yes, I think it really works. Sometimes I rub rue or fennel leaves to keep the bugs away, but I think this plant will work better. Rue doesn't bother my skin. I hope the Swallowtails use it this year, and the fennel!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, do you grow any annuals that self sow? They might help keep the weeds down a little. I grow a few, Salvia coccinea, Coreopsis tinctoria, and Verbena bonariensis. Do your Tithonias self sow? They don't self sow up here.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I do have annuals that self sow, the Tithonias do, too. But they are all coming up later. This time of year is the worst. Hen bit, dead nettle, bittercress, cleaver and a lot of other plants I don’t know the name of. They disappear when it gets warmer though.

i would not try to rub the Rue on my arms. Haven’t gotten a rash from it yet, but I am careful around it. Let me know if your plant works!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Are you finished ordering all your plants Iris? I still haven't heard back from Mountain Gardens about my plant request. Are any of your milkweeds showing new growth yet? I'm going to leave all the vollunteer syriacas where they are and just plant around them. I have to decide if I want a black cherry, a choke cherry, or a choke berry. Whichever is the best hostplant. My Cynanchum laeve vine will get pretty big too. I have to decide where to put it. It feeds a lot of Monarch cats.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Pine Ridge has my wishlist. Hope to hear from them soon as to what they have available. Otherwise I think I am done. Unless you guys here introduce me to something I just have to have.....No milkweed showing up yet. Other than my aquatic. It actually didn’t even loose all the leaves this winter.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I didn't read the fine print for Mountain Gardens. It said they start taking bare root orders in April, so there's still a chance of getting an Apios priceana. Pine Ridge has sold amplexicaulis and variegata plants in the past, but I'm not sure they will have them this year. Do you have a wafer ash? Apios priceana and leafy prairie clover are both endangered species in Illinois. I wish I could find seeds for our endangered bush clover Lespedeza leptostachya.

Lespedeza leptostachya.

Dalea foliosa

Apios priceana

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I do have small ones. But they are stuck in my head as Hop tree. No idea why. The area I am working on today has a lot of Bermuda grass. That stuff is such a pain to get out.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

We have a big weather system heading this way with snow and rain. It looks clear by you Iris. It will get here in a couple days. I'm starting to plan where to put all these plants. The 2 part shade beds are already full.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

We should get thunderstorms Friday morning. Today is about perfect. Sunny and 67 degrees. Birds are singing and the frogs are calling. Can’t ask for much more.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Did any more of your Pandurata or sweet potato seeds germinate? Pandurata is considered noxious in North Carolina, but it isn't in Illinois or South Carolina.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Nope. It’s still the lonely one. You have to wonder how something is able to get noxious if it is so hard to grow on purpose. Currently trying to look up some tiny flowers. They are cute, but there are a lot of them. Might ask here later for help or to confirm.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Sounds good to me. I love doing IDs!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I think I got this one. Probably should have known in the first place.

Houstonia pusilla. Does that look right? There are big areas of this right now.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It looks like a Houstonia species. There's a few to look at. They are nice!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Houstonia caerulea? Didn't Skip just show us that plant? Guess you won't have to buy it lol. There is a weed leaf in the pic that was throwing me until I figured it out.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Well. There isn’t that much actual grass in the lawn currently. Weed leaves everywhere! Keeps the critters happy.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

That does look like Houstonia, nice!

I see signs of life in my yard, nothing like what you are showing Iris but I can hear the birds and feel the plants waking up. The extended weather forecast is clear of freezing day time temps... spring might actually be on the way!

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I can’t wait for Spring! There is a big group of Upland chorus frogs in the drainage pond behind my property as background noise. Plus the 2 green frogs in my pond. The wrens started building a nest. I usually have the garage door open when I am working outside to get my tools, but had to close it since they were hopping around on the shelves looking for the perfect spot.

dandy_line(3B (Northern, Mn))

Jay said: I have to decide if I want a black cherry, a choke cherry, or a choke berry.

Jay-I can give you seeds for all three later this year. Put a note on your calendar to email me in fall for seeds.

Spring here is not quite close yet. But, had first temps above freezing since early January so I can at least think about it. Going to start my 30 day cold period seeds this week and get them under the 2' of snow. They will like it under there I'm sure.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Sounds good Dandy. I might still get one of those 3 as a plant at THE NEXT NATIVE PLANT SALE. I'd like to add some partridgeberries and wintergreen at some point. We have a native Myrica, but ours is a bog plant.

