SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celtiakris

Shower base mismatch - what to do?

CeltiaKris
5 years ago

A year ago, we tore apart our master bath, got a new cultured onyx shower base installed, and followed up with almost everything else by last summer. We found the base to be slightly yellower than we thought it would be, but livable. We then covered the base with cardboard, put everything away, and lived our busy lives for the next few months.

Today, we wanted to start on the measuring & shimming planning for the shower walls. So we pulled up the cardboard covering the base and found our slightly too yellow base was now grossly too yellow. It no longer matches the sample. And with the other colors in the room - bright white vanity, grey counter - the yellow is jarring. I jave some pictures but they don’t quite match what I see with my eyes.

Can I bleach the base to a whiter shade? Will the yellowing just keep progressing? Should I bite the bullet & remove this base? There is no flange under the tile, so removal, while challenging, could possibly occur without damage to the floor.

We’re doing most of the work ourselves, and I certainly didn’t budget for 2 shower bases, or 2 plumber installations. But I keep asking myself if I can live with this for 15-20 years.

Additional notes:

These are a mix of nicer finishes and some more affordable, but I consider none of this to be ”builder basic” and none to be high end (except the planned Hansgrohe shower fixtures).

I do NOT want a tile floor. I hate housekeeping and have no time for it. I love the warmth of plastic shower floors (IMO, much better than cast iron or tIle - not a popular opinion here, I know).

We have Wedi panels & sealant for the waterproofing & foundation layer.

Looking for any advice or opinions you care to offer.

Comments (6)