Save    

Be careful with Wintergreen. It grows native up here and I tried transplanting some I found in a ditch but they didn't survive. Seems they need the micro organisms they came with. Make sure you get a guarantee with it.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I tried growing wintergreen years ago with no success. I think you are right about what it needs. I tried the bayberries too with no success. It was before bonap. I didn't know the bayberries were'nt native for me. Do you have any Aralia nudacaulis plants?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, are all the lids on your bins secure with the storm coming? Going to look up Aralia. Should look up another weed.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Can anybody tell me what words I should put in the search on Google for this weed?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I would put that on name that plant. It's cool looking whatever it is. I've never seen anything like it before. I'm sure someone over there knows. I can't blow up pics again. I have to download them in order to enlarge. My perennials are starting to come back. Am going to plant some bare root lilies tomorrow.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Guess I will do that. I dug one up and took pictures including a ruler just in case. I thought I might be able to find something on Google, but I must be using the wrong search term.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It is a hard one to find descriptive words for. I'm thinking that with it looking so unusual it should get a fast ID. Just make sure to use the pic with the ruler. You know how they are about 'scale' lol.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I saw your post on ntp. It could be some bizarre species of chickweed.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Thanks Jay! There are so many different ones. At least it looks the defense for the aphids on my milkweeds is already in place. And it’s a native one for once!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I couldn't find any chickweeds that match.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I have plenty of the normal looking chickweed, too. What do you know, googling chickweeed just now again, I should probably eat it! Ha.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Ipomoea panduata evolved in North America along with all of these insects that depend on it to exist!

Pink Spotted Sphinx Moth

Morning Glory Plume Moth

Sweet Potato Leaf Miner Moth

Oligolectic Bee

Mallow Bee

Morning Glory Bee

Striped Tortoise Beetle

Golden Tortoise Beetle

Phaeae monostigma, long horned beetle. Be fruitful and multiply!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Nice pictures. I had some photography fails today. This little one didn’t want to hold still. Plus he looked like he got into a bag of Cheetos.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's a great picture. What a cute bee! Those weedy mints are great for the bees. A lot of times when I google native woodland gardens the pictures that come up have hostas in them. That bugs me.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Maybe your plant has all of them stumped too lol!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I've had problems growing certain morning glories. We used to have a Frank's Nursery store and they would always have seeds for Argyreia nervosa, Hawaiian woodrose. I tried growing them a few times but no luck. It's not even really originally from Hawaii. It's from India. It has near palmate leaves and yellow flowers. I've always loved yellow morning glories. I think I grew another yellow species once and got one flower. These are not native, but they are beautiful.

Argyreia nervosa, medicinal

Argyreia nervosa with woodrose seedpod. Not native!

Merremia umbellata

Merremia vitifolia

Please don't grow these unless you live in the tropical locations these plants are native to. Grow something native like Ipomoea pandurata instead. The wildlife that's still clinging on will thank you!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am still hovering over my one and only seedling. I think I am spotting the first true leaves coming. I hope it will make it. Altogether I planted 40 seeds of this over the past 3 years. Not sure I would try again if it doesn’t work out.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Did you direct sow the seeds outside?

Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I didn’t. I did the soaking and roughing them up a bit before, this time I just soaked. I didn’t toss the pots that didn’t work right away, I put them outside until the next Spring. Hoping this little one makes it.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

At least you got one plant Iris. Still no signs of germination from the popcorn cassia or Gomphocarpus cancellatus. The cassia seeds swelled after soaking, very weird. Only one Salvia coccinea. That won't do. I guess maybe no popcirn cassia this year but that's ok because I'm growing a huge amount of new legumes including another Senna, Senna obtusifolia.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

A long time ago, I tried growing northern bayberry . It never grew much so I dug it out. Now I know it didn't do well because it's not really native to my area. There is a species of Myrica that is native to Illinois. It's Myrica gale and it's a bog plant.

Myrica gale

Myrica gale

Myrica gale.

bonap, range of Myrica gale

natural range of Myrica pensylvanica

Myrica pensylvanica

http://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/shrub/sweet-gale

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

These are all getting planted in the next couple days. I'm going to split my Rudbeckia fulgida clump and move them. Now, where to put the Elephantopus caroliniana and 4' Amsonia illustris? And there's another Amsonia species too.....OMG!!! LOL!

Apios Americana

Lilium superbum

Panax trifolius

Streptopus lanceolatus

Chamaelirium luteum

Clintonia umbellata

Trillium grandiflorum

I just learned that bottlebrush grass can handle shade. I have a huge clump that needs dividing. I'll be able to spread them around and I bet it looks nice in the shade. I'm going to add a second trellis also. One trellis will have Apios americana and Ipomoea quamoclit. The other will have Codonopsis pilosula and Gynostemma pentaphyllum. The last 2 are Chinese life extention herbs. They do other good things too. I think I might cover the metal pipe in the front with something a vine can climb and then plant the Cynanchum laeve vine there.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, that was quick. I had a feeling jekeesl would know it. NEXT! Iris, did you see the common names? One is German knotweed, coincidence??? I usually would look at the weeds of the Carolinas but I didn't this time.

Deutsche Knoterich!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Tsuga canadensis, Canadian Hemlock. A beautiful eastern conifer. It's populations are being decimated by the introduced hemlock wooly adelgid.

Tsuga canadensis

Tsuga canadensis

Tsuga canadensis

Damage caused by hemlock wooly adelgid, Adelges tsugae.

Moth species that use Tsuga canadensis as a host plant........

Anomogyna badicollis, Northern Variable Dart.

Chloropteryx tepperaria, Angel Winged Emerald Moth.

Choristoneura fumiferana, Eastern Spruce Bud Moth.

Eufidonia notataria, Powder Moth.

Feralia comstocki, Comstock's Sallow. WOW!

Lambdina fiscellaria, Hemlock Looper Moth. WOW×2

These are only a few of the species that use Tsuga canadensis as a main or alternate food source. There are many more species!

I got to see a lot of hemlocks during vacations in the east and south. I love their smell. I remember seeing a Luna Moth in Georgia. I'll never forget that.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I always have a lot of branches and twigs around so I'm going to try making my own biochar out of them. I looked at some videos about it and most of those required using large metal drums and ovens. A lot of work and money. I found a good, informative video that shows a method that anyone can use. All you need is a shovel and a lighter. If everyone started using terra preta we could end world hunger and stop the slashing and burning of the rain forests!

Left, slash and burn, right terra preta.

https://youtu.be/ISAszTO2udk

https://youtu.be/lZlJSo8RNAY

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_preta

https://modernfarmer.com/2016/06/terra-preta/

Terra preta.

Don't worry, be happy!

Not even Solomon in all his glory was ever arrayed in something as fine as this!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, that pic of yours with the ladybug. The plant it's on looks like a Houstonia, but the flowers are all white. The plant you showed yesterday had more bluish flowers. Are they the same plant, or could the white one be a different species? They could also be the same species with a variation in flower color.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Native Clematis. The 60 day stratification window is closed. I can't order any more seeds with those requirements now lol. So I can talk about anything without having to get it lol.

Clematis, Tribe Anemoneae, Subfamily Ranunculoideae, Family Ranunculaceae, Order Ranunculales. Most important, these are native species of Clematis and much more beautiful then the puffed up cultivars a lot of people keep raving about imo.

Clematis catesbyana, South Carolina.

Clematis crispa, Illinois, South Carolina, endangered, swamp leatherflower.

Clematis occidentalis, Illinois, New Jersey, western blue virginsbower.

Clematis ochroleuca, South Carolina, New York, curlyheads, erect silky leather flower.

Clematis viorna, Illinois, South Carolina, eastern Pennsylvania, leatherflower, vasevine.

Clematis virginiana, Virginsbower Vine, New Jersey, South Carolina, Illinois.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Native Cypripedium orchids of Illinois.

Cypripedium acaule

.Cypripedium x andrewsii

Cypripedium candidum

Cypripedium parviflorum

Cypripedium reginae

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

So much to look up again! The little Bluets are from almost white to purple in color, but I think the flowers with the ladybug are something else. The flowers are even smaller. Should look at the leaves.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's probably a different species. I forgot about looking at the weed lists for the Carolinas with that other plant. I've gotten s few ID's that way. It's 55 outside right now.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I didn’t even know this website. Bookmarked it now though.

Your German Knotweed is even up here! Ugh. I thought I had recognized that sprawling like plant before. The one recorded sighting only a few hundred yards from me. Interesting comment on the Mn Wildflowers site.

Interestingly a tincture of its essence is being marketed as a treatment for those suffering from indecision, lack of poise and balance. I can't decide if I should try it or not...

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I don't recall ever seeing German knotweed, but it could be easily overlooked if it was growing in turf or in a group of plants. You could learn how to make your own tinctures and save money. Supplements are a big ripoff. The marketers use fear to push their products. I just got a book about making tinctures. Stinging nettle tinctures are used in the same way, to balance and normalize the mind. Dandy, do you grow any Amelanchiers?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

First time I have seen it in my yard. If a weed is somewhere close on a map, I probably have it somewhere.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

More weeds, more caterpillars. I have to see if I can ID your plant with the white flowers.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I looked at all the Houstonia species that are native to South Carolina and the closest match I could find is Houstonia canadensis. I think the flower color is variable. Yours are plain white, some show pinkish colors. Take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think.

Houstonia canadensis

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am going to dig one of them up. Hard to see anything in these tangles of weeds. Going to take some pictures of some of the messes out there so you yay feel sorry for me. Not really, but it’s way past the time to mow. It’s not pretty like a prairie kind of place.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I just read that the Gomphocarpus cancellatus seeds should germinate in a week. It's been at least 2 weeks. It says it's important to use fresh seeds. I don't know if mine were fresh? There are a couple places in the U. K. where you can buy seeds, but it sounds risky. One place is selling one fresh(?) seed for 1.25 pounds, and the other place is selling seed packets for 10 euros but they say they have no idea how many seeds are in a packet. I'll just have to try growing it again some other time. It's too late to start over now. It would be another 2 or 3 weeks before I'd get them. It's all good. I'm growing a bunch of other awesome milkweeds. It warmed up a lot, but now there are thunderstorms. It was already muddy out there.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Here it is. Could be? In a more scraggly way.

Do you think the picture below could be Widows frill? There was some in that area a few years ago, but it didn’t come back last year. Now there are about ten small plants looking like this

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

That’s a bummer about your seeds. If these people don’t know how many seeds are in a packet they probably don’t know if they are fresh either. Hopefully you will find a closer source.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I still say it's Houstonia canadensis. The other white flowered Houstonia species have very different leaves. I could put a heating pad under the bins and see if the warmth helps germination? I'll take a look at that grassy plant. I can blow up pics if I access this thread through my email.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

A new native for shade, Collisonia canadensis. It's in the mint family Lamiaceae. It's a host and food plant for many insects including some moth species. This plant also have a lot of medicinal value.

Collinsonia canadensis, Lamiaceae, Lamiales, stone root, richweed.

Range of Collinsonia canadensis.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/richweed.html

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'm not sure about the other plant. It could be a grass or a lily. It might help to see the roots/bulbs.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

This is another African milkweed I'd love to grow.

Asclepias albens

Asclepias albens

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am going to have to read up on all this tonight. Don’t worry about my grassy plant. I might still have a widows frill in another flower bed. If I can find it, I will just compare.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Have you ever noticed how many different kind of little purple flowers there are early Spring? Just two pictures of the state of the “lawn”.

I could probably spend hours on that weed website. Now some nicer pictures. First butterfly picture of the year

Wonder what flower the bee has gotten into.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Is that Glechoma in the second pic? It forms nice purple drifts and patches in my yard. What are the tiny flowers in that pic?

Yes-I grow Amelanchiers, but not sure what kind. I would like to find some good ones with good flowers and fruit. The ones I have are not very attractive looking and grow slowly.

My 30 day wonders going in for nap today before getting covered over in the snowbank. It's been above freezing for the third day now and it rained about an inch to warm up the soil a little. The rectangular one on the left has four of your Milkweeds Jay. There's some evergreen Polymonium reptans on the ground in there too. One of my favorite spring bloomers. Something everybody should have.

Polymonium reptans

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, I really don’t know what this all is. Well, I do know the clover. The little purple flowers look like this. More tiny purplish flowers with 4 petals.

I do know the dead nettle and henbit They just don’t usually get to be in this huge patches....

Dandy, this is looking great. Weird to look at snow. It was 75 degrees here today. Thunderstorms tonight and getting cooler again though. Going to have to look up the Polymonium, too.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Slowly going down the list of all the pictures. The Clematis viorna looks like one I have growing. Or at least very close. Can’t find a picture of mine to compare.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Do I understand it correctly that the purple field pansies are the only ones native? They are showing up by the dozens, so I thought I should look it up.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Is that a picture of an introduced field pansy or the native ones? They are in the Viola genus. Looks like Viola arvensis and Viola tricolor are the common introduced field pansies. They dont look consistently purple but can be purple. Viola bicolor aka Viola rafinesquii is the native purple one.

Anyone have dwarf cinquefoil (Potentilla canadensis) growing at their place? It was mentioned in a lawn alternative trial described here https://landscapearchitecturemagazine.org/2014/05/20/turf-trials-for-sustainable-lawns/

I was looking at pictures of the dwarf cinquefoil and it looks like it would fill the role ground ivy glechoma hederacae is occupying in my yard. Similar low stoloniferous growth habit between other clump forming plants.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It hopefully is the native one. Looking at picture of the plant you asked about, it looks familiar. Going to check in my yard tomorrow. Hopefully it’s not the same one, the one I have is a pain.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, I would put the flower with the 4 petals on name that plant. They all love your yard over there lol. There's a lot of plants with 4 petals, especially in the mustard family.

Skip, I don't have any dwarf cinquefoil around here.Tennessee Wholsale Nursery sells them. The minimum amount of plants you can order is 25. That's awesome about it filling the role of ground ivy! I'm pretty sure I don't have any, but I'll be looking out for it. It isn't native here. It grows in Ohio and Missouri but not here. New Jersey is it's hotspot. It's probably growing close by. There was a species that looked identical that I would see around as a kid. It's possible it was the same species. All the land has been 'developed' in that area since.

Potentilla canadensis

Save    

I have a couple of Potentillas growing in my yard areas but not sure what species they are. Those leaves sure look familiar tho. I thought the leaves on mine were strawberry, but I'm going to have to look closely this year and see if they have yellow flowers. But I believe in my case it would be P simplex, a similar type.

Those turf trials look really interesting. Sure would be nice if those lawns took hold here, esp with my next door neighbor.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's growing on me. I like it now!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The Potentilla I saw around here also had 5 leaflets so it had to be Potentilla simplex.

Potentilla simlex.

Potentilla simplex

Potentilla canadensis

Potentilla canadensis

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I have been searching for this plant for a long time. It has been at the top of the wanted list since the beginning. I just ordered 2 plants from Woodthrush Native Nursery.

Hieracium venosum

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

1 Like Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I just looked. Mine are definetly the wild strawberries.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Fragaria vesca

Fragaria vesca

Fragaria virginiana

Fragaria virginiana

Walssteinia fragaroides

Waldsteinia fragaroides

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I might have some wild strawberry but I also have the imposter mock strawberry Duchesnea indica

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I have that one, too. Sometimes it feels it’s better not to look too closely around.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Interesting plants. I wasn't familiar with the Duchesnea.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Any idea what this is? Just saw it while I was looking for the other plants.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I have no idea what it is. It looks like something from outer space. I would put this and the plant with 4 petals on name that plant.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Does that feel a little prickly? It looks like my phlox subulata but the leaves dont look sharp enough

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Guess I should take out the ruler. I hope I don’t have to dig that one up.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I will check if it feels prickly.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It’s not prickly. It’s softer than I thought it would be. I took a bunch of pictures of plants I don’t know. Even had to think which of the many weeds with tiny purple flowers I wanted to take pictures of. Obviously I don’t know much. Going to try to figure some of them out myself before going to Name that Plant. Still want to read up on the stuff Jay posted pictures of. At least this will keep me too busy to browse plant catalogs. More little purple.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Figured the last picture out. Ivyleaf speedwell. I am on a roll!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That looks like a Veronica. I think it would help if you lifted the stems of that sprawling plant so we could see it from the other side. It looks matted down.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I think I might take that one to Name that plant. I browsed the NC weed website and the only one looking kind of like it there is Facelis. But I don’t see hair on mine. Edited to say maybe there is hair?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)
Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, I would have guessed the shepards purse. I get those.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Packera obovata is supposed to be a good ground cover for shade.

Packera obovata, subtribe,Senecioninae, tribe, Senecioneae, supertribe, Senecionodae, subfamily, Asteroideae, family, Asteraceae, order, Asterales. ragwort.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/savanna/plants/rl_ragwort.html

North American range of Packera obovata.

Northern Metalmark Butterfly, Calephelis borealis

Calephelis borealis

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

http://mowildflowers.net/

Missouri Wildflowers sells Euphorbia corollata plants. They have some awesome vines and trees too! A couple native buckthorns. No red mulberry. A threatened Clematis, C. crispa. I have been tempted to get their yellow flowering Lonicera flava for a couple years. They have Erigeron pulchellus plants. Praire Moon was the only place selling seeds, and they've been out for 2 years.

Erigeron pulchellus, Robin's plantain.

Lonicera flava.

Frangula caroliniana, Carolina buckthorn.

Clinopodium arkansanum, calamint.

Berchemia scandens, native liana.

Carex erburnea, cedar sedge.

Arundaria gigantea, native bamboo.

Carex muskingumensis, palm sedge. I had 2 plants. They spread like crazy. New plants form at the ends of the leaves and root.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It’s the first time for me to have the Shepherds purse showing up. Of course it could have been in the lawn and mowed over before flowering before. Have a whole medicine cabinet out there it seems.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You get a lot of nice things too. It's very interesting getting all those different plants.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I've had it coming up in the patio bricks. They make a lot of seeds.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Well, it’s supposed to stay dry the next week. That means my husband will probably mow next weekend. So there are tons of plans I probably will never know since they look like they would flower in Summer.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I like your pictures because there's always layers of other plants in the pictures.

1 Like Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Thank you! And not exactly a lot of grass showing up in my lawn....

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Mine too.

So much for doing anything outside today lol!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Wow! Aren’t you getting tired of Winter?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Well, yes, but there's still 4 more weeks of guarenteed cold, which is good because I have a bin to sow that only needs 4 weeks lol. There's not enough snow to shovel and it's supposed to melt. I don't have any idea what species that plant is Iris. I had a couple Mexican Hats that were barely holding on, and they dissapeared right after I saw a deer staring at them!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

There are still seeds left?! My Mexican hat did really well last year.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

A few last minute seeds. Hedeoma pulegoides, American pennyroyal and Cunila origanoides which is a good groundcover for dry shade.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I've often wondered if you could use a slit seeder to overseed a weed lawn to make it a little more lawn-like without killing everything first. I suspect my yard was never really properly seeded with grass because it is also completely a mixture of weeds and miscellaneous turf grasses.

Jay, was your palm sedge in wet area?

I filled another wheel barrow with japanese honeysuckle, osage orange, burning bush and multiflora rose yesterday. I pulled out some good size root crowns which felt like a win, but the carpet of honeysuckle vines is expansive. Its creeping all around my "lawn", now that Im looking around in the winter when nothing else is growing. I should be able to weaken the plants with all this pulling, then im going to spray it, I think its the only way to control this vine and the rest of the unwanted vegetation. I'll go around and place flags next to plants I want to keep like the boneset and cherry seedlings. Hopefully just a little short term pain for a longer term benefit.

Rose hips anyone? Notice these made it all the way through the winter and none of the birds or critters wanted them.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Is this a persimmon tree?

Jay-I have the Euphorbia corollata but it has never reseeded and the flowers are so small I never remember to try to collect seed. I will make an effort to so this year. I also have one or two different naive Honeysuckle. I did get seed and sowed some of them so will have to wait and see if I get more.

Skip-what a great haul of trash you got out of there. The fruits of your labor will be evident in a short time. Those weed trees are so ugly when not leafed out. After I slewed most of those weeds here, in a few short years I had all kinds of new woodsy natives coming up. Things like Viburnum dentatum, Elderberry, Chokecherry, Black Cherry, Dogwood, spruce and fir.

Keep up the good work.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I like the Euphorbia corollata, but I wasn't looking for it. I thought maybe Iris was. If I had wanted seed they had plants at the near by tallgrass prairie.

The trunk could.maybe be persimmon but looks more like dogwood.

The palm sedge was in a regular mesic situation and it still did well. I removed 1 of the mature plants because I was getting so many volunteers. I ordered an Erigeron pulchellus plant, and a plant that I want to use in the backround of a woodland planting. Aralia spinosa, hercules club. The leaves are beautiful!

I saw a robin digging for food in a patch of crownvetch. I felt ashamed! Decided to do something! Maybe I can have the Smilax wind though it, on it's way up an oak.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

This is new to me. Iodanthus pinnatifidus. A perennial in the mustard family. A nice native alternative to Hesperis matronalis, dame's rocket. It grows in shade and can take being flooded.

Iodanthus pinnatifidus, Cardamineae, Brasicaceae, Brasicales.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/purple_rocket.htm

Good to know all these plants in case one of us should decide to open a native nursery lol.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, my persimmon is just about 4 feet tall, so not much to compare. Showed the pictures to my daughter, she is leaning toward dogwood since the branches on your tree seem to be opposite. Don’t hold her to it, it has been 3 years since she took the class. The few branches on my little tree are arranged like this.

Going to catch up a bit later on what Jay wants me to plant now....

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

A very old dogwood? The tree in my picture is at least 50ft tall, up in the canopy with the black locusts. It does look like a giant version of the dogwood seedlings I planted now that you mention it, as far as branch structure.

Jay did you order the Aralia spinosa from the Missouri wildflowers link you posted earlier? I was thinking about that one too, for a deer resistant plant.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Wow, I thought I answered this??? Yes Skip, I ordered the A. spinosa from Missouri Wildflowers. I like the quality of the things I get from them and there prices are reasonable.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, it looks like you are making great headway. Hoping Jay’s weather cooperates to get things ready for all these seedlings. Dandy’s yard sounds about perfect already. Hope to see some pictures!

I found a bunch of the neighbor’s mimosa tree seedlings today. Thankfully they are down to four trees from the about 15 they had planted along the road. It also looks like my nightmare from last year is coming back. Lespedeza. L. cuneata, as identified on name that plant last year. There must be a hundred big ones on the property behind me, so I am probably going to fight them forever. What a pain to get out.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'm hoping it keeps the deer around here away too. I also ordered a Erigeron pulchellus plant. That was hard to find. The Cunila seeds came in.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I hope the Lespedezas violacea and capitattas spread like weeds. We have an endagered Lespedeza, leptostachya. You can't get seeds for it.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I read that the tallest flowering dogwoods can get is 40 ft. Persimmon bark is similar. I bet privets are harder to get rid of than Japanese honeysuckles.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Well, of course I ended up with an invasive kind. And it is really bad. In the past 3 years it pretty much took out the blackberry brambles on the property behind me. And that’s something. Really cute flowers, the bees love it. The roots are terrible to dig out.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip’s tree should get leaves soon, right? The Name that Plant forum could probably tell with a picture of the buds.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Buxkeyes use Plantago species as hostplants for their caterpillars.

Plantago major. An invasive from Eurasia that is now covering the continent.

Plantago lanceolata. The other all too familiar non native invasive.

You can give P. major stripes and colors but it's still an unattracive invasive to me.

This is better, Plantago virginica. A true native Plantago.

Another native plantain, Plantago rhodosperma.

This species I would love to have,, Plantago cordota.

And also this species, Plantago patagonica.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, I love the Erigeron plant. So pretty! When are you going to get your plants? I chose the first week of April for pretty much all my orders so far. Should probably have spread it out a bit. The plantains in my yard are looking really happy. There are a lot though. Still waiting for the weeds that look like cutweed (both green and silvery) to flower. Hopefully Ms Sherry will follow up on the Name that Plant forum, so I can compare to whatever I have.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I told them May 1st. I'll already have several plants needing planted at that point lol. I wanted to order the Lonicera flava too, but they only sell it in Sept. I want an Aronia melancarpa. Maybe I'll get that and the prunus serotina at the native plant sale. I do like the Erigeron a lot! I'm glad I have it now.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Lawns hold down property and keep it from blowing away which would be a threat. It would be easier if dirt didn't blow but it does so you need lawns which brings weeds and critters and allergies! Of course keep the lawn closely cropped so even the smallest grasshhopper can't visit unseen and also it will keep any nasty weeds from flowering and spreading pollen everywhere. Now, let's get 400 tulip bulbs and 20 pounds of rat poison???

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

At least I already have the chokeberry and cherry, so I am not tempted! My cherries are about to flower. Hope the expected frost doesn’t kill the flowers.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'm sorry for tempting you. Actually, I think every time I do though I buy something myself.lol I don't think there are any more nurseries left. Did you order the Erigeron? lol. There's an Erigeron species that's a thug weed at my old garden. It can get 4 feet tall and choke everything. I need to eradicate it comepletely. And now I'm going out of my way to grow a couple other Erigerons lol. I remember way back thinking that Missouri Wildflowers might be my last hope with a plant and here I am! I did get seeds for a similar looking Erigeron as a backup. Erigeron formosissimus.

Erigeron pulchellus Geum triflorum

Erigeron formosissimus

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

That erigeron is pretty. I dont think ill have to wait long to see if my mystery tree flowers like a dogwood.

You should have heard my wife trying to convince me to remove my little bluestem and baptisia from around the phlox subulata to "neaten" it up, and plant a butterfly bush she saw at sams club. Shes saying my front garden is going to hurt resale value. Even though we're not planning to move for like 30 years. Umm no, not a chance! Not gonna happen!

But gotta have that perfect lawn, clipped barberry, lime colored ball shaped bush, and a wheeping japanese maple (with a straight trunk) for curb appeal!

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am still waiting for an answer from Pine Ridge about what plants they will have from my wishlist before ordering more. The purple flowers look familiar. Like something I had in my yard last year and meant to identify. Had a lot of daisy looking white ones, too.

My neighbor went after his myrtles with a chainsaw today. Around here it’s called “crape murder”. Seems all the landscapers are still doing this, too. Makes me cringe.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

My roommate has become nocturnal. I'm going to redo everything while he's asleep. In the Missouri Wildflowers catalog they showed another way to create a bed. You cover the area you want to plant with plastic, then put mulch on top and wait for the grass to die. You can plant right through the mulch if you want. I have a big barberry and 2 lime colored ball shaped bushes. Only for a few more weeks....( biochar ).

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, what's left over after you rip out the jhs vines? Are there a lot of cut stubs that need herbicide applied to them? Is it mostly the one type of vine or more than 1 species of plant that you're pulling out?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The only thing my husband complains about is more circles to mow around when I plant more trees. Plus I need to keep his landing strip clear (he didn't fly his model plane in 2 years, but hopes to do so eventually). He also stood there complaining when I whacked away on a big privet a few years ago. He thinks they are pretty and smell nice. Now I cut them down as soon as I see them, problem solved.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Wow! I didn't know you had your own airfield too.lol! A plane would come in handy for me and my plant searches . I could cover a lot more ground haha! Drop missile plugs! :)>

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha. They are not that big. He does have a drone, too. Got in trouble with me for crash landing that in my flower bed.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, the Carex muskingunensis, palm sedge did well with average rainfall and it went into overdrive when there was a lot of rain. I had to keep pulling it back from nearby plants.

1 Like Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I just wrote a big long post with a picture and it didnt post. Anyway, theres a lot left to do, lots more poison ivy, a mature burning bush, norway maple tree, and honey suckle sprouts. Some thick woody vine with smooth bark. A potential tree of heaven sapling on the far side of the ditch I have to sneak over and ID. I am pulling alot of the JHS but it will just come back from root fragments, the roots snap off pretty easily which is why i think im going to have to spray it when it starts growing back. Also this mock orange is coming up everywhere, which isnt the worst thing in the world, but still might get in the way.

I just sowed another tray 15 plugs Eragrostis spectabilis and 23 plugs Chasmanthium laxum. I have another tray of 38 cells then Im all out of trays. Im going to do 6 hypericum prolificum, 2 Sorghastrum nutens, 15 elymus hystrix, 15 panicum oligosanthes. So if everything I sowed comes up i will have 21 trays of plants= 780 plugs and 12 4" pots. Plus 3 milk jugs. I have a few more decorative pots for tropical milkweed, Nassella tenuissima, and sensitive plant. Then Im going to try direct seeding some Echinacea 'prairie splendor' so there are pretty compact flowers that bloom forever and my wife cant complain that im growing a bunch of small flowered weeds.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

And, that's a short comment lol. I wrote about 3 long comments today and lost them too! I have 3 mature burning bushes to knock off, make that 4. The Wiegelia and the burning bush at the old garden have to go along with the 2 butterfly bushes if they survived. I didn't get any germination on the Mimosa pudica seeds. They were collected from my plant. Hopefully the ones you have are better but don't hold any high hopes. Sounds like a lot of grasses. I do want to expand colonies of the no mow ones everywhere. Is that a fragrant Philodelphus ?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I read about surrounding plants with grasses to fool deer into leaving them alone, and if they colonize thats good by me.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip,I think it's cool that instead of planting buddleias you're planting an Aralia spinosa! Using all these species; it's kinda like terraforming a planet, except it's a yard. Having such an effect on the wildlife that will come is very awesome.

I'm guessing your mock orange is Philadelphus inodorus, because it's the only species native there, and it's name answers the other question about it being fragrant. It's not! Somebody once said " A mock orange with no scent isn't worth the ground it's growing in lol"!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

It could Philadelphus coronarius which has denticulate or dentate leaf margins, where P. inodorus has entire leaf margins.

https://gobotany.newenglandwild.org/species/philadelphus/inodorus/

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I know you live in that general southwest corner by the state, but is coronarius shown to be in your county on the map? I wonder if they hybridize? I look at the leaves of both species and then compare them to yours, but they all look kind of similar it's not easy telling the 2 species apart by the leaves.

https://www.growingwildnursery.com/products/asclepias-lanceolata

You all must buy this plant asap lol!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I wish! I looked for it since you first put it in my head. Let me know if you find plants somewhere. Unless you buy the whole stock first.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I wouldn't grow the lanceolata and rubra even if I could find plants. I've got enough things swinging already. I just think they are 2 of our most beautiful native Asclepias species, and that no one I can possibly think of deserves to be growing them more than you or Skip, Iris. I just met somebody close by who wants amplexicaulis and quadrifolia too. We're teaming up lol!

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I signed up to be notified when they come back in stock!

Jay my county is lit up light blue for P. coronarius on that Bonap map. Im in the southern part of the county. It could have been planted on purpose at some point too, its right on the property line.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You never smelled any sweet frangrance wafting off of them? It's weird that a scentless one and the other known for frangrance would be growing so close together. These are all plants from the thicket between properties? We had a mock orange bush when I was a kid. My dad would hack it back so far it rarely bloomed. It smelled nice.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

He who asks is given! He who seeks finds! The door is opened for him who knocks!

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I dont recall a scent but it might be scented. Yes there are a lot of plants in that thicket.

Here is is last year june 9th before the fence went in. The mock orange is visible on the far left but is has spread. I cant even tell 1/2 of what is in there

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It looks nicer from a distance when you don't know it's all made up of invasive weeds. I like the layout, the way it flows, the way you decided to mow it, whatever. I see lots of potential. I'd love to have that large an area to work with! Do you think the mock orange vollunteered or do you think it was planted there on purpose?

1 Like Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, you would be able to pass on a milkweed if you find one available? That’s remarkable self restraint!

Skip, I love your area there!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yes Iris, I would! And then directly afterwards I would make some insane, totally, self indulgent purchase to make up for it lol!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

On the bright side, one of us might have seeds for you!

I ripped out about half a wheelbarrow full of my Frog Fruit. Love that plant, but it is certainly going for world domination. It is also taking over on the lawn side. I don’t mind that at all.

I found dozens of tiny seedlings in one area of a flower bed. All I had growing there last year were Rue, Frostweed, Zinnia, Goldenrod and a Hairy Balls milkweed. These seedlings don’t look any like that. Remind me, I don’t know, of lily? calla lily? Odd. But why am I still surprised about weird stuff popping up?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Flowers and Plants Great Native Plant: Grow Wild Quinine for Its Unique Clusters of Blooms
Get connoisseur cred and unique blooms with this uncommon plant. Bonus assets: It’s low maintenance and drought tolerant
Full Story
Northeast Native Plants Grow a Brilliant Seasonal Screen and Feed the Birds With Woodbine
Plant this fast-growing vine to green up a blank spot, add fall color and offer berries for birds
Full Story
Southeast Native Plants Great Design Plant: Grow Blueberries for Their Fruit and More
Eastern gardeners should consider growing blueberry plants for their delicious fruits, bee-friendly spring blooms and brilliant fall foliage
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More